Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much money would the club have made from hosting the 2 Rugby World Cup games?...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The added value of prestige would be an incentive. A chance to put the club and city at the forefront of people's minds
It's not TB's job to put the city at the forefront of people's minds.
To be honest, I could understand if the club didn't take a penny in revenue if it means that the likes of the RFU, the FA and maybe others have had a bit of a nudge about how successfully we can manage large games going forward. I could easily see the RFU using us for an U21s or sevens game, maybe even a full international friendly.
What's the point if your not going to make money from such things. Why would we get to charge a good fee for an international friendly if we can't charge it for a WC game, it makes no sense.

Over the two have had our pride and joy shown off to the world. One game full of explosives and the other hosted on possibly one of the nicest days we've had for a while.
Factors we wouldn't have predicted when it was arranged.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not TB's job to put the city at the forefront of people's minds.

It's not his job but given his family's long connection with the city, and given everything he has said over the years about the city, I'm sure this plays a small part at the very least.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Not as much as if we were playing Chelsea at home tomorrow night!!!!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I know little about these things but I thought that the ground was owned by a separate company from the football club, although both obviously owned by TB, and that rent was paid by the club to the company owning the ground. If so, it could be that the club don't get any revenue from the rugby matches?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Funny replies in here.

Seems like we got a rental fee from RFU.

What does it cost to rent a £120m facility for several days...?

My guess is somewhere between £50,000 and £115,000.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The added value of prestige would be an incentive. A chance to put the club and city at the forefront of people's minds (and, thanks to Japan, it's fairly well cemented). To be honest, I could understand if the club didn't take a penny in revenue if it means that the likes of the RFU, the FA and maybe others have had a bit of a nudge about how successfully we can manage large games going forward. I could easily see the RFU using us for an U21s or sevens game, maybe even a full international friendly. Over the two have had our pride and joy shown off to the world. One game full of explosives and the other hosted on possibly one of the nicest days we've had for a while.

The Amex will now become a Mecca for Japanese Rugby fans, of which there must be 5 or 6.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know little about these things but I thought that the ground was owned by a separate company from the football club, although both obviously owned by TB, and that rent was paid by the club to the company owning the ground. If so, it could be that the club don't get any revenue from the rugby matches?

Who paid the stewards and the electric bill? Did the rugby wallahs pay for that separately, or was the rental all inclusive?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The added value of prestige would be an incentive. A chance to put the club and city at the forefront of people's minds (and, thanks to Jpapan, it's fairly well cemented). To be honest, I could understand if the club didn't take a penny in revenue if it means that the likes of the RFU, the FA and maybe others have had a bit of a nudge about how successfully we can manage large games going forward. I could easily see the RFU using us for an U21s or sevens game, maybe even a full international friendly. Over the two have had our pride and joy shown off to the world. One game full of explosives and the other hosted on possibly one of the nicest days we've had for a while.

Well, while your view about good publicity certainly are valid, I can't see anyway that the Club would cover such an event without their finger in the pie. The Amex is the home of our sport, but it's also a business, and I would imagine enormously expensive to operate.
Brilliant it was successful, and let's hope there's more to come.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know little about these things but I thought that the ground was owned by a separate company from the football club, although both obviously owned by TB, and that rent was paid by the club to the company owning the ground.
I wouldn't think so, as that would have a negative effect on the club's FFP position, which is not what TB would want.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Google : "The Economic Impact of Rugby World Cup 2015" :

no direct answer to the question asked , but i though it might interest one or two of you : 20 odd pages is a little too much to copy and paste and nothing specific on the gain for the Club ... but an obvious gain for the town as a whole is described in full here ... no real reason to doubt these forecasts so far:

just one quote from the document "The impact on GDP shows the economic benefits of the Tournament in the short term. However, there are also wider benefits that are expected to leave a lasting legacy. Exposure as a Host City places them in a global shop window for attracting business investment and tourists. The visibility of the city name in stadiums and on television provides an advertising platform for local campaigns (at recent Football World Cups all stadiums have included city name banners). As part of their submission to host matches, bidding cities have also developed plans to exploit the additional exposure and investment to drive forward participation in the sport. These potential benefits have not been quantified in this study but do represent the types of opportunity available to Host Cities to leverage their involvement in the event."

i too am assuming it´s a substantial sum for the Club even if we didnt need to profit from the Investments in infrastructure etc : maybe someone will tell us one day

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Amex will now become a Mecca for Japanese Rugby fans, of which there must be 5 or 6.

I would anticipate the Amex Tours will be sold out for the foreseeable future as they flock in, just need a cut out of the try scored in NW corner and change £5 a photo - megabucks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here