Votes: 89 33.5%
  • 10/10- Amazing/Fantastic

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Who have we covered Kayal and Stephens with?

8/10 for me, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Some of you have a low expectation of perfection. 10/10 would have needed competition for our central pairing, and a proven top scorer at this level. Marshall would have been nice too, looks like a good player.

Holla, Ince & Harper. All can play those roles, not quite so well obviously but can.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
8 for me. We have yet to see many of these players kick a football in our colours. However every player since Kayal has been very very good. Who is doing all this work identifying these players from far and wide. Has Hughton got a little black book?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excellent window - very happy with it. Eight out of ten for me.

Only concern is that we haven't got cover for Kayal or Stephens when one of them is injured or suspended. Ince, JFC and Holla aren't up to playing in a central role in a 442 with two wingers. Crofts MIGHT be, if he can ever get back to his best form and fitness, but that's a big if IMHO.

Other point dropped is that we haven't found alternative homes for Chicksen, Colunga and Holla.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We are solvent, no embargos, not selling players, buying players with multi million pound budgets, still seems unbelievable when I remember the loss of the Goldstone, the near death of the club at Gillingham and the poverty of Withdean.

Looking forward to watching the new signings get to grips with the championship, seeing what the loan market may bring and the move in January for targets not achieved.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
8 for me. We have yet to see many of these players kick a football in our colours. However every player since Kayal has been very very good. Who is doing all this work identifying these players from far and wide. Has Hughton got a little black book?

Explaining the other critical area of the club's restructure, Barber added, "Paul Winstanley will continue to work with Chris Hughton, the chairman and myself on our player recruitment having already done a very good job on this front in the January transfer window.

"As part of this role, Paul will also take direct responsibility for our analysis and scouting areas."

Winstanley joined Albion from Derby County in 2014. Prior to that he spent several years at Wigan Athletic where he supported Paul Jewell and his staff with detailed player analysis.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-appoint-paul-mullen-2310216.aspx

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Holla, Ince & Harper. All can play those roles, not quite so well obviously but can.
Harper? He's a forward, and nowhere near ready for the 1st team (I imagine). Crofts, Holla, Ince and JFC would be the options. Crofts should be good, but he hasn't played for a long time. I don't think Holla or Ince can play anywhere near the level of our current centre pairing. I hope JFC could in time, but still, a perfect transfer window would have had an able backup. If CH thinks he has the backup already, then I guess we didn't need one, but I don't know that.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Anybody want to have another go at this now they have actually seen some of the recruits play? I always though people misunderstood the question. I think it was supposed to relate to our transfer activity not league position.

My answer is 5.5/10.

In the key area of strikers - our biggest weakness last season - we have probably gone backwards. CMS COG Best out. Hemed and Bobby in. Less strikers. Cheaper strikers. Bobby so far past it that Houghton started the second half without any strikers rather than bring him off the bench. Hemed gets in great positions but finishes poorly. We are definitely a Vydra short of a good team as Tony knew.

Central midfield. Out Kemy. In nobody. On paper good depth with kayal/Stephens/crofts/ince/jfc/holla. But we saw last season and in the cup how ineffectual we are without Kayal or Stephens. We needed one more quality midfielder and didn't get it.

Attacking/wide mids. In murphy/elvis out tex/McCourt. Slight improvement. While Murphy is cheaper than tex he suits a 442 much better. Elvis didn't do a lot and lacks McCourts skill but at least he can run which is what we need in this division.

Fullbacks in bong rosenior out Bennett. Bong for Bennett is break even but as least he is permanent. Rosenior is a great addition to the squad.

BFG and Samson and FIG are all good additions to the squad - but I wouldn't have any of them in the first team.

Youth team in harper/hambo - look to have more potential than previous recruits but who knows.

Bottom line is we spent a lot on the squad but barely improved the first team if at all. Murphy for March would be the only clear improvement. And heaven help us if Hemed or Kayal or Stephens get injured.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anybody want to have another go at this now they have actually seen some of the recruits play? I always though people misunderstood the question. I think it was supposed to relate to our transfer activity not league position.

My answer is 5.5/10.

In the key area of strikers - our biggest weakness last season - we have probably gone backwards. CMS COG Best out. Hemed and Bobby in. Less strikers. Cheaper strikers. Bobby so far past it that Houghton started the second half without any strikers rather than bring him off the bench. Hemed gets in great positions but finishes poorly. We are definitely a Vydra short of a good team as Tony knew.

Central midfield. Out Kemy. In nobody. On paper good depth with kayal/Stephens/crofts/ince/jfc/holla. But we saw last season and in the cup how ineffectual we are without Kayal or Stephens. We needed one more quality midfielder and didn't get it.

Attacking/wide mids. In murphy/elvis out tex/McCourt. Slight improvement. While Murphy is cheaper than tex he suits a 442 much better. Elvis didn't do a lot and lacks McCourts skill but at least he can run which is what we need in this division.

Fullbacks in bong rosenior out Bennett. Bong for Bennett is break even but as least he is permanent. Rosenior is a great addition to the squad.

BFG and Samson and FIG are all good additions to the squad - but I wouldn't have any of them in the first team.

Youth team in harper/hambo - look to have more potential than previous recruits but who knows.

Bottom line is we spent a lot on the squad but barely improved the first team if at all. Murphy for March would be the only clear improvement. And heaven help us if Hemed or Kayal or Stephens get injured.
Who is Houghton, or are you just rather pathetic at spelling?

'Out Kemy, in nobody' - what, you are calling that a negative?

'CMS COG Best out. Hemed and Bobby in. Less strikers. Cheaper strikers. Bobby so far past it'. Gawd almighty, what are you on? Stick to Aussie rules, mate. Or rugby. Or just stick to drowning worms in the Murray River..............

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

My answer is 5.5/10.

One word

DRIVEL

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean

My answer is 5.5/10.

Bizzarely negative post after what was a decent, if slightly disappointing draw. We have significantly strengthened in every area of the pitch besides centre midfield, which is arguably our strongest area anyway. To say that we've gone backwards regarding our strike force is utterly ridiculous. Our squad is FAR better than it was last season.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I was talking to a Gooner who I have taken to the Amex a couple of times and he said he worried what would happen when we lost a game. I told him I wasn't worried as our bench was so good and behind the bench were 4 or 5 players as well. I really can't remember a stronger squad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

My answer is 5.5/10.

Funniest post I've seen for a long time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

My answer is 5.5/10.

You're drunk... Go home.

Typic NSC judging a player (Elvis) on 45 mins of football :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that yesterday was an acceptable result but showed that we may need to go into the loan market for cover and competition for Kayal/Stephens and Baldock/Hemed as they re bound to either get suspended injured or just have a bad run of form. We do not appear to have adequate cover ready to call on so perhaps a couple of older Premier League players not in their clubs 25 man squad would do. One name comes to mind immediately Kevin Nolan for 1 yr contract.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My answer is 5.5/10.

Gone backwards with strikers. Right. Hemed is the divisions joint top scorer at the moment, which I'll take given he is also new to the division and English football. Remind us how many CMS and COG got last season (combined) ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We've got an empty #21 shirt where we would benefit from having another striker, but other than that, excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here