Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will it time to start worrying about Russia?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Who's side would you rather be on when Putin and Obama have a massive fall out?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If there's a ding dong between Russia and the US, no kit bag will be big enough for the troubles coming our way!!!!
This is what I can't understand people not understanding!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
America is appalling at Diplomacy. Russia goes for the brinkmanship, shout loudly and carry a big stick school of negotiation. Irreconcilable, but both hopeless in their own way.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Putin is not the idiot people try to make out. The Russian economy is up the creek, so how do you placate the poor populous? We'll show those corrupt capitalists we aren't afraid of them. Let's annexe Crimea, become involved in Ukraine and Syria. The west will do nothing as they're afraid of upsetting their oil rich masters and because NATO is a fractured joke due to the disintegration of he EU.

In what way is the Russian economy up the creek?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Speaking as someone of Polish descent, I don't think I've ever stopped worrying about Russia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In what way is the Russian economy up the creek?
It relies on oil revenues, which have tumbled, it's riddled with corruption, the Russian currency has dropped like a stone.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
When will it time to start worrying about Russia?

For months now all I've seen is people arguing about ISIS, immigration and which is better, labour or conservatives, isn't it time we started worrying about something which could ultimately wipe out huge amounts of people..?

The exact time will be when the many satellites monitoring Russian military installations show any unusual large scale mobilisation and deployment of conventional forces all heading West or detect an ICBM launch signature ..... sweet dreams.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

It relies on oil revenues, which have tumbled, it's riddled with corruption, the Russian currency has dropped like a stone.

Those links are mostly old news and Russia responded swiftly to the economic threats it faced. It has a enormous economy, the third largest in the world behind US and China, and has massive capacity to withstand and ride out economic shocks. It relies on oil for only about 15% of it's income and has built up huge reserves through its long standing trade balance surpluses. They chose to use some of those surpluses to funded the devaluation of the rouble:

russia-balance-of-trade.png

as a comparison, here's the UK's trade deficit over those 10 years:

united-kingdom-balance-of-trade.png

They've introduced a period of relative austerity as a result of sanctions announced earlier in the year but still manage a budget deficit of only 3% (as opposed to the UK's unexpected good 5%).

I agree that Russia is riddled with corruption but it's economy ain't going down the tubes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we shouldnt worry about Russia, they are trying to prop up their only ally outside the old Soviet, and will inflict some hurt on an enemy of ours. theres not going to be escalation, no invasion of Turkey, or threats leading to all out war with the West. the whole point of proxy wars are that you have to have a war yourself.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
answer to the thread title

ALWAYS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those links are mostly old news and Russia responded swiftly to the economic threats it faced. It has a enormous economy, the third largest in the world behind US and China,

your going to have to back that up because the World Bank and IMF count them as 10th. they need an oil price of over $100 bbl to balance their budget, either substantial cuts or burning reserves to make up the short fall

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Those links are mostly old news and Russia responded swiftly to the economic threats it faced. It has a enormous economy, the third largest in the world behind US and China, and has massive capacity to withstand and ride out economic shocks. It relies on oil for only about 15% of it's income and has built up huge reserves through its long standing trade balance surpluses. They chose to use some of those surpluses to funded the devaluation of the rouble:

russia-balance-of-trade.png

as a comparison, here's the UK's trade deficit over those 10 years:

united-kingdom-balance-of-trade.png

They've introduced a period of relative austerity as a result of sanctions announced earlier in the year but still manage a budget deficit of only 3% (as opposed to the UK's unexpected good 5%).

I agree that Russia is riddled with corruption but it's economy ain't going down the tubes.
Russia does not have the 3rd largest economy, it is 10th with the UK amongst others larger.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
your going to have to back that up because the World Bank and IMF count them as 10th. they need an oil price of over $100 bbl to balance their budget, either substantial cuts or burning reserves to make up the short fall

Russia does not have the 3rd largest economy, it is 10th with the UK amongst others larger.

Mea culpa, I should've checked. Using the IMF & World Bank's preferred GDP measure based on PPP, Russia is ranked 6th not 3rd (and UK 9th). That doesn't detract from my main point however, that as a key player in the BRICS trading alliance, Russia has an extremely robust economy and with it's massive financial reserves is well placed to ride out a financial storm.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Russia is doing to ISIS and Al Qaeda what i thought we were supposed to be doing, and what a lot of people, particularly on NSC chat were asking for in Syria. After that, maybe they can assist Iraq. As far as Im aware, ISIS still has control of Ramadi that was going to be retaken from them in a week, but that was about 3 months ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here