Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quality striker away from Automatic Promotion...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The football that Hughton has got us playing and the self belief he has instilled into the team in comparison to last season is nothing short of amazing!

However, I can't help thinking our failure to land Calleri or Vydra before the transfer window closed could put paid to our auto promotion hopes.
Baldock does add a lot to the side (as was apparent when we drew a blank at Wolves away) but he missed two gilt edged chances today, I was really hoping he would find some goalscoring form after going close on several occasions in previous matches but he is not clinical enough if we want to stay in the top 2. Still not fully sold on Hemed's ability to score goals consisntently like Ulloa used to either.

Such a shame as our defence and central midfield pairing really are quality.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The football that Hughton has got us playing and the self belief he has instilled into the team in comparison to last season is nothing short of amazing!

However, I can't help thinking our failure to land Calleri or Vydra before the transfer window closed could put paid to our auto promotion hopes.
Baldock does add a lot to the side (as was apparent when we drew a blank at Wolves away) but he missed two gilt edged chances today, I was really hoping he would find some goalscoring form after going close on several occasions in previous matches but he is not clinical enough if we want to stay in the top 2. Still not fully sold on Hemed's ability to score goals consisntently like Ulloa used to either.

Such a shame as our defence and central midfield pairing really are quality.

Not knocking Hemed or Baldock but if we had a top grade striker we would be out of touch right now.

Got to agree, noticeable since the start of the season. A seriously good striker would be filling his boots right now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fully agree we lack a clinical finisher.
I was disappointed when we signed Baldock in particular and nothing has changed my mind. He is definitely CMS mkII.
Rest of the team is looking good now though and such a turn around from last season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are a work in progress and the progress has been amazing. Try not to be too greedy :smile:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was disappointed when we signed Baldock in particular and nothing has changed my mind. He is definitely CMS mkII.
Rest of the team is looking good now though and such a turn around from last season.

I like Baldock a lot but he's not going to score 20 goals.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
You would imagine that playing for a top championship side will be an attractive proposition in the loan window

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I like Baldock a lot but he's not going to score 20 goals.

Can you explain why you like Baldock a lot in case there's something I'm missing. I've tried but I simply can't find any part of his game that I rate.

He did have a superb first touch on one particular
ball up to him today, I'll give him that, but as usual he then squandered the chance he'd created.
For me he's just woeful at this level. Another one who's good only at League One level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The boy from Buenos Aires will be with us in January or we buy back Leo so not worried. As long as we are in the top four still by Christmas.

Bloom would never buy back Ulloa from Leicester

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We are a work in progress and the progress has been amazing. Try not to be too greedy :smile:

I'm not trying to be greedy, as I say the turnaround compared to last season has been remarkable but when you have the chance and team capable of reaching the Premier League you have to grab it with both hands, as we have learned to our cost in the past couple of seasons.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

We need to replace Baldock - not nearly clinical enough

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
IMHO I think Baldock is a bit of an unsung hero, without him we wouldn't get into so many dangerous attacks, he reads the game well and is very technical. ......but agree not a clinical finisher

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The amount of opportunities both Hemed and Baldock have made as well as the goals make then a great pairing. It's always easy to think another striker would do better - but would they? They're both keeping and ex England International and a guy who was playing Champions League this time last year out of the side, so they must be doing something right!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I think Baldock and to some extent Hemed are lacking confidence to put the ball in the net. If a striker doesn't score or keeps missing golden opportunities their heads drop slightly. Just one goal will hopefully open fhe flood gates for them both. Its easy to say give them time . . . but give them time and encouragement and hopefully they will deliver.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Not knocking Hemed or Baldock but if we had a top grade striker we would be out of touch right now.

I said this today along with 26,000 others and more you are spot on my friend, all we lack now is a decent striker with dare i say it
" the eye of the Tiger " without doubt today, had we have had that striker it could quite have easily have ended up 6/7/8 -1 to us easily.
Fairplay to their keeper the only thing that stopped them from a monumental hammering was him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The only game we've failed to score in this season was when Baldock wasn't available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here