Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fifa 16

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think I'm alone in not understanding the concept of FUT. if you've just spunked £50 on a game, why on earth would you spunk untold amounts more just to play it on a level playing field? Absolute madness dreamt up by EA to mug schoolboys of their pocket money

You don't have to spend money on FUT. You get 'coins' for playing games that can then be used to buy players on the 'transfer market' or to open 'packs' where you get random players. To get the best players in the game though you would probably have to spend some money, unless you got seriously lucky when opening packs. Messi (the best player in the game) would set you back something like 7 million coins on the transfer market, which equates to a lot of games considering you get roughly 4-500 coins per game! Apart from maybe about 10-20 players, most are easily affordable.

My little boy hates FUT and won't play it.
I can't figure out exactly what it is, so I don't play it either ☺

Best way of describing it is FIFA's version of Fantasy football. You create your own team with the players you want/acquire and then play games with your squad, either online against other players squads or against the CPU.

Each player has 'chemistry' with the other players surrounding them in the starting 11 (as indicated by the lines and dots connecting each player card). So you probably wouldn't have great team chemistry if you had a real mix of players from different leagues, nationalities and clubs, with some players playing out of their natural position.

I quite like it personally!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Played FIFA 16 demo yesterday. I thought it played very well indeed, certainly seems a step up from 15 which was a very good game anyway!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
FIFA looks very impressive with its pretty graphics, presentation and match day atmosphere, but it's still basically arcade football. For the second year running it looks like I'll be sticking with a real football simulator in PES 16. It's a pity they couldn't combine the gameplay of PES with the presentation of FIFA, then we would have the perfect football game in my opinion.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
It annoys me that I can buy the disc on pre-order for £43.99, and be able to get some money back should I wish to trade it in, yet if I want to download a digital copy from the PlayStation store, where I have a few quid credit, it will cost me £54.99.:rant:

That's crazy, before Xbox released their new console they came out with a statement saying that digital copies will be cheaper because of no need for a physical disc. It actually works out a lot more expensive if you download it. Unfortunately my Xbox one has gone off for repair. So I won't be able to try out the demo.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
FIFA looks very impressive with its pretty graphics, presentation and match day atmosphere, but it's still basically arcade football. For the second year running it looks like I'll be sticking with a real football simulator in PES 16. It's a pity they couldn't combine the gameplay of PES with the presentation of FIFA, then we would have the perfect football game in my opinion.

I started off as a FIFA freak and then changed for about 2-3 years and then reverted back to FIFA.
Is the game play on PES much better than FIFA then?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I started off as a FIFA freak and then changed for about 2-3 years and then reverted back to FIFA.
Is the game play on PES much better than FIFA then?

Just my personal opinion but I think PES blows FIFA out of the water for gameplay. I know PES went downhill a lot in recent years but they've been steadily improving over the last 3 years and they're now back on top of their game. What always put me off with FIFA was how difficult it was to retain the ball, I always found that the opposition only had to look in your direction and possession was lost, maybe I was just crap at it, but with PES it seems to be a lot fairer, if you work hard enough you can keep possession of the ball long enough to build up some nice genuine attacking moves that don't feel 'scripted' like they do in FIFA. There is also the element of unpredictability with PES, with FIFA you pretty much know the outcome of a game before you even play it, but with PES, as in real life, you can get the odd shock result, it all adds to the realism of the game. In FIFA I find every goal is pretty much the same, in PES, no two goals are the same. There's a demo of PES on the PS4, download it and make your own mind up.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I've made a list of pro's and cons between the 2 games, as I have bought both games pretty much year on year - might help some people come to a decision

Fifa:

Pros:
  • Ingame presentation is great as its very true to life in terms of presentation packages (if you like the Premier League, or the Bundesliga this year) - the running to celebrate with subs is a cool feature too - all help with adding to the realism
  • Gameplay is good for player vs. player (i only play it with mates nowadays)
  • Top-level licenses (again, if you like the premier league, as they have all the stadiums)
  • Commentary is very good
  • Cool set-piece features

Cons:
  • Gameplay isn't as good as PES (in my opinion)
  • EA are OBSESSED with Ultimate Team, it's the only mode that matters - it's made more obvious when you look at features in their single player modes, where nothing of real note is added, or they remove features, to reintroduce it in a later year's release and tout it as 'new'
  • Career mode is bare-bones - they make steps to improve it, but its only tiny steps every year - it'll probably be good 10 years down the line, but by then they probably would have removed half the features anyway so they can reintroduce them
  • The licensing is all well and good, but if you want the full experience in terms of presentation and stadiums and face scans, it's only available for the Premier League
  • Player likeness is good, but nowhere near PES
  • Games are scripted to try and make games more exciting
  • Feels a bit arcadey at times
  • Upping the difficulty is actually just boosting the stats of the cpu, which sucks

PES:

Pros:
  • Gameplay is far better than FIFA in my opinion. plays truer to life, and much more rewarding goals can be scored
  • Player likeness is far better than FIFA
  • Looks like editing is back in, which helps negate the lack of licensing issue to a degree
  • difficulty actually makes sense in this game, rather than pump up stats, the computer just plays better

Cons:
  • Game engine still has some quirks (compared to FIFA for things like player collisions)
  • Severe lack of licenses for teams and leagues, they seem to have focused on competitions instead, which is OK i guess
  • Presentation isn't as good as FIFA's
  • Their Master League mode has been toilet in the past few years, when it used to be awesome - hopefully it improves this year (still better than FIFA's though)
  • Commentary is shite

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nope, always Pro Evo. Writing, speaking, sign, brail, the lot.

:lolol: Fair enough.

It is a shame that the Pro Evo 15 was ported so badly to the PC. Live action football games are the one place that PC gamers truly get stiffed. FIFA is invariably a version behind if not more, Konami it would seem could not give less of a **** about PC Pro Evo players. Looks like I will have to talk the Mrs in to buying 'herself' a PS4.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Never been a pro evo fan, but then I'm a sucker for realism and licensed kits etc. It dismayed me no end to see Fratton Park on the list of stadiums this year, however learning that one of the in game stadium architects passed away and was a Portsmouth fan it makes sense.

In future years I would be happy to pay £x as an in game purchase to buy The Amex as a playable stadium, or to buy a pack of championship grounds etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You don't HAVE to spunk loads of money with in game purchases, it is just an easy way of getting a better squad. There are many ways of making cash on FUT.

Or just play online against other people in Online Seasons. Then you can play as any top player in the world, with no extra cost.

I "get" FUT - I just think it's a massive hassle and ball ache having to sort all the contracts and keep condition up to 99 etc, I'd rather spend all that wasted time playing other players online in a league.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's weird. I LOVE the career mode on Fifa and have never touched Ultimate Team.

Perhaps I'm just ODD.

I'm a bit concerned that this is the year my choice of not yet upgrading from a 360 will really get shown up....

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Or just play online against other people in Online Seasons. Then you can play as any top player in the world, with no extra cost.

I "get" FUT - I just think it's a massive hassle and ball ache having to sort all the contracts and keep condition up to 99 etc, I'd rather spend all that wasted time playing other players online in a league.

Online seasons is the way to go for sure. You get to try all the best players plus it isn't as arcadey as ultimate team. Shahktar and Wolfsburg are my go to teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here