Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mohammed Ali

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
8 years for the attempted murder of up to 1400 :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34288380

A man who tried to buy deadly ricin poison from the Dark Web after being inspired by the TV series Breaking Bad has been jailed for eight years.

Mohammed Ali, 31, was convicted at the Old Bailey of attempting to possess a chemical weapon following a trial in July.

Ali, from Liverpool, struck a deal with a supplier in January to buy 500mg of powder - enough to kill 1,400 people.

He was unaware that his source was in fact an FBI agent.

The trial heard the father-of-two was sent harmless powder hidden inside a toy car.

After opening the package, which had been treated with a marker substance, he was arrested at his home the following morning.

The court heard Ali, of Prescot Road, a computer programmer, first heard about ricin after watching the US crime drama Breaking Bad.

He told jurors he was just "curious" and wanted to test the boundaries of the Dark Web, and was unaware ricin was illegal.

"I was interested in the Dark Web and ricin. I just wanted to know what the fuss was about," he said.

Computer analysis showed Ali first began trawling the internet for information on poisons such as abrin, ricin and cyanide in October last year.

The court heard he approached the undercover agent in January with a private message, saying: "Hi, would you be able to make me some ricin and send it to the UK?"

In a series of encrypted chats, they discussed the price of a lethal dose, discounts for bulk orders and ricin's "shelf life", jurors were told.
Test on a rodent

At one point, Ali asked: "How do I test this ricin?" and received the instruction: "You must test it on a rodent."

Records showed that on February 4 - days before the delivery - he made a payment in Bitcoins, the online currency.

Around this time, Ali had made a to-do list on his computer which included the entries "paid ricin guy" and "get pet to murder", the court heard.

He had also made a series of internet searches for chinchillas, animal rescue centres, rabbits and "pocket-sized pets".

The judge, Mr Justice Saunders, said Ali's actions created a "real risk".

He said: "Everyone needs to know that the possession of a chemical weapon is extremely serious and long prison sentences will follow.

"I am afraid that because of the need for a deterrent sentence, the sentence will appear harsh to the defendant and his family."

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The dark web is great for catching Crims who foolishly think they can't be traced on it :rock:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never the same after the second Frazier fight . . .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know - did the FBI agent send him an unsolicited email offering 'the best quality ricin - direct to your door'?
I don't even know what entrapment is (in detail), just heard it on the telly box before. I've no idea what is and isn't allowed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My pleasure [emoji3]
However, although it can't be used as a defence: "In relation to evidence gained from entrapment, courts hold the discretion under section 78 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 to exclude evidence from a trial on the grounds that if it were included, it would have an unfair, adverse effect on the proceedings."

So you can't use it as a defence, but the prosecution can't use the evidence either. How could that relate to this case?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
However, although it can't be used as a defence: "In relation to evidence gained from entrapment, courts hold the discretion under section 78 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 to exclude evidence from a trial on the grounds that if it were included, it would have an unfair, adverse effect on the proceedings."

So you can't use it as a defence, but the prosecution can't use the evidence either. How could that relate to this case?
Not relevant in this case.
In UK criminal law, the defendant would need to be induced to commit an offence that otherwise they would have had no intention to commit, in order to fall foul of entrapment.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not relevant in this case.
In UK criminal law, the defendant would need to be induced to commit an offence that otherwise they would have had no intention to commit, in order to fall foul of entrapment.

So if someone creates the website ricin4everyone.com it is not entrapment, just bait.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here