Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We've just witnessed, in our generation, a man become the all time leading goalscorer in Englands history. No big deal, it only dates back to 1863.

He is also, at 29, just 17 short of being Manchester Uniteds all time leading goalscorer.

He's also announced that (unlike several of the "prolongue my club career / spend more time with my family BELLENDS) he will NEVER retire from playing for England. He'll always be available for selection until a manager deems he's not up to it.

Personally I think he's earned our respect. We will miss him when he's gone.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

youre over 50 years old and see the need to use the 'thumbs down' button for every post of someone praising there country who have just qualified (again) with a 100% 8 wins out of 8 record. Bless.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
youre over 50 years old and see the need to use the 'thumbs down' button for every post of someone praising there country who have just qualified (again) with a 100% 8 wins out of 8 record. Bless.
I might be 47.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
image.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
View attachment 68351

(This comes from Sporting Intelligence, by the way).
According to that:
Number of caps for Bobby Charlton = 106.
Number of goals for Bobby Charlton = 49.
Number of caps for Bobby Charlton to score 50 goals = 101.

Eh?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
According to that:
Number of caps for Bobby Charlton = 106.
Number of goals for Bobby Charlton = 49.
Number of caps for Bobby Charlton to score 50 goals = 101.

Eh?

It is written inaccurately, but probably due to the fact that they couldn't succinctly capture what that last line represents. It is, of course, showing the number of caps Rooney needed to hit 50 goals, and comparing it with the number of caps Charlton needed to hit the last of his 49 goals.

"Caps for 50 goals" is inaccurate (for Charlton) but fits into an excel spreadsheet cell; "Caps for 50 goals for Rooney but only 49 goals for Charlton because that was all he scored" doesn't quite do it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Well done Wayne, great stats that all stand up against Bobby apart from the most important one goals in WC Finals..
1 in 11 is shocking, if he'd got, say 6, those past summers could have been a lot more fun

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done Wayne, great stats that all stand up against Bobby apart from the most important one goals in WC Finals..
1 in 11 is shocking, if he'd got, say 6, those past summers could have been a lot more fun

It is a poor return. I think this is what separates him from the true greats of football. If he'd banged in a few at finals, and shaped England's tournaments a bit more, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It is a poor return. I think this is what separates him from the true greats of football. If he'd banged in a few at finals, and shaped England's tournaments a bit more, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The blokes stacked up this record in poor England sides,absolute legend and always desperate to play and wear the shirt. A diamond among the overpaid overated passionless shite that has been milking the British football public for the last 20 years???

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well,I suppose it is a mile stone Wayne...but for the headlines to read 'Englands greatest goalscorer' is misleading and untrue.
For a start it took you 107 games to score 50 goals for England...a lot of them penalties and a striker shouldn't miss those...(apart from COG)
You scored in league games for Everton and Man U a total of 185 goals in 411 games.

Now compare that with,who in my view is the best striker I've ever seen...one Peter,Jimmy Greaves..

League Chelsea ,West Ham,Spurs total of 528 games...366 goals.
England (U23s.........12 games...13 goals.
England( full)............57 games...44goals .

So Wayne,you've scored 6 more goals in nearly twice the amount of games.

It's not just how many you score but in how many games you've played in.

Or ...Jimmy Games 597....goals...423
Wayne Games 518....goals ..235
No contest Wayne but well done on the 50.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Agreed. 3 goals against the current top 10 teams in 14 games, all 3 in friendlies. Only 6 goals in tournament finals and 4 of those were in 2004, against Lineker's 10 in 2 world cups. Has not really had any stiff competition for his place either which says a lot. Thankfully, we have not had the hype surrounding him elevating him to a falsely high position like Mr Beckham, presumably because he is not a pretty boy.
It's still a great achievement though, but England's greatest ever striker? Nah. Top 10 only.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here