Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jacqui Oatley

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On Twitter full of praise for the club. But this caught my eye:

[tweet]643882878074507264[/tweet]

Personally I don't see anything wrong with applauding fans from small clubs for making the trip, especially where they come down expecting to be well beaten on a Tuesday night when the Champions League is on.

Perhaps a bit unnecessary when relatively close teams come down, but for Rotherham it's fair enough surely?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was good applause, at half time, for the Rotherham fan, attending his 1000th game in succession. I think it was classy of our club to announce it for him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There was good applause, at half time, for the Rotherham fan, attending his 1000th game in succession. I think it was classy of our club to announce it for him.

I didn't know that. I was having a PINT. But yes, that is a classy way for the club to conduct itself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I don't see anything wrong with applauding fans from small clubs for making the trip, especially where they come down expecting to be well beaten on a Tuesday night when the Champions League is on.

Perhaps a bit unnecessary when relatively close teams come down, but for Rotherham it's fair enough surely?
I didn't mind last night as there were so few of them and they're club are at the bottom, but I generally don't like it.

Didn't they say the last game he missed was something mental like 1988?!
There was a thread on here before the game, and I think it said he hadn't missed one since about 96.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Didn't they say the last game he missed was something mental like 1988?!

Shane Meadows is already hard at work drafting This Is England 1988-2015, A Miller's Tale. Michael Palin has been signed up to play the Rotherham fan, Thomas Turgoose will play a down on his luck King Edward potato in episode three.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I'm pretty sure we do it fo reveryone don't we?

Also, can we steer clear of saying 'small clubs'? Lets not forget where we have been in the not too distant past

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Jacqui is one of the nicest people in the football media. She's also a Wolves fan (which some of the outfits she wears on TV make pretty obvious) who says that we'll have no trouble winning on Saturday. We'll see.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Absolutely. I really can't see what is wrong with our applause for other teams' fans. We have long journeys to away games, more than most certainly, and rightly, we appreciate it when for example our team and management applaud the loyalty and financial sacrifice we make to support them. In fact we get cross when they don't. So it should surely follow that at the very least we respect other teams' fans for their similar devotion, and if the applause can help in some small way to take the tribal feelings out of football, then great.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure we do it fo reveryone don't we?

Also, can we steer clear of saying 'small clubs'? Lets not forget where we have been in the not too distant past

Agree completely and also thought this was appropriate:

Capture.JPG

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
It's a sport and we should clap the other teams fans. This doesn't mean we can't compete like hell for 90 minutes and hate them during this time. But then let's shake hands say well done and have a beer afterwards together.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
It's a sport and we should clap the other teams fans. This doesn't mean we can't compete like hell for 90 minutes and hate them during this time. But then let's shake hands say well done and have a beer afterwards together.

Absolutely. I really can't see what is wrong with our applause for other teams' fans. We have long journeys to away games, more than most certainly, and rightly, we appreciate it when for example our team and management applaud the loyalty and financial sacrifice we make to support them. In fact we get cross when they don't. So it should surely follow that at the very least we respect other teams' fans for their similar devotion, and if the applause can help in some small way to take the tribal feelings out of football, then great.

Very much these. Its a game for gods sake.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to be fair it wasn't a comparison to us was it? Rotherham are a small club among the 92. we're a middling club, were small, probably never be big. having 162 Rotherham fans is different from say 162 Leeds fans.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

This. We may support other teams and hurl abuse at each other during the games, but both fans are there for the same reason. I don't think it's too much for a round of applause for them making the effort...it's not much and its clearly appreciated.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Indeed, much of the fun of away games (and particularly distant northern grimeholes) is going to the local pub, chatting to the opposition fans, and realising - they're just like us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here