Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yorkshire folk, do they hate everyone else?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Dad used to say:-

"We'll never be an island all the time we're attached to Scotland, Wales & Yorkshire".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember what Mark James said after winning the Ryder Cup. Asked to describe a Yorkshireman, he said they were like Scots but without their their natural warmth or generoristy of spirit. That sums it up for me.

Having said that, it's a fabulous place - North Yorkshire is totally stunning

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In the past I have lived and worked right across Yorkshire - from Doncaster in the south to Harrogate in the north.

It's a hard feeling to describe, but it always felt like life was happening somewhere else - if that makes sense.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No one in Yorkshire likes Leeds. Not even people from Leeds like Leeds. Alan Bennett is exempted from this antipathy, mind.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Watching cricket with Boycott and Dickie Bird is not a good idea. Going on a football trip to Huddersfield or Rotherham is a good idea. Watching horse racing in Yorkshire is a particularly good idea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watching cricket with Boycott and Dickie Bird is not a good idea. Going on a football trip to Huddersfield or Rotherham is a good idea. Watching horse racing in Yorkshire is a particularly good idea.

Trip to Rotherham last season was AWFUL

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Trip to Rotherham last season was AWFUL

Slightly off topic but a trip to Rotherham way back when is one of my favourite ever trips. We were in our twenties but we'd recently met a couple of lads who were in their late teens. They set about drinking as much Mad Dog 20/20 on the train as they could despite the fact we were timed to get in at 11 for opening time. I was thinking we'd never get in anywhere when we got there unless we "lost" them but luckily the first pub we found was such a shithole that the landlady welcomed us like we were her first customers in weeks, which indeed we probably were.

Having managed to get the lads in to the ground after another session a dull, dull game was enlivened by a cracker of a Robert Codner goal right in front of us which I celebrated with a lap of honour round the mostly empty terraces. We won 1-0 and at the end all the players came over to us. They were joined on the pitch by a certain Mr [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] who had blagged his way in to the main stand and then on to the pitch at the end.

That boozer in Doncaster with the ridiculously high bar at one end was visited on the way home as was the Flying Scotsman.

I honestly defy anyone to have a better day.

Back on topic I've got a few mates from Yorkshire so they're mostly alright, with the obvious exception of Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: fans.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
My mum and dad are from Bradford and Bingley and they're alright in my book. My last remaining grandparent died in Feb, so my ties to the north now are gone.
I was born darn sarth but everytime I went oop north I felt like I was going home. I'll fight anyone that doesn't like northerners.
But that's probably down to the fact I've got Yorkshire blood coursing through my veins 😂

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A reflection on life today that had that been a Labour politician they'd have been hounded by the press to resign.

As it is the Beeb dared to report it so that's another.massive nail in their funding coffin.

:nono:

bbranni

Jan 11, 2010
Have lived in North Yorkshire for 20 years. It's one of the nicest places to live in the country and even though I enjoy returning to my place of birth to visit family and watch the Albion, it's not a touch on North Yorkshire. In terms of the people I'd say we are a pretty tolerant bunch but I consider North Yorkshire to be it's own county as it's so different from the other parts of Yorkshire.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Slightly off topic but a trip to Rotherham way back when is one of my favourite ever trips. We were in our twenties but we'd recently met a couple of lads who were in their late teens. They set about drinking as much Mad Dog 20/20 on the train as they could despite the fact we were timed to get in at 11 for opening time. I was thinking we'd never get in anywhere when we got there unless we "lost" them but luckily the first pub we found was such a shithole that the landlady welcomed us like we were her first customers in weeks, which indeed we probably were.

Having managed to get the lads in to the ground after another session a dull, dull game was enlivened by a cracker of a Robert Codner goal right in front of us which I celebrated with a lap of honour round the mostly empty terraces. We won 1-0 and at the end all the players came over to us. They were joined on the pitch by a certain Mr [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] who had blagged his way in to the main stand and then on to the pitch at the end.

That boozer in Doncaster with the ridiculously high bar at one end was visited on the way home as was the Flying Scotsman.

I honestly defy anyone to have a better day.

Back on topic I've got a few mates from Yorkshire so they're mostly alright, with the obvious exception of Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: fans.
Great post. Had forgotten about the Flying Scotsman. Back in the day most trips to Kings X included it. Does it still exist?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have lived in North Yorkshire for 20 years. It's one of the nicest places to live in the country and even though I enjoy returning to my place of birth to visit family and watch the Albion, it's not a touch on North Yorkshire.
What makes it so much better than Sussex?

bbranni

Jan 11, 2010
The scenery is second to none and something that I say knowing how nice parts of Sussex are. The things to do, places to visit etc. If you have a search online you can easily find out why it is so highly rated on various places to visit and live lists etc. This being said I do love Sussex also.

albionite

May 20, 2009
The scenery is second to none and something that I say knowing how nice parts of Sussex are. The things to do, places to visit etc. If you have a search online you can easily find out why it is so highly rated on various places to visit and live lists etc. This being said I do love Sussex also.

Thought this thread was about the people and not who has nicer hills:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here