Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post transfer deadline day reflections

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
the only reason we survived the drop was because Millwall and Rotherham were so bad (how did we fare against both of those teams?).

Two things:

1) Rotherham didn't go down.
2) We conceded fewer than all but one team outside the top 6.

Apart from those two minor errors, you're spot on. :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Great window, would have been excellent if we had landed JC but, considering the amount of ground we had to make up, due to our ineptitude last summer, this summer has been a great success. Well done Tony, Paul, Chris, and the new Recruitment regime.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
the only reason we survived the drop was because Millwall and Rotherham were so bad (how did we fare against both of those teams?). Against both Fulham and Ipswich this season at times our defence looked at 6s and 7s.

Oh for sixes and sevens. We've had 2 clean sheets at home. And conceded only 4 times. The fewest (bar Boro who haven't scored 8 times) in the division. 19 teams have conceded more.

Our defence saved us last season and were at the heart of our top 6 finishes in 12/13/ , 13/14. We failed to do better because of a lack of goals. This year lets hope thats fixed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh for sixes and sevens. We've had 2 clean sheets at home. And conceded only 4 times. The fewest (bar Boro who haven't scored 8 times) in the division. 19 teams have conceded more.

Our defence saved us last season and were at the heart of our top 6 finishes in 12/13/ , 13/14. We failed to do better because of a lack of goals. This year lets hope thats fixed.

Spot on CJ...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

I dont normally agree with your minister of information posts but this is spot on.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Still?

When have we been suspect in defence? Last season we had something like the 4th best defence in the division. If it wasn't for our defence, and I include Stockdale in that, then we would be in League One right now.

If our defence was at all suspect last season, the two most suspect parts, Messrs Halford and Bennett J, are no longer part of it thank ****.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If our defence was at all suspect last season, the two most suspect parts, Messrs Halford and Bennett J, are no longer part of it thank ****.

Bong has been a breath of fresh air....or just a decent positive full back compared to what Bennett served up. Played for himself and his own stats most of the time.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Our defence, is somehow, even more mean than last year! Keeping Dunk and bringing in Uwe is an excellent move by the club. Obviously that's a fantastic platform to build on. Our big problem is scoring goals - the club know it, Hughton knows it. It's been addressed to an extent with a very attacking 442 formation. Hemed is excellent value for money and there's genuine competition upfront with Baldock and Zamora. Will it be enough to fire us to glory? On paper, possibly not, but a great team spirit and a few players hitting form will stand us in excellent stead this season. We're certainly like far more like a top 6 squad than previously under Sami. Injuries and suspensions will no doubt come our way but I'm really excited to see the strength and depth we have. Having the likes of Rosenior/Zamora on the bench is incredibly impressive. It also allows us to change our game depending on the opposition - see Roseniors start against Ipswich.

An excellent transfer window for the club. I'm really, really happy with the business we've done.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I feel all the hype over the possible Calleri deal took attention away from Elvis rocking up which took the shine off a player who rejected what looked on paper better prospects with Premiership Watford and others. A good deal which I hope turns into another Houghton gem.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're top of the league, we've brought in some quality players including one player who played over half of Feyenoord's games last season. Meanwhile AZ Alkmaar are 14th with 2 points from 4 games, just outside the relegation zone of the Dutch Eredivisie.

That Iranian Ali bloke must be feeling a right dick. I hope he gets relegated. :bigwave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bennett went to Bournemouth yesterday I noted.

Maybe Buckley will end up there on loan too? I would be interested to see how he links up with Murray. The dream team we never saw...

Re the Albion, it appears to have been a very good summer and not a loan player in the squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe Buckley will end up there on loan too? I would be interested to see how he links up with Murray. The dream team we never saw...

Re the Albion, it appears to have been a very good summer and not a loan player in the squad.
He'll have to wait until January for a loan there, as PL teams cannot use the loan window for signings.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He'll have to wait until January for a loan there, as PL teams cannot use the loan window for signings.

Must brush up on the different rules between the Premier League and the Championship. I'll need to know them for next season :wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Very pleased with our business and how things are set up at the moment. Leicester have just announced that Ulloa could go out on loan, so that would be nice.
It's great being top of the league and winning away against the previous leaders.
If we beat Hull a week on Saturday, I think I will be pinching myself to see if this is all a dream.... but who knows.
So not counting any chickens and not getting carried away, but pretty confident that we will have a better season than last season.

I thought Chris HUGHTON (that's how you spell his name) was a good appointment from the outset. Unassuming, not full of cr@p, quietly, intelligently and thoughtfully going about his business, being honest when things go wrong (a bit like Mick McCarthy) and being an all round good bloke.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Must brush up on the different rules between the Premier League and the Championship. I'll need to know them for next season :wink:
:lolol: Although of course the february loan window is the last one there will be, and it won't be around anyway next season...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Signings in the form Bobby Z and Hemed and Elvis seem impressive, not least in the price tags and the high-class stores we bought them from, but i think much of our astonishing improvement has come from the spirit-lifting and character-forming skills of chief Hughton and his coaches. A pre-season obviously helped, but in that time he has helped remake Kaz, Bruno and Stockers in particular, each of them sure-footed and deadly when necessary whilst still being themselves, and even Dunk before his head was slightly turned seemed more of a £5m man. The performance at Ipswich was a stunner and it spoke of the collective and the shared belief and how they can lead each other. The hunger for victory, and the sheer effort put in to achieve that and quell those backward beasts' usual barbarism, was immense. Getting the right people in for their skill level isn't always the right answer, but getting the right combination of characters seems like it might be. There'll be slumps, and we'll see how we handle it, but thus far it's been a cracking opening on a field full of captains. Long may it continue.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I feel all the hype over the possible Calleri deal took attention away from Elvis rocking up which took the shine off a player who rejected what looked on paper better prospects with Premiership Watford and others. A good deal which I hope turns into another Houghton gem.
He has sneaked in under the radar a little bit, I don't think there is any real expectation to weigh him down. With his low key, unheralded entrance I hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised once we see him in action.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Still?

When have we been suspect in defence? Last season we had something like the 4th best defence in the division. If it wasn't for our defence, and I include Stockdale in that, then we would be in League One right now.

Arsenal moan about their defence as well despite being one of the best. Does look like 4-4-2 possibly 4-2-3-1 (sometimes) and that "expansive" 4-3-3 has been discarded. Play-off at best for the Albion. One or two more players, perhaps even one and I would tip us to have a chance against any team in the Division. Really depends how the new players fit in? And how good they are as some are unknowns.

Relegated clubs have not lost as many players as expected and there have been some big spenders this summer.

As far as I've been able to work out this season, the improvement is entirely down to Lualua. (I missed the first haf of the Ipswich game though, just tuned in when we were 0-2 up.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here