Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora "Too tired"

Feb 14, 2010
Which media? The tactics certainly backfired yesterday but I think that is what it was rather than BZ being too tired

Was it tactics, someone else said he was injured. Was he injured, was it tactics or was he tired? If tactics then really, what was CH playing at, if injury then, oh no, not with Zamora's record and if too tired, then that is not good enough for a 30 odd year old who does nothing but play football all day. Sticking your head on the sand will not get promotion. We did our business early and had a few weeks start on the main contenders who are now getting their act together. Our players have done very well and they have a chance to make a statement with home games coming up. They have to want it and be ready. No excuses.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It looked like the usual tactical sub of taking off Hemed for Ince, which normally works very effectively. Didn't see any signs of fatigue or injury.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yeh. Great ideas on here. Wish we'd left him on so he could have picked up some sort of strain by pushing a body that's been battered over the years beyond what he's ready for. Might have won yesterday and then had him out for weeks.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Was it tactics, someone else said he was injured. Was he injured, was it tactics or was he tired? If tactics then really, what was CH playing at, if injury then, oh no, not with Zamora's record and if too tired, then that is not good enough for a 30 odd year old who does nothing but play football all day. Sticking your head on the sand will not get promotion. We did our business early and had a few weeks start on the main contenders who are now getting their act together. Our players have done very well and they have a chance to make a statement with home games coming up. They have to want it and be ready. No excuses.

Ever get the feeling no matter how many times you rephrase the same point, you are in the minority?

Cue rehash!

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Any player returning to match fitness needs game time. Before yesterday BZ only had short substitute appearances. Yesterday he played for half the match. It makes total sense to build up steadily to avoid injury. I have no idea whether he was tired, injured or whether the substitution was tactical. All I will say is that it seemed to be at the wrong time and put us on the back foot.

Despite that I didn't think BZ was quite right. He seemed very reluctant to try to run with the ball. Since he left us and had a bad time at Spurs, I've always thought he was a player who occasionally lost his confidence. Yesterday he played ok, but a few times he seemed to me to hesitate to have a go. Match time might be the solution for this...

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
BZ looked to have taken a knock and was struggling to run yesterday before he went off. Yes up until then he was causing Bolton trouble as was a hand fall especially as the ref failed to stop their physical handling of him. Nothing to do with fitness presumably a post by someone who was not there.

Agree with this. I thought he was doing some leg stretches (hamstrings?) in the couple of minutes before he was subbed and looked a bit stiff as he walked off. Never expected him to last 90; but as others have said, another 10 would have helped immensely.

theboybilly

But was the substitution tactical. I'm not sure what the reference to Stanley Matthews has to do with Zamora given that the game now is totally different and much faster with an expectation that forwards defend from the front.

To be fair though, whatever the differences between then and the modern game, Stanley Matthews was still cutting it amongst players half his age. He was a one off in many ways Our Stan, he could have played at a decent level well into his 60s

Feb 14, 2010
Agree with this. I thought he was doing some leg stretches (hamstrings?) in the couple of minutes before he was subbed and looked a bit stiff as he walked off. Never expected him to last 90; but as others have said, another 10 would have helped immensely.

If this is the case then this is a concern given Zamora's injury record at other clubs. There is no room for sentiment, Scoring a hatful in divisions 3 & 4 10 years ago is not a reason to look at this signing in any other way but objectively. He either pulls his weight and scores goals or it will have been a poor signing. I hope its the former but being taken off after 60 minutes is not great.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He said afterwards on bbc Sussex that he was cramping up. No surprise as he may be physically fit but he is no where near match fit. The only way he will be is by playing. With Hemed out and COG gone we had no strong target man to replace him and I would think that was more of a problem the n BZ's lack of match fitness!

Feb 14, 2010
He said afterwards on bbc Sussex that he was cramping up. No surprise as he may be physically fit but he is no where near match fit. The only way he will be is by playing. With Hemed out and COG gone we had no strong target man to replace him and I would think that was more of a problem the n BZ's lack of match fitness!

So we have had a professional footballer turn up to work to play football day in, day out for what 2 months and our coaches, sports science team and the player himself cannot get him fit enough to run around for 90 minutes? I'm sorry, its not good enough. All he does all week is play bloody football.What time does he finish training?

Feb 14, 2010
The title uses a quote that doesn't exist, and he compares the modern game to the 50s. Either the OP is a damned good WUM, or slightly crazy.

The fact that this poster has to resort to insults instead of posting about the substance shows this poster up. But shall we move it From Sir Stan to say Ryan Giggs and the modern trend that footballers are younger older these days because they should be looking after themselves. Zamora either pulls his weight or it was pointless signing him. He has had what 2 months to get fit enough to run around for 90 minutes and all he does every day is play football. If however it was tactical then what was CH playing at? If he was injured then, well that is not a surprise given his record at other clubs. That is an objective comment, not one dressed up with sentiment. Objectivity is not used often enough when discussing this club.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So we have had a professional footballer turn up to work to play football day in, day out for what 2 months and our coaches, sports science team and the player himself cannot get him fit enough to run around for 90 minutes? I'm sorry, its not good enough. All he does all week is play bloody football.What time does he finish training?

The club will never admit it but I think you will find that BZ has had a degenerative injury problem for some time. Hence his previous recent clubs have also wrapped him up ' in cotton wool ' and not overstretched him, getting the maximum possible out of him, over a season.
It is no different to how we handled Simon Morgan, a few years back. He couldn't even train after games. His knee would blow-up for 3-4 days and we would ' wheel him out ' on match days. Wayne Bridge was similar. Patched up and strapped up, Poyet knew it was his last decent season and made the most of it. He was finished at Reading and only played a handful of games. Ledley King and Paul McGrath were other high profile players who couldn't even train between games but because of their importance, they were nursed along and treated differently from others.
BZ has that touch of class that can turn games. He has to be nursed and protected and brought along carefully and tactically. The club knew all this before they signed him but they knew he could be an influence.
Overplaying BZ will result in losing him for a number of games. Another striker should have been brought in during the window, to ease the burden and allow for the loss of Hemed and Baldock through injury/suspension. I wonder if we will rue the decision not to gamble financially on Vydra and that will be Reading's gain. His pace, on the counter-attack, would have been ideal for us and we know he is a proven goalscorer at this level.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Zamora is in his early 30's and all he does all week is play football. He has been injury free since the summer and so I do not think that he should be too tired to play a full game of football now and again. Stanley Mathews was playing football into his 50's and that was without all of the coaching staff that they have these days. I think we should be demanding more of Zamora.

It really annoys me when football fans, who have never played the game at anywhere near professional level start slating players for being too tired. It's ridiculous, you have absolutely no knowledge of what it takes to get to that level of fitness, and what it takes to maintain it. It's like when Sterling was 'too tired' to play for England and loads of idiotic football fans were raging about it.

To play professional sport you have to be at the absolute peak of physical fitness to be able to compete. A footballer being 'too tired' to play 90 minutes doesn't mean that he would nod off at 70 minutes or lie down and have a nap, it means that he isn't quite at the level to be able to perform to the very best of his ability for a whole match. It doesn't mean he can't be arsed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here