Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paris goes car free today to tackle air pollution

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Much fairer than allowing people to drive based on the size of their bank balance or earnings as adopted by the UK. Ban everyone or no one but don't ban the less well off whilst the wealthy carry on without a care in the world.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Assume you are joking, but if not, there is always monopoly on a rainy day. On a more serious note, it might also give families a chance simply to wind down, spend some time at home or in the garden, and just enjoy each other's company.

But they would do that anyway, the idea itself is great, but for example on a Sunday. I travel to uckfield to pick my son up, so now that wouldn't be possible.
I also take him to see his great nan, again, not possible, as would take too long to get down and see her, then have him back home in time

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
HGs proposal was once every 3 months. Can you not pick your son up on a Saturday instead and go sees his great nan as a one off? It is not every Sunday although would be great if it was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Obviously one has to be practical and I did qualify my statement to that effect. Seeing your posy, I just tried to book a ferry at Dover on Xmas day and it did not let me, so it is quite possible to close down a ferry terminal. Buses and taxis -why do they need to run, if you have ample warning? Do not trains close down also on Xmas Day -try getting a train on Boxing Day to the Albion. It has all been done before, and CAN be done if we are serious. Though I fully accept you are simply asking the question, don't take this in any way personally, but if we are serious, then we have to cut through all the excuses that folk will give to continue to operate at their convenience.

It would hammer local sports though. No football, cricket or rugby fixtures on those days

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Much fairer than allowing people to drive based on the size of their bank balance or earnings as adopted by the UK. Ban everyone or no one but don't ban the less well off whilst the wealthy carry on without a care in the world.

I am not sure where you get the idea of ban from? This is surely an issue to do with climate change and quite why you try to introduce another element is beyond me. Read your last sentence again . .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't understand this.

Are you saying road tax should be proportional to bank balance, and those with overdrafts get it free ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But they would do that anyway, the idea itself is great, but for example on a Sunday. I travel to uckfield to pick my son up, so now that wouldn't be possible.
I also take him to see his great nan, again, not possible, as would take too long to get down and see her, then have him back home in time
Of course families do anyway -that is obvious but it would at least give them more time, but this is a minor point, accepted. However, your other point is exactly what I am talking about -a refusal to change because your convenience is more important than the environment. I am in no way a "tree hugger" (apologies to those who are -no offence meant) and in no way an expert on climate change, but just feel that if we need to reduce emissions, then this would be a good way to at least make a start. Majority scientific opinion would seem to back this up. And, with respect, if your trip to Uckfield cannot be put off to another Sunday, or at another time, or perish the thought, just miss one Sunday, then that is a poor show.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It would hammer local sports though. No football, cricket or rugby fixtures on those days

Yes, it would, agreed. Say one Sunday every three months, so on three Sundays throughout a season, you could not play. Might hammer those days, but hardly greatly affect a season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, it would, agreed. Say one Sunday every three months, so on three Sundays throughout a season, you could not play. Might hammer those days, but hardly greatly affect a season.

Old people wouldn't get Meals on Wheels, district nurses couldn't change dressings, families who don't live in the same town couldn't visit each other, etc etc

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
People over here would re-register their second car :(

Yes, sadly, if there is a chink in your armour, then folk will exploit it to their advantage. It has to be all or nothing - this would be too hard to police, and eventually and sadly, massively ignored, once folk realise that they can get away with it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Old people wouldn't get Meals on Wheels, district nurses couldn't change dressings, families who don't live in the same town couldn't visit each other, etc etc

Might not the first two examples come under the general idea of emergency vehicles? And as for your last one, are you seriously putting that up as a minus? One Sunday in 3 months?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so what you are asking is for the country to shut down 1 Sunday every 3 months. no work, no sports, no shopping, no shipping, flights or other travel, no newspaper or news, probably no TV. like a time warp the early 1900's, just sitting at home, maybe some will find it useful to go running or cycling.

some might like that, i dont think its going to be popular though.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
so what you are asking is for the country to shut down 1 Sunday every 3 months. no work, no sports, no shopping, no shipping, flights or other travel, no newspaper or news, probably no TV. like a time warp the early 1900's, just sitting at home, maybe some will find it useful to go running or cycling.

some might like that, i dont think its going to be popular though.

You are one of the last ones on here of whom I would have expected such exaggeration. I did not say no shopping, or no work, just no cars, though this would have an affect on shopping admittedly. You could try walking to a shop? Perhaps a compromise might be that public transport could run, if public opinion is so outraged? It may not be popular, certainly initially, you are quite right, but why would that be the case? Simply because folk can't be bothered, and let's face it, that is what it will amount to in many cases, should not be a reason. If there is an overwhelming reason, as stated, that at least public transport could run, then fine.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You are one of the last ones on here of whom I would have expected such exaggeration. I did not say no shopping, or no work, just no cars, though this would have an affect on shopping admittedly. You could try walking to a shop?

there's no exaggeration, these are consequences of the policy. how do the workers get to the shops; is there enough people locally how want to shop to justify opening? maybe urban shopping centers might be viable. we are highly dependent on the car, stopping travel would lead to stopping the modern world. i'm not sure thats a bad thing - i could probably live without it 4 times a year - but i see the impact it could have to a wider population.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I am not sure where you get the idea of ban from? This is surely an issue to do with climate change and quite why you try to introduce another element is beyond me. Read your last sentence again . .

I don't understand this.

Are you saying road tax should be proportional to bank balance, and those with overdrafts get it free ?

What I am saying is that the French have banned everyone from driving in Paris for a day, which in my mind is fair. The UK's approach via congestion charging and the like is to ban some people, but not others, and the deciding factor to whether or not you are banned is your ability to pay the charge. Therefore, if you are wealthy you can carry on using your car in the city, polluting as you wish, whilst those with lower incomes / bank balances cannot afford the charge and therefore cannot use their cars. I find this system of deciding who can drive in a city and who cannot very unfair.

Climate change is an issue for everyone, we all need to be addressing it, at the moment if you are wealthy you can ignore this, because you can afford to.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If only public transport was allowed, I know who would love it....

Tube,train,bus driver unions. Out on strike every last Sunday of the third month holding the country to ransom.😱

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
What I am saying is that the French have banned everyone from driving in Paris for a day, which in my mind is fair. The UK's approach via congestion charging and the like is to ban some people, but not others, and the deciding factor to whether or not you are banned is your ability to pay the charge.

actually the London CC at least is in effect a pollution tax, with exemptions for electric and small, low emission vehicles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think this should be linked to climate change, it should be because it's a bloody good idea.

I bet Paris was amazing, and very bizarre, a few weeks ago.

Down from the station to Kings Rd - The pier to whatever the road is that intersects Western Rd Vernon Terrace?

Open the pavements up to the cafes/restaurants.

One summer Sunday, plenty of advertising before hand, what's the worst that can happen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here