Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone still upset over team selection midweek....?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And people don't get it when i say we have become arrogant:facepalm:

Not arrogance whatsoever, don't patronise me.

I understand why you read it that way (was pondering how to write it without coming across like that), but really- if this was fifteen years ago & we were still straggling around at the arse end of the entire League, playing at Withdean or the Pissfield, with little hope of escaping any time soon, then yes. I'd be ecstatic about the prospect of playing Chelsea.

As it is, I'm fairly "meh" about it, and I say that having been to both League Cup ties this season. Alright, I guess Chelsea is more enticing than Burton, or Stoke, or Reading, say. But not enough to make me frustrated about not winning that tie. FA Cup, maybe I'd have been slightly more so, though even then I'm not sure why. Walsall outplayed us, in the second half, and they deserve their moment. I don't begrudge them that- or feel pissed at Hughton- for a single second.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Couldn't care less about a league cup game against Chelsea: we're not some little fourth division side who desperately needs the money and/or media attention. I would far rather have won today, it means so much more

There's nothing anyone can do to convince me that each victory was mutually exclusive of the other.

Besides, any angst I have, and there's not much of it, has nothing to do with Chelsea in the next round, more that a strong Championship side has a great chance of progressing to the latter stages of this tournament, and we threw that opportunity away. None of us will get to see our club play at Wembley very often, and it grates a tad when one of those chances, regardless of how slim, gets so readily discarded.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's nothing anyone can do to convince me that each victory was mutually exclusive of the other.

Besides, any angst I have, and there's not much of it, has nothing to do with Chelsea in the next round, more that a strong Championship side has a great chance of progressing to the latter stages of this tournament, and we threw that opportunity away. None of us will get to see our club play at Wembley very often, and it grates a tad when one of those chances, regardless of how slim, gets so readily discarded.

World of opinions, isn't it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not either/or. We could have had both.

It's not all about money and media attention though. When we look back at the 2008/09 season, we tend to think of the penalty shoot out win v man city. We don't remember how much money it brought us, or what the press said. We remember the elation, and the joy, we remember the on pitch celebrations (one in particular). Despite top prem sides not taking domestic cup competitions as seriously as in the past, the competitions can still provide lifelong memories.

I also remember getting mullered in the very next round, falling rapidly into the relegation zone. Any win over Man City was far overshadowed by the Great Escape that season.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
well last time we got promoted to the top flight,we lost to Forest in the 4th round of the League Cup

forest at the time were busy winning the league & european cups???

I understand why you read it that way (was pondering how to write it without coming across like that), but really- if this was fifteen years ago & we were still straggling around at the arse end of the entire League, playing at Withdean or the Pissfield, with little hope of escaping any time soon, then yes. I'd be ecstatic about the prospect of playing Chelsea.

As it is, I'm fairly "meh" about it, and I say that having been to both League Cup ties this season. Alright, I guess Chelsea is more enticing than Burton, or Stoke, or Reading, say. But not enough to make me frustrated about not winning that tie. FA Cup, maybe I'd have been slightly more so, though even then I'm not sure why. Walsall outplayed us, in the second half, and they deserve their moment. I don't begrudge them that- or feel pissed at Hughton- for a single second.

Should have pondered a little more,on the point of 4 division teams needing the money how many of them have lost £40 million over the last 4 seasons? Maybe if we had to sniff around the arse end of the league for a few years we might have a better perspective, But we are too good for that and we are prem bound because we have a super stadium! Looks like leeds/pompey will have to take a back seat as a big club is coming through:thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Should have pondered a little more,on the point of 4 division teams needing the money how many of them have lost £40 million over the last 4 seasons? Maybe if we had to sniff around the arse end of the league for a few years we might have a better perspective, But we are too good for that and we are prem bound because we have a super stadium! Looks like leeds/pompey will have to take a back seat as a big club is coming through:thumbsup:

None of which I've actually said, or implied. But you carry on making it up.

Wait, my mistake: a third round League Cup tie against Chelsea would clear our debts in a heartbeat, of course it would.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
None of which I've actually said, or implied. But you carry on making it up.

Wait, my mistake: a third round League Cup tie against Chelsea would clear our debts in a heartbeat, of course it would.

edna, just leave it.
You are beginning to come over as a bit of a crabbie apple!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Walsall deserve ther moment???

who's taking the piss now?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact is, we had the squad to win at Walsall AND Ipswich - but chose not to use it.

I'd have taken 3 points today over a win last Tuesday all day long, that goes without saying. But you'll never convince me that we had to make a choice of either one or the other.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't the allocation of ball numbers have something to do with alphabetical order then? In which case, Brighton is a long way from Warsaw!

No - I think its the winner of the tie. The number would've been the same whether it was us or them who'd gone through.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Doesn't the allocation of ball numbers have something to do with alphabetical order then? In which case, Brighton is a long way from Warsaw!

Allow me to sink your theory.

However, as I've said above, it's not about playing Chelsea for me (I didn't bother with the last Arsenal Cup game for example) but more about diminishing our own chances of a decent Cup run. If anything the Chelsea draw makes me feel less bothered about this as the best chances of progressing involve getting drawn against weaker teams.

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 20.42.48.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here