Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The changing face of brighton and hove

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I never did like the fast lipped old school market traders, always something quite piss takey about them, quite smug and alienated the buyers rather than welcome them. Don't get me wrong I like your fruit and veg winky, bag rolling extra plum types but the proper Del Boys selling empty camera boxes and 24 piece sets of mixed crockery were proper scum. Don't like the new breed either. I guess what I'm saying is I don't like con merchants wherever they hail from.

They're actors Nibble, actors .... show some solidarity !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The proper trade markets , Billingsgate etc have been ruined by the decline of unions. You don't need a union card to be a market porter now so the wages are now reduced and the stall holders hire immigrants willing to take less pay.
My god, this must send the right wingers into a spin, the very idea that a right wing ideal (no unions) is actually encouraging the employment of immigrants over white British. Confusing times.

What a load of rubbish,you never had to have a union card to be a porter at Billingsgate,you had to have a license in the past though,nothing to do with union membership or subscription at all.

your are correct though,immigrants are willing to work for less money and wages are reduced,hope you are less confused now.

D

Deleted User X18H

This thread is a disgrace .

I have written to my MP about . A pointless excercise really as it doesn't concern t*ts or drugs , so I doubt she'll be interested .

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
To be fair the Indian traders back then were cracking blokes,but the white English humour is renown worldwide and is second to none.

Indeed, people with different coloured skin don't have a good a sense a humour as those that are white, you can't beat it.

#wtf

Dec 15, 2014
Here
DSC00840-590x442.jpg

Faces are a-changing.

D

Deleted member 22389

The local garage has decided to start employing young Brits which I think is fantastic, previous to that it was only Asians being employed. May be just may be the franchisees thought it would be better for their business to start employing some Brits again.

I have also noticed that the local fish and chip shop has decided to employ a Brit to take the orders over the phone, for them it probably makes perfect business sense. Orders taken over the phone are done much quicker than dealing with someone who has broken English. At least as a customer you can get your point across. People need to stop getting so sensitive about things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, yes I am.

So you went today did you?

I was reflecting how it was then to now, I couldn't give a **** if they are white, black green or purple. I thought it was illegal to sell fake goods so blatantly.

Did you not understNd that from my post?

Yep, because everything sold in the market back in the 70's was purely legitimate wasn't it? Not one thing was dodgy. All bought fairly and above board.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Going completely off tangent here, but I recently read Danny Baker's first auto-biography.

Very good it is, but as I was reading about his dad and his 'bunce', it struck me that he would be completely vilified in today's press, and by many people who read said press.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, because everything sold in the market back in the 70's was purely legitimate wasn't it? Not one thing was dodgy. All bought fairly and above board.

yes, back in the day there was the stalls that sold dodgy jeans and trainers, but they were more " crap" trainers and jeans that had labels that you had never heard of. Yesterday, the market I briefly attended was almost 100% full of stalls selling what supposedly is fake gear that you normally see in Europe being sold on the streets( michael kors handbags, emperor Armani Trakkies, ray ban sunglasses...all at a tenner a pop)

My point, I will reiterate, was that the markets that I remember at the race hill included amongst the tat sellers, many vegetable and meat stalls as well as local artisans selling their home made jewellery and that sort of thing. It appears that these have gone to be replaced by sellers above.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I went to the previous bank holiday market and there were Asian guys serving up chicken tikka biriyani. It was top notch.

Times change and people can get stuff cheaper on the internet these days.

The OP comes across as a sad elderly xenophobe.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I went to the previous bank holiday market and there were Asian guys serving up chicken tikka biriyani. It was top notch.

Oh the irony ....... Asian serves up a good chicken tikka biriyani story, multiculturalism at its best.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Elderly!!!...how very dare you

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
yes, back in the day there was the stalls that sold dodgy jeans and trainers, but they were more " crap" trainers and jeans that had labels that you had never heard of. Yesterday, the market I briefly attended was almost 100% full of stalls selling what supposedly is fake gear that you normally see in Europe being sold on the streets( michael kors handbags, emperor Armani Trakkies, ray ban sunglasses...all at a tenner a pop)

My point, I will reiterate, was that the markets that I remember at the race hill included amongst the tat sellers, many vegetable and meat stalls as well as local artisans selling their home made jewellery and that sort of thing. It appears that these have gone to be replaced by sellers above.

Nah, that's just your memory playing up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here