Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations Wayne Rooney

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
You can only score against what is put in front of you. Maybe if team as a whole actually performed and got past the first round of major tournaments he might have the chance to play against top sides.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can only score against what is put in front of you.

I agree. But scoring a few more in tournament finals would have put him in front of tougher opposition.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've just witnessed, in our generation, a man become the all time leading goalscorer in Englands history. No big deal, it only dates back to 1863.

He is also, at 29, just 17 short of being Manchester Uniteds all time leading goalscorer.

He's also announced that (unlike several of the "prolongue my club career / spend more time with my family BELLENDS) he will NEVER retire from playing for England. He'll always be available for selection until a manager deems he's not up to it.

Personally I think he's earned our respect. We will miss him when he's gone.
Exactly. It doesn't even matter if you think the record flatters him. The fact is, he's done it, he's proud to play for his country (like most of them have been recently, to be fair) and he deserves respect for that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
he's proud to play for his country (like most of them have been recently, to be fair)

I've noticed a change too - although some seem to still tar them with a brush they don't deserve!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The shit he gets because he's Wayne Rooney is unreal, people desperate to reel of stats about number of games/crap opposition. It doesn't matter, he's been our best player for a decade and has more goals than any player in our history. End of story. Great achievement.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
50 goals in 107 international matches. It will be a long time before that record is broken.

Take a bow son

:bowdown: :clap2: :bowdown:

Deserves his accolades for this, whatever the arguments anout playing more often against weaker teams, he still did what he's there to do, and I for one applaud him. I had little regard for him in his early career, but I think we forget how young these guys are. All the mistakes in life that we made at 18 are not scrutinised minutely every day by the press. He seems to have grown into a decent man who loves to play football and loves to play for his country. He is also responsible for my favourite prem goal - doesn't matter who you support, and I certainly don't support United - but that overhead kick against City was perfection .... it's the goal you dream about scoring when you were a kid #50upWozza

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The fact that he's grown up so much despite the pressure of the whole nation resting on him (like Beckham before him) is testament to the bloke.

Only 10 months til they can start slagging him off again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here