Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Reduced Fresh Mussels from Supermarket : Advice Needed

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
I bought some fresh mussels reduced from Supermarket deli counter. The fact that they're reduced means they are already on the turn so need to be extra careful. The instructions say discard any open or broken shells. If I did this I would be discarding nearly all of them as most of them are open meaning my original bargain would no longer be a bargain. It also says to tap half open shells and if they don't close immediately discard them too.
If I followed all of these instruction to the letter I would be left with about 10% of my original investment. As they were originally reduced by about 70% without doing the maths (which no doubt some smart arse on here will do for me) I have ended up paying significantly more than the original unreduced price per kg.
How strict do you think I need to be in following the instructions? Is the Supermarket just covering themselves by being over cautious?
Has anyone on NSC cooked and eaten open shelled mussels and survived?
Looking forward to hear from you if you have.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I bought some fresh mussels reduced from Supermarket deli counter. The fact that they're reduced means they are already on the turn so need to be extra careful. The instructions say discard any open or broken shells. If I did this I would be discarding nearly all of them as most of them are open meaning my original bargain would no longer be a bargain. It also says to tap half open shells and if they don't close immediately discard them too.
If I followed all of these instruction to the letter I would be left with about 10% of my original investment. As they were originally reduced by about 70% without doing the maths (which no doubt some smart arse on here will do for me) I have ended up paying significantly more than the original unreduced price per kg.
How strict do you think I need to be in following the instructions? Is the Supermarket just covering themselves by being over cautious?

Chuck them all out. Open ones are dead, and likely to be seriously bad for your health. Reduced, close to it's sell by date shell fish is definitely a terrible idea.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm always slightly nervous with mussels and other shellfish, as I suspect it's the bad -- or unfresh -- versions that cause allergic reactions. Always discard any with broken shells.
I appreciate that people have different budgets, but properly fresh mussels are not expensive comparatively, and one of the best value sources of protein. They're also environmentally friendly, and tasty. In other words, if you can afford to, buy mussels at standard price in future.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The worse that could happen is a bit of vomiting, and maybe the runs, probably only for 24hrs max. I'd give them a go.

p.s. on second thoughts, don't, you might die.

Last edited:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Chuck them all out. Open ones are dead, and likely to be seriously bad for your health. Reduced, close to it's sell by date shell fish is definitely a terrible idea.

Agreed. The rules for mussels given are something I was taught too, it's not just the supermarket covering themselves.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The worse that could happen is a bit of vomiting, and maybe the runs, probably only for 24hrs max. I'd give them a go.

I make you very wrong on that.

"Eating dead mussels can cause health problems like headache, vomiting, confusion, diarrhea, loss of memory, disorientation, choking feeling, trouble breathing, slurred speech, burning of mouth, face, arms, legs and neck. In severe cases of eating dead mussels, poisoning can cause coma, seizures and even death."

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

"Eating dead mussels can cause health problems like headache, vomiting, confusion, diarrhea, loss of memory, disorientation, choking feeling, trouble breathing, slurred speech, burning of mouth, face, arms, legs and neck. In severe cases of eating dead mussels, poisoning can cause coma, seizures and even death."

I got 2 of the 12 symptoms right! Maybe not all the important ones, but I've done worse on tests.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

An investment in reduced mussels is a very poor investment, IMHO.

You've got to be pretty careful discarding dead ones when you buy them fresh, let alone at reduced prices.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can be a bit confusing though. Don't cook the open ones, don't eat the closed ones. Got to keep your wits about you when it comes to mussels.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
You could buy a bag that arrived direct from the mussel farm five minutes ago and still find that plenty are open, it doesn't mean that they are not alive, fresh or edible.
It's not whether they are open that's important. It's whether they shut when you give them a sharp tap on something solid. If they do, they are alive and thus fine to cook. They need to be shut going in to the pan and fully open coming out. Follow that rule and there's nothing to worry about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They do it down on Camber Sands, they do it at Waikiki

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

That's not entirely true as it depends on the life of the shellfish.

Free sea mussels yes, there is a risk but then we know when we cook anything that's "off" the same risk applies.

Fresh shellfish could, depending on where caught and the habitat could harbour endless amounts of bacteria from sewerage and other sea pollutants end up putting you in hospital if you don't follow the instructions but not to the extent you've said.

Rope grown or farmed mussels that are dead will give you an upset stomach as most as they will be from a. Relatively clean environment.

The fact is that you have more risk of becoming ill with Vietnamese farmed Basa fillets than shellfish if you cook everything as per the instructions!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
That's not entirely true as it depends on the life of the shellfish.

Free sea mussels yes, there is a risk but then we know when we cook anything that's "off" the same risk applies.

Fresh shellfish could, depending on where caught and the habitat could harbour endless amounts of bacteria from sewerage and other sea pollutants end up putting you in hospital if you don't follow the instructions but not to the extent you've said.

Rope grown or farmed mussels that are dead will give you an upset stomach as most as they will be from a. Relatively clean environment.

The fact is that you have more risk of becoming ill with Vietnamese farmed Basa fillets than shellfish if you cook everything as per the instructions!

But it is entirely true, you can suffer all the symptoms I described. The fact that the likelihood is small, as most mussels are grown in a clean environment, doesn't actually change anything.

My point was that a 24 hour dose of the shits is certainly not the worst possible outcome from eating dead mussels.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

A bit like the burgers at Withdean then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here