Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A lot to pay for someone who isn't your player but he could make all the difference they need just as many think he could have for us. If you can afford the gamble it's worth it :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I expect we 'bid them up' which meant we were offering something just below that seemingly crazy amount?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A lot of Championship clubs have gone financially berserk in this transfer window.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
A lot to pay for someone who isn't your player but he could make all the difference they need just as many think he could have for us. If you can afford the gamble it's worth it :shrug:

Is it really worth 'gambling' £3.5 mil when they are weakening other areas of their squad? If they don't make top 6 this will be a huge mistake.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Argus says:

Vydra's loan deal to Reading is almost done.
The Royals are thought to be paying Watford a £2.5 million loan fee, which matches their record transfer!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That is a pure transfer gamble by Reading. To give up that amount money for a player you do not even own seems ridiculous. I would not feel good about us doing a deal like that, much rather spend on a permanent signing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That is a pure transfer gamble by Reading. To give up that amount money for a player you do not even own seems ridiculous. I would not feel good about us doing a deal like that, much rather spend on a permanent signing.

It does seem a very odd way to do business. I guess if Reading go up, it will be seen as a masterstroke.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Suppose selling hector pays for this loan

With Hector leaving (unless he comes back on loan), the only recognised CBs on their books are Paul McShane, Anton Ferdinand and some 20 year old with a handful of appearances. Throw two dodgy 'keepers into the mix and they're not looking particularly strong in defence.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Indeed. For loan fee read "bribe".

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Vydra -> Reading deal done...

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Meanwhile Derby have agreed a deal with Norwich for Bradley Johnson, what a signing that would be.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2.5m rental for a player is bonkers business, plus whatever wages they are contracted to pay

I'm surprised more parachute payment teams don't do this. Following relegation you could rent an entire team of Matej Vydra's without impacting on your cashflow.

This sort of deal blows us out of the water because with the £2m fee, agents costs, player wages and employer's NI the hit on the Profit & Loss for the year is probably around the £5million mark. Even if we signed a 3 year deal for a £4million player on £30K a week the P&L impact would only be £3 million per year.

This is a total gamble by Reading, pure and simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here