Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wednesday Rugby World Cup thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
12-7 half time then. And just like Saturday, Japan repel a real try scoring opportunity at the end of the first half.

Tight game with Japan playing most of the rugby but being undone by ill-discipline and some silly mistakes.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
This is doing my blood pressure no good at all. Was hoping that Scotland would have a comfortable lead before I have to get back from the pub for a 4 o'clock meeting. Now I'll have to avoid all contact with the internet while I try to Likely Lads it home.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Japan battle it out with the side ranked no 2 in the world on the Saturday and then play 4 days later and England start with one of the outsiders ant then get 8 days rest for what will almost certainly be their group decider. There is a problem there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Love the fact Japan fancy themselves to score trys rather than kick at goals.

Although if they used that tactic today everytime they had the chance, the score could have looked a lot different. Scotland sort of parked the bus and countered effectively whilst it looks like Japan expanded too much energy and the odds of mistakes going for the try rose. Dead on their feet now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do agree, but this isn't a problem of the sport as much as the competition. A-League and MLS football leagues do the same. I think J-League and K-League might do too. In all cases, it is purely down to making the competition more attractive to fans - maintaining relevance to the season for teams not quite challenging for first place, and to make it more appealing to television companies.

I still maintain there are far bigger issues in rugby than this.

Talking of competition lunacy, whose idea was it to have four groups of five teams in this rugby world cup? What a stupid idea that is. I understand that limits on the talent pool and global reach of the game prohibits more teams from playing for now, but surely five groups of four would have been better, with five group winners qualifying for the last 8 and have a week off while the five second place teams and one third place team play-off for the other three quarter-final spots?

They did that before an it was terrible.

I believe in 99 we came second in our group then to play Fiji on the Wed and SA on the Sat in the 1/4 final - we got hammered as all our players were shattered from playing 3 games in 10 day as the last pool game was a few days before PO

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having listened to the Scots co commentators raving about the quality of the Scots performance I am fully expecting them to go all the way to the final :smile:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They did that before an it was terrible.

I believe in 99 we came second in our group then to play Fiji on the Wed and SA on the Sat in the 1/4 final - we got hammered as all our players were shattered from playing 3 games in 10 day as the last pool game was a few days before PO

But that's just an error with the fixtures. The way it's currently set up, one team sits out the final round. Ridiculous.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Gutted really, damn Scots! Haha, good victory though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scots played well, will probably go through now they have the bonus point. Apparently their biggest win since 2004, shows how crap they have been the last decade

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Japan battle it out with the side ranked no 2 in the world on the Saturday and then play 4 days later and England start with one of the outsiders ant then get 8 days rest for what will almost certainly be their group decider. There is a problem there.

Yup, totally agree.
The Scotch took advantage of a seriously fatigued team there. Farcical schedule that totally undermines the integrity of the tournament.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe this has already been covered but how the hell have South Africa got two bonus points having lost a game?

Wales who scored way more points and won have only got the one bonus point

WTF?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Maybe this has already been covered but how the hell have South Africa got two bonus points having lost a game?

Wales who scored way more points and won have only got the one bonus point

WTF?

You only get one bonus point for scoring 4 try's or more. I think if you lose by less than a certain amount you also get some points

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here