Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5p for a carrier bag......!!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Please don't look at us like we've just killed your cat, we hate it too.

Sincerely,
Retail workers

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So why stop at plastic bags? Why not drink cans, lager, bitter, cider, coke, etc - all littering public areas and not biodegradeable. Or plastic bottles?

I repeat:

Obviously plastic bags are not the only source of this pollution but baby steps and mighty oaks and all that.

Mayhem out there.

CQiNxt1WgAEvHEQ.jpg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Or put kittens in them to throw in the river, thereby reducing the money required by old dears to feed their cats, and allowing us to freeze the old age pension for a while?

you really are some kind of knob
laugh it up tory you have got 4 years

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
WHAT?

Are you saying a Labour government will reverse the 5p a bag tax/levy/donation?

B'stards.

think he is a little peeved because he has a Labour MP
he also does not realise cats are dumb animals(and I know its one of my loves but why oh why keep bringing it up in every thread?)

kjgood

Firstly where have you been for the last year? This has been in force in Wales for some years and the positive effects are plain to see. Most people take their own bags to the supermarket with them and in other shops where items were put in a bag for really no reason are now not, and you know what? the world hasnt stopped. In fact its actually easier to carry home the weekly shop.

Other posters are correct, the Government do not receive the 5p charged,companies calculate the monies collected and send to their nominated charity. I keep a 'bag for life' in the boot of the car just in case and my wife normally has a carrier bag in her handbag just in case she calls into the shop. It really isnt a problem.

. I keep a 'bag for life' in the boot of the car just in case and my wife normally has a carrier bag in her handbag just in case she calls into the shop. It really isnt a problem.

I'm going to reverse the whole car through the window nearest the checkout and fill the boot up.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Tory party behind this I reckon.

Scandalous.

:(
Rubbish [and it IS] A no brainer. I'd make it 20p. OK it won't stop every selfish scum littering the countryside but it helps a lot. You could offset it by having a maximum charge of 10p for using public loos.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Rubbish [and it IS] A no brainer. I'd make it 20p. OK it won't stop every selfish scum littering the countryside but it helps a lot.

so what your saying is the same person who would discard a plastic bag in the countryside wouldn't discard a sweet wrapper, can, sandwich box, crisp packet etc in the countryside. the only waste in the world is the plastic carrier bag?

amusing to see it at work today. local supermarket doesn't even have bags available, so everyone has to carry their sandwiches. small victory for the environment, who wants a 2p fee on their crisps now?

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
so what your saying is the same person who would discard a plastic bag in the countryside wouldn't discard a sweet wrapper, can, sandwich box, crisp packet etc in the countryside. the only waste in the world is the plastic carrier bag?

amusing to see it at work today. local supermarket doesn't even have bags available, so everyone has to carry their sandwiches. small victory for the environment, who wants a 2p fee on their crisps now?
A sweet wrapper does not strangle fish and voles etc. Amazed it's an issue but then I suppose some idiot must be chucking all that litter on the ground.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Who's going to pay 5p for a carrier bag when you can get a shopping trolley for £1 ???
Better still the metal shopping baskets are free - might even weigh them in once I've collected a few indoors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here