Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wednesday Rugby World Cup thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arguably the most anticipated day of the tournament so far:

Japan v Scotland (14:30, Gloucester)
A game that had been deemed so insignificant that it was being played at one of the two small club rugby grounds has now taken on huge significance. The group is officially wide open and will remain so regardless of this result. Which Scotland will turn up? Come to think of it, which Japan will turn up?

Australia v Fiji (16:45, MillStad)
Australia expected to cruise this, but I think we can expect to see trys in this one. Fiji are in last chance saloon, Australia will be desperate for a bonus point in a group where they could prove crucial.

France v Romania (20:00, Olympic Stadium)
First outing for Romania in the tournament and I don't think much can be expected of them in truth. Unlike Japan, they haven't come into the WC in any sort of form and are a shadow of their former selves. I'll be watching more out of hope for a good game than anything else.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That first game will be a cracker, the Japanese on the crest of a wave.

dsc_5381.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely RIDICULOUS that Japan have to play again today after that EPIC game on Saturday, whereas the Jocks will rock up fresh as daisies having not even played yet. 2 games in 4 days for Japan, very unfair on them, given that their opponents haven't booted an egg in anger yet. England got 8 days between fixtures as well.

The competition is so skewed towards the 1st tier nations. Any Finals tournament should be a level playing field, but this so clearly isn't. Just ensures the same old nations will be in the QF's as usual. Piss poor scheduling against the smaller teams.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I fancy Japan to get close...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Gloucester holds some 14500. I believe the 'home' crowd at the Amex all went for the underdogs (Japan) which helped them. Will this game be a Scottish crowd though?
If you have a recording listen to the anthems Saturday. Around 136 people sang the Japanese anthem whilst 10000 sang the SA.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Scotland still strong favourites. The Scots now have the benefit of knowing they need to be pumped up for this and can't go taking it easy.

@HKFC It's the 4.30 game that I am unhappy about. I'd imagine most of us are either setting off for the pub or the commute rendering the 1st half pretty much unwatchable. Telly in the office for the Japan game is a bit of a godsend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
4616620-large.jpg

Quite a comedown from the Amex as well.

It's a compact ground but there's a cracking atmosphere. Japan will have the support of the neutrals so the place should be rocking.

And I finished a big work project last night so can take an afternoon off :thumbsup:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely RIDICULOUS that Japan have to play again today after that EPIC game on Saturday, whereas the Jocks will rock up fresh as daisies having not even played yet. 2 games in 4 days for Japan, very unfair on them, given that their opponents haven't booted an egg in anger yet. England got 8 days between fixtures as well.

The competition is so skewed towards the 1st tier nations. Any Finals tournament should be a level playing field, but this so clearly isn't. Just ensures the same old nations will be in the QF's as usual. Piss poor scheduling against the smaller teams.
True that.
I haven't recovered from that game yet, and I was a neutral watching at home on a sofa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Love it. Your interest levels are now raised! Fiji get a shit deal too as they have to play again today against the fresh Aussies. They are also in a much tougher group than Japan. You are slowly becoming a rugby fan I do believe. Please keep the rants up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I won't disagree with this, but we've seen a lot worse haven't we? Exhibit A:
[yt]3kQJDEaNXyU[/yt]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Love it. Your interest levels are now raised! Fiji get a shit deal too as they have to play again today against the fresh Aussies. They are also in a much tougher group than Japan. You are slowly becoming a rugby fan I do believe. Please keep the rants up.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. Rugby is a silly sport. This World Cup scheduling is all over the shop, and domestically what about the Aviva Premiership champions being decided by Playoffs ?? I CANNOT get my head round that. You finish the season top of the league, but that doesn't make you Champions - you still have to beat the winners of a 2nd and 3rd placed Playoff first. :facepalm:

If that was in football, then last season, Manchester City and Arsenal (who finished 8 and 12 points adrift of Chelsea) would have an end-of-season Playoff against each other, and the winner would face Chelsea to decide who are the League champions. Its STOOPID.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. Rugby is a silly sport. This World Cup scheduling is all over the shop, and domestically what about the Aviva Premiership champions being decided by Playoffs ?? I CANNOT get my head round that. You finish the season top of the league, but that doesn't make you Champions - you still have to beat the winners of a 2nd and 3rd placed Playoff first. :facepalm:

QUOTE]

Could it be that the top clubs lose their best players to the Six Nations for big swathes of the season meaning that lesser clubs might win games that they might not otherwise have won? Playoffs at the end of the season with full strength sides redresses the balance.

This is complete speculation and could of course be complete bollocks :smile:

Thinking about it, how much FUN would the Premier League be if games were played during World Cup and European Cup qualification and friendly weeks with the top clubs missing all their stars???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here