Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] A Walk In The Woods

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I only found out about this earlier in the week but despite campaigning against Falmer via the Campaign For Rural England Bill Bryson is a brilliant novelist.

So the epic journey of A Walk In The Woods is a film to be released next week with Robert Redford as Bryson and Nick Nolte as Stephen Katz his mate who did this epic walk with him.

The book really is Bryson at his best, not that he has ever been worse in anything he wrote, so I would suggest go and see.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I only found out about this earlier in the week but despite campaigning against Falmer via the Campaign For Rural England Bill Bryson is a brilliant novelist.

So the epic journey of A Walk In The Woods is a film to be released next week with Robert Redford as Bryson and Nick Nolte as Stephen Katz his mate who did this epic walk with him.

The book really is Bryson at his best, not that he has ever been worse in anything he wrote, so I would suggest go and see.

Haven't read that one. His books are great though. Have you read his 'Shakespeare' book? Bit different from his travel lit, but superb.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn't realise he campaigned against Falmer! I've been a massive Bryson fan for a long time since reading Notes From a Small Island, his story of a journey round England. I've read most of his books now and my favourites are probably The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid about his upbringing in 1950s America and the one I've just finished, One Summer 1927 about all the events that happened in America in that summer including Lindburghs trans Atlantic flight, the beginnings of the crash, Al Capone and a couple of other grizzly murders.

Thanks for the heads up on the film [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
*** Spoiler Alert ***

I went to see it over here last weekend ... Emma Thompson utterly lovely as only she can be but otherwise (i.e. 95% of the film) formulaic, not funny, predictable, tedious, unconvincing and contrived. Redford needs to retire if that's the best he can do. Nolte was slightly better but no one could have compensated for RR's dullness. Maybe I was having a bad day or perhaps watching it in a sparsely populated cinema sucked the life out of it - be interested to hear if it is received more positively back in Blighty?

What I did find surprising was that the half a dozen or so middle-aged, middle-class yanks I went with hadn't heard of him. They all thought this was an original script for a film. The marketing apparently avoided mentioning Bryson and/or the fact that it was based on a book; rather, it was promoted as a Redford-Nolte buddy movie for the middle-aged gentleman. Or so I'm told as I (obviously) don't watch local TV. Anyway, found a couple of $2 Brysons in second hand bookshops which I'll give to the more bookish locals when I next see them. It will be interesting to hear what they make of him.

Nice win yesterday, fellas. The tributes for Matt & Jacob came across really well even this far away. Shame I couldn't be there but I'm back the next two weekends and will be at Wolves/Bolton.

Please accept my apologies in advance for the nul points ... my fault!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Odd, it's the only book of his that I found tedious. Didn't know he campaigned against the stadium.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A quick Google tells me that Bryson became president of the CPRE in 2007. However, the organisation had already been campaigning against Falmer for a number of years, describing the original Prescott granting of permission in 2005 as 'outrageous.' I couldn't find any statement made by Bryson himself about the stadium and don't remember him making any comment at the time.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

One of my favourite books, really laugh out loud moments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of my favourite books, really laugh out loud moments.

Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid is my favourite, the mistimed end of school bomb episode is possibly the funniest thing I have ever read.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe was very funny.

I think what a lot of people need to get their heads around, is that the great majority of people who campaigned against Falmer, were not anti-Albion, merely opposing, (as they saw it), building work in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

I will always love Bill Bryson.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think what a lot of people need to get their heads around, is that the great majority of people who campaigned against Falmer, were not anti-Albion, merely opposing, (as they saw it), building work in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

I will always love Bill Bryson.

Sorry but it really was the only viable site available, so they were opposing the Albion (even if they didn't realise it).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
My favourite Bryson book - maybe because I'm into hiking. I'd never have thought in a million years it'd make a film though. Interested to see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here