Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations Wayne Rooney

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And nothing is probably what we will win in the next 50 years in fairness but it won't detract from the honour of playing for your country. Just find it odd that those who achieve what is surely every kids' ambition are then subject to being so roundly slagged off.

Who was our "main man" in '66 out of interest?
Not Jimmy Greaves. He was briefly injured but fit and available to play in the final stages but Ramsey preferred Roger Hunt........something for which he should (in my opinion) have been refused his knighthood :lolol:
I thought it was Alan Ball.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the wonderful thing about Rooney's breaking of this record is how it still leaves so much room for debate about how good he is for England.

Despite being undefeated for the last thirteen games, in which we averaged 2.6 goals per game all of which featured Rooney, England still score more goals and win more games without him than they do with him.

He has played 27(?) more games than Gary Lineker, but has only managed to score two more goals.

There's also room to undermine the achievement:

Bearing in mind he has often been injured/suspended for tournament finals, it's quite an achievement.

Not to mention going from june 2004 to october 2007 and only managing to score 3 goals (22 games), and his inability to score for England between September 2009 and September 2010 (11 games).

He should have broken the record a couple of years ago.

ITV showed a breakdown of the opponents he scored against in fact it was probably about 25 teams and all the top teams were included as teams he scored against.. This idea of against nobodies is a myth put out by his detractors.

http://www.englandstats.com/players.php?pid=1126

He has scored v Argentina, Holland, Brazil (in two games), but those four goals were all in friendlies. I'd say Uruguay or Poland are the biggest team he has scored against in a competitive match.

It's rare that someone achieves something so significant and yet leaves so much for his critics to point to as evidence he isn't really that good.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My point is that for all the 'world class' hype surrounding Rooney the jury is still out amongst fans and pundits alike. Moments of greatness are balanced by many incidents of mediocre performances. True GREATS perform on the World stage, something that he has not (as of yet) managed to do. Personally I would love him to prove me wrong next year but recent Man U performances would indicate otherwise. Maybe he's like CMS and being played in the wrong position at club level?

He will end his career as England and Man U's all time leading scorer.
Whether or not he is or ever was "world class" it's a tad harsh to suggest that his record over a dozen years or so up to now doesn't place him at very least at the forefront of his generation. Churlish to undervalue that achievement IMO remembering that no English team has won a tournament in his lifetime let alone his career-span.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was actually Hurst who Ramsey chose over Greaves.

I'd argue that from bitter memory as a Jimmy Greaves fan but then it was so long ago....... :lolol:

Edit: just had a quick look at wiki which agrees with you on Greaves' page but implies not on Hunt's. But then wiki is about as reliable as my memory to be fair. When the squad was listed Ramsey numbered his first 11 as his "preferred" starting team. Greaves was 8 and Hurst 10. The only two of the top eleven who didn't make the final were Greaves (replaced by Hunt who was 21 in the original listing after being injured in the opening game I think) and John Connelly who was replaced by Martin Peters (16)

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That a bit of an exaggeration he played as the 2nd striker as was in those days. I would never have described him as a midfielder in the true sense of Kayal or Stephens. More like Rooney has been played by Man Utd and for the last 25 mins tonight.

He was an out and out attacking midfielder or old fashioned inside left. England always played 2 forwards ahead of him, with Stiles just behind as did Manutd. He even played as a holding midfielder as he got to his mid30's.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My point is that for all the 'world class' hype surrounding Rooney the jury is still out amongst fans and pundits alike. Moments of greatness are balanced by many incidents of mediocre performances. True GREATS perform on the World stage, something that he has not (as of yet) managed to do. Personally I would love him to prove me wrong next year but recent Man U performances would indicate otherwise. Maybe he's like CMS and being played in the wrong position at club level?

He's been brilliant for years at Man Utd. Can't get to a much higher level than Champions League winner (and finalist) at club level - and this is probably a higher standard than the World Cup in today's game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
8 wins out of 8 and still people slag off England :lol: clueless :)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Rooney.jpg

(This comes from Sporting Intelligence, by the way).

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
where have you been the last 48 years?

Supporting my country for most of it like any true Englishman that likes football :thumbsup: Because we haven't won a major tourno in 49 years does that mean we haven't achieved anything since :lol: Sounds a bit Man Utd glory supporting statement to me...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You'd have to be a right twit to moan about tonight. What's not to like? ???

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Supporting my country for most of it like any true Englishman that likes football :thumbsup: Because we haven't won a major tourno in 49 years does that mean we haven't achieved anything since :lol: Sounds a bit Man Utd glory supporting statement to me...

if you're happy. Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, Greece, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Russia, Yugoslavia, Belgium and France have done much better.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
if you're happy. Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Germany, Italy, Holland and France have done much better.

And there's hundreds of countries in the world... I'm not happy that we've not performed consistently at the majors but the criticism of so called fans is a joke. Recently, we've been the best in Europe at qualifying which is always nice. Look at the Dutch at the moment. Only one country every 2 years can win the majors I'm afraid - We've done alright overall IMO...

How long have you supported the Albion for out of interest?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
And there's hundreds of countries in the world... I'm not happy that we've not performed consistently at the majors but the criticism of so called fans is a joke. Recently, we've been the best in Europe at qualifying which is always nice. Look at the Dutch at the moment. Only one country every 2 years can win the majors I'm afraid - We've done alright overall IMO...

How long have you supported the Albion for out of interest?
46 years

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Congratulations to him. Not only does he beat Bobby's record but he has a far better head of hair - although that might be due to a performance enhancing rug.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here