Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrea Orlandi

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If he has others on the same wavelength around him, he is very effective. A graceful player that will give you one or two moments to treasure I am sure.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
After his last season here I had come to the decision that we couldn't afford his many injured spells.

But when it became official and he left I felt like a 2 year old who can't have his cake and eat it. Great guy, very good player.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
No offence taken. With 1 goal scored in our last 8 games & only 4 wins in our last 28 matches, i'm not expecting European qualification myself this season.

Oddly. I take a bit of heart from the fact that Lennon has worked almost exclusively on the defence this summer & though it's not pretty, we're not quite as soppy & porous this season, we've got decent creative midfielders in Mark Vavies & Clough, but actually scoring goals is looking like a big problem for us.

It's your lucky day!!! How about Chris O'Grady plus 100k in cash to go shopping with?

What more could you ask for??

One of my all time favourite players.

Graceful doesn't even come close to describing him. And for that reason alone I dearly hope he doesn't end up at Bolton, especially with that cockwomble Lennon in charge.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No offense to the OP but I see them going down. Their attacking options look as limited as ours last season but they can only spend less rather than more and Lennon doesn't have a tenth of Hughton's contacts. That Clough kiddie is a bit special but he may end up like Tex for us last season, a shining gem in a shower of shit.

I see it the same. I was fond of Orlandi but he wouldn't be my first choice in a relegation battle, even if he does stay fit. I wasn't one of these that thought he would have improved us significantly last year.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh dear....sounds like a decent midfield player but made of glass......not the 15/20 goals a season striker we're screaming out for.
Sounds about right. A good player in a good team, but not one to seize a bad team by the scruff of the neck, Steven Gerrard like, and turn things around.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Supposed to be training with the mighty Wanderers........is he any good ?

Currently, our forwards couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.....will Orlandi improve things ?

Orlandi is a playmaker and, though not a striker, has come up with some goals one or two of which have been sublime.

As others have said he is an extremely nice guy but the fitness issue cannot be ignored but if it could be I would be happy to see him back at the Amex.

I was sad to see him having pitched up with Bpool last season.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Wonderful player when fit, but unfortunately that wasn't often the case during the 2013-2014 season, and he rarely looked the player he had been the previous season. As others have said, though, a great bloke who, on leaving us, wrote the fans a personal letter to say how much he enjoyed his time with us and how sad he was to leave. I can still remember wonderful moments of skill, most particularly his back heel goal against Newcastle. You certainly do need some players with greater skill. The game against Blackburn was 90 minutes of constant hoof ball. I don't think I could take being a fan of either side at present.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Signed for Anorthosis Famagusa ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440970496.064501.jpg

Oh dear....sounds like a decent midfield player but made of glass......not the 15/20 goals a season striker we're screaming out for.

He is most definitely not a striker, but he is a beautiful footballer. Technically gifted with a wonderful touch and an eye for a great pass.
Yes, he is injury prone, but I'd have in back in the squad any day! Great player!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
On the same day that that Nile Ranger releases a statement apologising for, well, being Nile Ranger, I read Orlandi's last English blog entry - well worth a quick read; class, honesty, and integrity.

From Blackpool to Anorthosis, from the north of England to Cyprus. A change I would have never guessed, one that is convincing me more and more day by day, though. It was the right moment. ‘You hook on here and stay for ten years or you will want to leave in two months‘, Roberto Martinez said to me when I landed on Swansea and my British adventure began. It has not been a decade but almost. When I look back I have got no regrets, no matter the good or bad moments… and taking into account that I could write a very interesting book about my last season in Blackpool.

No regrets about my Blackpool period because I learnt a lot and I met terrific and devoted supporters who don’t deserve what is happening there. I didn’t want to tell anything about my leaving before because I have never liked controversy. A clause of my contract stated that I could go free in case of relegation and having completed 2,070 minutes on the pitch. Despite of them not allowing me to play the last two matches, I have already fulfilled that time.

So I had a contract but I could go. Due to the way I am, I chose to leave and to give up my salary in spite of not having a team. I had to leave, I needed it. I could stay and keep on getting my wages while waiting an offer, but I don’t like to cheat anyone, much less a club in a so strange situation. Honestly: I have a bad taste in my mouth for the fans, but I had no strength to stay.

The day after the end of the season I got an offer from a Championship club, and two more during that week. I chose to solve my situation with Blackpool before committing myself with anybody and I lost those options.

I didn’t know how but I ended up running along Vilanova without a sure thing, not knowing where I was going to be, watching how other teams started the preseason and weighed down with a situation I wish nobody. They reached me to play at the Italian Serie B, there was something from France and sort of an offer from the new Indian league. And some inconclusive callings from England.

One day my friend Fede Bessone, who I played in Swansea with, told me he had signed with Prat. We were chatting about it and finally I got a permission to train with them. They are a fourth category club with a Champions League heart. It’s not just because of Pedro Dolera —a magnificent coach— and the quality of the team. Humanely speaking, they should envy nobody. On the contrary, a lot of clubs should learn from Prat. I will be forever in debt with that club, players and coach because they were there when I started to sink. I was there for two weeks and suddenly I had the opportunity to train with Bolton.

I was a whole week in Bolton along with a great quality squad, well managed by Neil Lennon. Maybe I arrived late or something went wrong… I don’t know. The thing is when Anorthosis called I had no doubts. I wanted to feel myself a footballer. I could have waited with no rush because I had no contract and I wasn’t bound to any market closing time, but I decided to go to Cyprus. They called me and sent a completely clear written offer and everything was closed in just one day. From the 14º in Bolton to the 35º in Larnaka…

Deep down I feel pity for leaving England. Two promotions, two playoffs with Brighton and yes, a relegation. But I leave with a clear conscience and the proud of giving everything until the last day. I know that nobody in Swansea, Brighton or Blackpool can argue about my devotion. And apart from my work, I leave a lot of good friends.

It has been an unforgettable experience. One thing is for sure: I will come back to the English football some day, weather as a player (years go by, though, and I don’t know if the opportunity will arise) or a coach.

I am in Cyprus now, where I count 29 Spanish players at First Division. In Anorthosis I met Toni Calvo again (we were together in Barça B). Thomas Christiansen is coaching AEK, Albert Serrán y Urko (another great friend) are in APOEL… Football here is much more serious that you can imagine if you don’t know it…

The Anorthosis aim is to steal the Cypriot league throne from the APOEL. It’s quite a challenge and I love challenges, no matter you can’t always fulfill them. There is a lot of preassure, which I like, and the supporters are awesome. I made my debut last Sunday. After four months I am not at one hundred per cent, but I played well for 67 minutes and we won for 3-0. We are leaders! Not so bad, isn’t it?

I am sure that I will be on fire in two weeks. Moreover, my family arrives next week and I’m thrilled about it. It’s been a month without them! They will enjoy the weather and the people from Cyprus as much as I do… and this adventure we begin.

We will be in touch, my friends, now from Cyprus but without forgetting (how could I?) England.

Vamooooooooos!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
On the same day that that Nile Ranger releases a statement apologising for, well, being Nile Ranger, I read Orlandi's last English blog entry - well worth a quick read; class, honesty, and integrity.

From Blackpool to Anorthosis, from the north of England to Cyprus. A change I would have never guessed, one that is convincing me more and more day by day, though. It was the right moment. ‘You hook on here and stay for ten years or you will want to leave in two months‘, Roberto Martinez said to me when I landed on Swansea and my British adventure began. It has not been a decade but almost. When I look back I have got no regrets, no matter the good or bad moments… and taking into account that I could write a very interesting book about my last season in Blackpool.

No regrets about my Blackpool period because I learnt a lot and I met terrific and devoted supporters who don’t deserve what is happening there. I didn’t want to tell anything about my leaving before because I have never liked controversy. A clause of my contract stated that I could go free in case of relegation and having completed 2,070 minutes on the pitch. Despite of them not allowing me to play the last two matches, I have already fulfilled that time.

So I had a contract but I could go. Due to the way I am, I chose to leave and to give up my salary in spite of not having a team. I had to leave, I needed it. I could stay and keep on getting my wages while waiting an offer, but I don’t like to cheat anyone, much less a club in a so strange situation. Honestly: I have a bad taste in my mouth for the fans, but I had no strength to stay.

The day after the end of the season I got an offer from a Championship club, and two more during that week. I chose to solve my situation with Blackpool before committing myself with anybody and I lost those options.

I didn’t know how but I ended up running along Vilanova without a sure thing, not knowing where I was going to be, watching how other teams started the preseason and weighed down with a situation I wish nobody. They reached me to play at the Italian Serie B, there was something from France and sort of an offer from the new Indian league. And some inconclusive callings from England.

One day my friend Fede Bessone, who I played in Swansea with, told me he had signed with Prat. We were chatting about it and finally I got a permission to train with them. They are a fourth category club with a Champions League heart. It’s not just because of Pedro Dolera —a magnificent coach— and the quality of the team. Humanely speaking, they should envy nobody. On the contrary, a lot of clubs should learn from Prat. I will be forever in debt with that club, players and coach because they were there when I started to sink. I was there for two weeks and suddenly I had the opportunity to train with Bolton.

I was a whole week in Bolton along with a great quality squad, well managed by Neil Lennon. Maybe I arrived late or something went wrong… I don’t know. The thing is when Anorthosis called I had no doubts. I wanted to feel myself a footballer. I could have waited with no rush because I had no contract and I wasn’t bound to any market closing time, but I decided to go to Cyprus. They called me and sent a completely clear written offer and everything was closed in just one day. From the 14º in Bolton to the 35º in Larnaka…

Deep down I feel pity for leaving England. Two promotions, two playoffs with Brighton and yes, a relegation. But I leave with a clear conscience and the proud of giving everything until the last day. I know that nobody in Swansea, Brighton or Blackpool can argue about my devotion. And apart from my work, I leave a lot of good friends.

It has been an unforgettable experience. One thing is for sure: I will come back to the English football some day, weather as a player (years go by, though, and I don’t know if the opportunity will arise) or a coach.

I am in Cyprus now, where I count 29 Spanish players at First Division. In Anorthosis I met Toni Calvo again (we were together in Barça B). Thomas Christiansen is coaching AEK, Albert Serrán y Urko (another great friend) are in APOEL… Football here is much more serious that you can imagine if you don’t know it…

The Anorthosis aim is to steal the Cypriot league throne from the APOEL. It’s quite a challenge and I love challenges, no matter you can’t always fulfill them. There is a lot of preassure, which I like, and the supporters are awesome. I made my debut last Sunday. After four months I am not at one hundred per cent, but I played well for 67 minutes and we won for 3-0. We are leaders! Not so bad, isn’t it?

I am sure that I will be on fire in two weeks. Moreover, my family arrives next week and I’m thrilled about it. It’s been a month without them! They will enjoy the weather and the people from Cyprus as much as I do… and this adventure we begin.

We will be in touch, my friends, now from Cyprus but without forgetting (how could I?) England.

Vamooooooooos!!!

Class on the pitch, and class off it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wish him well in Cyprus what a lovely place to run your career down and perhaps retire.

It really is on both counts. It's a country l know well, and somewhere that l have watched a lot of football over the years. The standard, as you would expect, isn't particularly brilliant, but the fans, as Andrea says, are absolutely awesome.

For a small island in the eastern Med, it's a great place to be a footie fan.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
One guy who I really wish was still playing for us. Total class on and off the pitch as we all now know.

Good luck Andrea and hope to see you in Brighton again one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here