Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do YOU pronounce Lido

How do YOU pronounce Lido?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
£10m builds you a new indoor pool that people will use. Lidos are feast or famine depending on weather and there is a reason so many of them have failed. Saltdean was in a woeful state and whilst the idea and endeavour of the campaigners is to be applauded, I think it is unreasonable to expect the council to provide any more money with falling budgets and so much history that needs saving. The Lido CIC were handed the lease to a project that needed massive amounts of funding to become operational again so to ask for money from the council when the anticipated costs rise doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure Saltdean locals would disagree with me but I'm not so sure council tax payers from other parts of the city would.

There's a bit more to the story than just asking the council for more money. An existing sub station disappeared.

If you read the full press release you will see the council have been far from helpful. Not allowing people on site to carry out full surveys, a substation the council said was there has now vanished, and the council not releasing any funds yet throwing it at other projects around the city. So despite the council, the volunteers have raised £8 million and already spent 700 grand on a new plant room yet the power company and council can't or won't find the money for a new sub station, that was already meant to be there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lee do, but I stand on Lino.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a good one.

Chezzem Boys or Chesh-um Boys?
You sound like a local. They say 'boys' I think, which just sounds weird. With Lido, it's not obvious it's not English, so it's natural to use English pronunciation, but Bois looks French, so saying 'boys' is weird.

You sound like a local. They say 'boys' I think, which just sounds weird. With Lido, it's not obvious it's not English, so it's natural to use English pronunciation, but Bois looks French, so saying 'boys' is weird.

Closer to home is Lewes, twinned with Blois in France. But this isn't enough to stop many of the locals pronouncing the street that celebrates this pairing BLOYS Road.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There's a bit more to the story than just asking the council for more money. An existing sub station disappeared.

If you read the full press release you will see the council have been far from helpful. Not allowing people on site to carry out full surveys, a substation the council said was there has now vanished, and the council not releasing any funds yet throwing it at other projects around the city. So despite the council, the volunteers have raised £8 million and already spent 700 grand on a new plant room yet the power company and council can't or won't find the money for a new sub station, that was already meant to be there.
I know - I read it all. But it doesn't say that they believe the council are legally responsible for the substation and should pay for it. It said they requested a loan. If someone committed to a £10m project and had raised £8m and then asked me for a loan for £700000, I'm not sure I would be willing to lend it. If it is proven the council are liable/culpable for the substation then they should pay for it. But the main thrust of that PR seems to be how unfair it was that the council had committed no money to the project when other councils had. If you put in a bid, you stick to it. If there was no mention of the council providing money then it doesn't seem right to start whining about it now. By handing over the lease to a group that committed to raising the funds required for restoration rather than restoring it themselves, the council would seem to have made their decision as to whether put any funds into preserving it. Whether that decision is the right one is a topic for discussion but they are unlikely to change their minds now.

I am all for groups looking to preserve our heritage and have supported the Dreamland project myself. But there is a fair chance that a funfair in Margate will succeed and may well help regenerate the town. And I remain unconvinced that a fully restored Lido is sustainable and will bring major revenue to the town. It would be a massive shame if the building were lost but I don't agree with the principle of funding losses to keep it there. The CIC need to be self sustaining if it is to succeed and the fact that the council are unwilling to commit funds to it of any description shouldn't be a surprise. Whilst they may be right that the council have wasted money elsewhere, 'twas ever thus. I'm also aware that this is one side of the story and Albion history should make us all aware of hearing both sides - not just one side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know - I read it all. But it doesn't say that they believe the council are legally responsible for the substation and should pay for it. It said they requested a loan. If someone committed to a £10m project and had raised £8m and then asked me for a loan for £700000, I'm not sure I would be willing to lend it. If it is proven the council are liable/culpable for the substation then they should pay for it. But the main thrust of that PR seems to be how unfair it was that the council had committed no money to the project when other councils had. If you put in a bid, you stick to it. If there was no mention of the council providing money then it doesn't seem right to start whining about it now. By handing over the lease to a group that committed to raising the funds required for restoration rather than restoring it themselves, the council would seem to have made their decision as to whether put any funds into preserving it. Whether that decision is the right one is a topic for discussion but they are unlikely to change their minds now.

I am all for groups looking to preserve our heritage and have supported the Dreamland project myself. But there is a fair chance that a funfair in Margate will succeed and may well help regenerate the town. And I remain unconvinced that a fully restored Lido is sustainable and will bring major revenue to the town. It would be a massive shame if the building were lost but I don't agree with the principle of funding losses to keep it there. The CIC need to be self sustaining if it is to succeed and the fact that the council are unwilling to commit funds to it of any description shouldn't be a surprise. Whilst they may be right that the council have wasted money elsewhere, 'twas ever thus. I'm also aware that this is one side of the story and Albion history should make us all aware of hearing both sides - not just one side.

The project didn't realise that the council had removed the existing sub station. The council should replace what was there originally at their expense.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

The CIC is asking for a loan of approx £70,000 ( plus VAT) not £700,000, and the purpose of the loan is to replace a sub-station which everybody, including the Council and UK Power Networks, thought was still on -site.
The CIC was not given access to the site prior to bidding for the lease and therefore had no way of knowing that a new sub-station would be required.
You might not be aware that the Lido consists of more than just a swimming pool. Saltdean Library is housed there, and there are several meeting rooms which are hired out to Community groups.
There was also a gym , which has had to close because the part of the building it occupied was in such poor repair, , and a business offering beauty treatments.
The first phase of the CIC's plans include heating the pool in the Summer so that it's use will not be so weather dependent, and restoring the childrens paddling pool, and there will also be a cafe.
Total renovation of the rest of the complex will follow, providing Saltdean, and the wider area, with a fantastic community facility.
For all this to be jeopardised by the Council's refusal to sanction a loan of less than the Chief Executives annual salary is, in my opinion, disgraceful.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Back to the original question.......,..,I've always gone with Lee-dough although I'm sure either (that's ee-ther, although it could just as easily be eye-ther) is acceptable. Certainly up here in the Midlands I seem to be in the small minority and lie-dough is generally preferred.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
its Lie do for saltdean. surely everyone knows that. I have never heard anyone local ever call it the leedo.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
When I were a lad the Lido in Worthing was always the Leedo.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Dildo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here