Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mo Farrah the greatest ever British sportsman?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is the definition of being British?

Probably a mixture of place of birth, parentage, time assimilated, and somewhat open to opinion. As far as I am aware Mo was not born here, has no bloodline back to the UK, and has been here how long?

Still a bloody good (understatement) runner though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Probably a mixture of place of birth, parentage, time assimilated, and somewhat open to opinion. As far as I am aware Mo was not born here, has no bloodline back to the UK, and has been here how long?

Still a bloody good (understatement) runner though.

He moved to London when he was 8 I think.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Without doubt , dominating 2 events which was previously dominated by African athletes .( I also get the irony that mo was born there )

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
According to his website Mo came to the UK aged 8, which somewhat enhances his 'British' credentials.

By law and passport he may well be British, his running prowess is certainly African.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Tough call-

Sir Steve Redgrave for being top of his game, over such a long period -maybe just peaking, at right moments? still an oarsome effort. (sorry not sorry).

Daley Thompson - had to be better than good, in several sports, to win an Olympic decathlon gold medal.. TWICE.

Mo Farah - middle / ling distance running ain't easy. To win so many times, under intense competition. Amazeballs.

Feb 14, 2010
Athletics? Is that really sport with skill? Its endurance, training and natural ability to run but if running around made a sportsman then CMS would be half decent. Never interested in any of the Olympics sports except the 100 meters to see who is fastest person in the world. For a sport, there needs to be skill as far as I'm concerned and that rules out cycling, running, long jump, shot put and well most things that don't involve a ball. It also rules out most rugby players as well. We all know a sportsman, its people who can be good at anything, from football to table tennis to golf to cricket. Natural hand eye coordination and timing. So no, Mo F is a runner but not a gifted sportsman.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Joe,surely nationality has to first formost where you are born ?

not really. you become "naturalised", legally and cultrually if you are in a country long enough. if you look at Farah's history, father is born and raised in London (making Farah half British and eligiable by pretty much anyones standards), born in Somalia but barely lives there (moves to Djibouti early on), you can see how he adopts Britain as his nation.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The correct answer by a long way is Alfred Shrubb from Sussex by the Sea.

Alfred "Alfie" Shrubb (12 December 1879 – 23 April 1964) was an English middle and long distance runner. During an amateur career lasting from 1899 to 1905 (when he was barred from amateur competition for receiving payment for running) and a professional career from 1905 to 1912 he won over 1,000 races of about 1,800 started. At the peak of his career he was virtually unbeatable at distances up to 15 miles, often racing against relay teams so that the race would be more competitive. On 4 November 1904, at Ibrox Park, Glasgow, he broke the one hour run record as well as all amateur records from six to eleven miles, and all professional records from eight to eleven miles, running eleven miles, 1137 yards (18.742 km) in one hour. Altogether he set 28 world records.[3]

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Its amazing few knew Farrah before 2012. IMO he is already the greatest British athlete of all time. Should be repeat the 5000 / 1000m in Rio, then I think its increasingly hard to argue he isn't Britain's greatest sportsman ever.

Wiggins, Botham and Redgrave are all complete legends but all are in sports that only a few nations compete in, you can't say that about athletics

Very good point! But 3 legends

Feb 14, 2010
Very good point! But 3 legends

Not sure I follow about Botham. How many people do you know have ever joined an athletics club? I dont know anybody. More people play cricket globalyy than ever run the whatever distance Mo runs. (Im not saying that to support Botham as if you ask me, he wasnt that great against good bowling.) But athletics? Are we sure? Running doesnt make a sportsman, skill does.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Redgrave, Bannister, Coe, Thompson and many others. Mo is very, very good, but he is not British, he runs under a British flag, end of discussion.

100% British!!!! His whole running life since school has been in Britian, come over when he was 9 I think, his PE teacher saw his potential playing football in the playground. We are a wonderful brilliant multi cultural country build on acceptance of all creeds.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone who has not turned up for a NSC Hove Parkrun Challenge cannot be a legend. Maybe he is scared of failing the the test of copious amounts of beer and wine the night before. September the 5th Mo. See you by the climbing frame to take @Bignuts record.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i dont know the reasons for training in Oregon, but it certainly isnt warm weather, its temperatures are pretty similar to ours.

Have you ever seen that facility in Oregon? Have a look at it, then tell me where in England there is an equivalent.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone who has not turned up for a NSC Hove Parkrun Challenge cannot be a legend. Maybe he is scared of failing the the test of copious amounts of beer and wine the night before. September the 5th Mo. See you by the climbing frame to take @Bignuts record.

It's your record knocky1 but my aim is to beat your 19:33 record Saturday. As for Mo what a sportsman, ambassador, and general all round legend. I agree he probably needs a World Record or to win a big marathon event to cement his legacy.

Aside from that he's more than welcome to join us at the Hove Park climbing. He may have the speed in the last few hundred metres but can he take the dreaded Hove Park hill by the kids playground for a second time? I think I could break him psychologically but I don't want to diminish our Rio medal hopes so I would probably let him pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here