Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on Wales

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure about this heralded 'teamwork' everyone is banging on about...

If you have watched them during this campaign, then you would know it is quite the opposite.

The tactics are literally, pass the ball to Bale at the earliest opportunity at all times.

Water carriers being prepared to do the donkey work, in support of one or two star players, rather than to get themselves noticed, is the absolute DEFINITION of team-work.

Anyone else want to see a Team GB?

Good GRIEF, no.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Water carriers being prepared to do the donkey work, in support of one or two star players, rather than to get themselves noticed, is the absolute DEFINITION of team-work.

Good luck to them when he gets injured then!

I would add, it has been very refreshing to see how much it means to Bale himself though, wish some of the England lads would take on that kind of responsibility.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nope. Take away the sense of national pride and/or plucky underdoggedness and there's not a lot else left to get behind. Gawd save us all from a bland generic Team GB.

Yep - absolutely. Team GB (outside of the Olympics) is a massive NO for me.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Do they?

All of them?
Yes 99.9 % do, yes i know youre wife is from northern ireland , yes they're nice to your face making encouraging noises in front of you if youre watching England on TV or youre talking football with them ,yes behind youre back they'll be slating the **** out of England , yes you need to come down from everyoneislovelyland and join the real world.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nope. Take away the sense of national pride and/or plucky underdoggedness and there's not a lot else left to get behind. Gawd save us all from a bland generic Team GB.

That's a rather pessimistic way of looking at it if you ask me, Mr Hark. I knew when I typed the words it wouldn't be popular. I implore you to allow me to change your opinion, you see I'm the sort of chap that likes to celebrate what we have in common - not focus on our differences.

Personally I'd love to see a coming together of Great nations for a common cause. I'd love to see us all appreciate our national differences and put them all aside. I'd like to see us unite in our love of the Beautiful Game. I want to see one Team GB stand together, not nasty individualistic point scoring nonsense. I want to a spirit of camaraderie and companionship. #Together we're stronger. #Together we're more likely to beat Germany.

Now if we'd had Giggs crossing balls in for Shearer.. I wonder if we might have a bit more silverware in the locker?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes 99.9 % do, yes i know youre wife is from northern ireland , yes they're nice to your face making encouraging noises in front of you if youre watching England on TV or youre talking football with them ,yes behind youre back they'll be slating the **** out of England , yes you need to come down from everyoneislovelyland and join the real world.

Well, there's an awful lot of wrong right there.

They all want to beat us, of course, and a minority of knuckle-draggers harbour genuine grudges, but for the VAST majority its just pantomime.

(And my wife is not from Northern Ireland).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Team GB? No thanks.

Hatred towards our small neighbouring countries? No thanks. I prefer to leave that sort of thing to the Celtic minnows along with their other tin-pot traditions that mark them out as no marks, like celebrating saints days and wearing comedy "traditional" costume. England is proper confident country capable of defining itself with something other than "we all hate <another country>".

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

They all want to beat us, of course, and a minority of knuckle-draggers harbour genuine grudges, but for the VAST majority its just pantomime.

Ireland then

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a rather pessimistic way of looking at it if you ask me, Mr Hark. I knew when I typed the words it wouldn't be popular. I implore you to allow me to change your opinion, you see I'm the sort of chap that likes to celebrate what we have in common - not focus on our differences.

Personally I'd love to see a coming together of Great nations for a common cause. I'd love to see us all appreciate our national differences and put them all aside. I'd like to see us unite in our love of the Beautiful Game. I want to see one Team GB stand together, not nasty individualistic point scoring nonsense. I want to a spirit of camaraderie and companionship. #Together we're stronger. #Together we're more likely to beat Germany.

Now if we'd had Giggs crossing balls in for Shearer.. I wonder if we might have a bit more silverware in the locker?

Hardly.

Basically what you are suggesting, boils down to "We'd quite like to poach Gareth Bale, for a re-branded England team"

No-one in Scotland, Northern Ireland or many in Wales, will be #Together behind that team.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

by the
yes as evidenced by the totally non partisan yes campaign in the recent scottish independence vote and the 45 % that backed them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
yes as evidenced by the totally non partisan yes campaign in the recent scottish independence vote and the 45 % that voted for them.

55/45 is a massive difference. For every No voter, 22% more people wanted to stay in the union - and that is despite the fact that we have two bob little Englanders running around in UKIP, threatening to pull us out of Europe and destroying the Scottish economy (they are far more reliant on the EU than we are).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hardly.

Basically what you are suggesting, boils down to "We'd quite like to poach Gareth Bale, for a re-branded England team"

No-one in Scotland, Northern Ireland or many in Wales, will be #Together behind that team.

Really not what I'm saying at all. Of course they wouldn't agree to that, neither should it be suggested. Obviously there would have to be an even spread of players.

Personally, I wouldn't be close minded to it - but I can understand how you might be,

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i doubt many even read the question , but the campaign was certainly based on anti english sentiment.
It would be interesting to get a Scotsman's take on this. You know, the people the referendum was aimed at, rather than you just declaring it was anti-English.

Personally, I reckon this is more subjective angry bollocks from you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really not what I'm saying at all. Of course they wouldn't agree to that, neither should it be suggested. Obviously there would have to be an even spread of players.

Personally, I wouldn't be close minded to it - but I can understand how you might be,

Well, unless you devise a ridiculous and counter-productive quota system, where the manager is forced to include Paddy McCourt, Lewin Nyatanga and a couple of token Scottish donkeys, you will never get anything remotely close to an 'even spread of players'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here