Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Colunga leaves

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely a damning indictment - if one were needed - of our late unlamented recruitment policy that we're finding it so difficult to move some of those signings on - in some cases, it would seem, we can't even give them away!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely a damning indictment - if one were needed - of our late unlamented recruitment policy that we're finding it so difficult to move some of those signings on - in some cases, it would seem, we can't even give them away!
The late unlamented recruitment policy that put the club in a position to turn down £2m profit for Stephens.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The late unlamented recruitment policy that put the club in a position to turn down £2m profit for Stephens.
Where did I say they never got anything right? That's right, I didn't. How does that saying go? - give a thousand monkeys a thousand typewriters and in a thousand years they'll have written the complete works of Shakespeare - or something like that.
Baldock came in at the same time, and he seems to be doing alright at the moment. Don't think anyone - apart from you maybe! - would disagree with the opinion that our recruitment was cr a p. Even TB seemed to think so, and sacked Burke. What's the often used expression on NSC about last summer's transfer window? - oh yes, I remember - 'Panic buys'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where did I say they never got anything right? That's right, I didn't. How does that saying go? - give a thousand monkeys a thousand typewriters and in a thousand years they'll have written the complete works of Shakespeare - or something like that.
Baldock came in at the same time, and he seems to be doing alright at the moment. Don't think anyone - apart from you maybe! - would disagree with the opinion that our recruitment was cr a p. Even TB seemed to think so, and sacked Burke. What's the often used expression on NSC about last summer's transfer window? - oh yes, I remember - 'Panic buys'.
I agree the recruitment on the whole would seem to be crap, Burke paid for that with his job, fair enough.

Nobody said during Derby's interest in Stephens 'blimey that was a cracking bit of business by Burke'.
But it takes no time at all for the failures to be landed solely at his door.

I have no interest in defending DB, but damning indictments ought to balanced out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
To be honest if you want to find an example of poor recruitment I think there are plenty in the queue ahead of Colunga. A technically gifted player with the only doubts for me being temperament (that sending off!) which he shares with many successful signings, and application. If the style of play had been right then it could so easily have worked for him. If he had shown the level of commitment we need in English football he might have been another Spanish Dave or an Andrea Orlandi.
Just because it didn't quite click doesn't mean it couldn't have worked. Fine margins/happens all the time and all that.
He came (relatively) cheap and I think the earlier suggestion he was due a bumper bonus after 20 games makes total sense. It's the only reason I can see that explains his total exclusion from match day squads.
Didn't work out but no hard feelings and good luck to him finding a decent club in January. I have no doubt at all that he will.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting. Probably cost us a fair old wedge to pay him off or at least come to some arrangement.
I expect we've paid him up to January.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How does that saying go? - give a thousand monkeys a thousand typewriters and in a thousand years they'll have written the complete works of Shakespeare - or something like that.
Infinite monkeys, infinite typewriters, infinite time (with the condition that paper is auto loaded).

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
2015-10-07-20-47-45--1043836336.jpeg

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Just imagine if we were singing foreign nobodies like Colunga 40 years ago we would never have singed Peter Ward, why give a lower league striker a chance when you can sing rubbish like Colunga. Vardy has proved you can still step up from Non League to the Prem

and England, even !!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be honest if you want to find an example of poor recruitment I think there are plenty in the queue ahead of Colunga. A technically gifted player with the only doubts for me being temperament (that sending off!) which he shares with many successful signings, and application. If the style of play had been right then it could so easily have worked for him. If he had shown the level of commitment we need in English football he might have been another Spanish Dave or an Andrea Orlandi.
Just because it didn't quite click doesn't mean it couldn't have worked. Fine margins/happens all the time and all that.
He came (relatively) cheap and I think the earlier suggestion he was due a bumper bonus after 20 games makes total sense. It's the only reason I can see that explains his total exclusion from match day squads.
Didn't work out but no hard feelings and good luck to him finding a decent club in January. I have no doubt at all that he will.

Sensible post. Good luck to the fella, hope he finds a decent club and is a success.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Good luck to him. Best for all parties. Is there anyone else who falls into this category?
Do we need four goalkeepers at our club?
Holla will be next, was loan interest from one L1 club but that seems to have ended for now

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It was never clear at the time of Colunga's signing whether he had actually cost the Albion a fee or not. Confirmation from the horse's mouth in the Argus today. They have quotes from the player and Chris Hughton, and Colunga is quoted thus:-

I feel phenomenally good physically. It's strange. It is the first time I have ever been a free agent in my career. Clubs have paid big fees for me three times. I've been transferred for three million euros twice and 1.5million euros last summer.

It also means that Colunga should have been included amongst the top 5 of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s article here - The ELEVEN most expensive players in Albion history

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I agree the recruitment on the whole would seem to be crap, Burke paid for that with his job, fair enough.

Nobody said during Derby's interest in Stephens 'blimey that was a cracking bit of business by Burke'.
But it takes no time at all for the failures to be landed solely at his door.

I have no interest in defending DB, but damning indictments ought to balanced out.
I've pointed out a couple of times, albeit slightly toungue in cheek, that Stephens was a Burke signing - Oscar certainly didn't scout him! If he continues the form he's in this year, it may even offset the **** ups on Kemy and Colunga!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why can't he sign for a new club right way if he's a free agent ???

I think it's because he was already registered as our player at the start of the season, so some rule or other stops him becoming someone else's player until January.

I don't really understand it, but I thought exactly the same thing when Adebayor left the Spuds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here