Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
There's a massive difference between Armstrong doping for success in his sport and Maradona being a huge fan of the sniff. I don't like Maradona at all but to say he's not one of the worlds great players is just wrong. The hand of god incident, as bad as it was, doesn't mean he wasn't incredibly gifted.

thats unbelievable
you must be a different generation to me
a cheat is a cheat

EDIT
let me qualify that .......did you see him after he scored that goal in the world cup in the USA eyes like dinner plates and his own FA sent him home.
and once a cheat always a cheat

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
thats unbelievable
a cheat is a cheat

Yes he cheated. But that doesn't alter the fact he was a spectacularly gifted footballer. Whereas Armstrong's antics DO cast doubt over all of his achievements in the sport, a single handball incident does not.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
thats unbelievable
a cheat is a cheat

He was the greatest footballer I've ever watched. The hand of God thing was no worse than someone taking a dive for a penalty; it's just remembered as it was such a shocking bit of refereeing.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes he cheated. But that doesn't alter the fact he was a spectacularly gifted footballer. Whereas Armstrong's antics DO cast doubt over all of his achievements in the sport, a single handball incident does not.

re-read my quote
the handball was gamesmanship
he was definitely taking drugs while playing in the USA world cup .............the mans an absolute cheat

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He was the greatest footballer I've ever watched. The hand of God thing was no worse than someone taking a dive for a penalty; it's just remembered as it was such a shocking bit of refereeing.

FFS I am not talking about the handball I am talking about his drug taking

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As with all PED drugs cheat, nothing has ever been made that can turn an average athlete into a world beater.

Lancey-poohs was a very talented young cyclist, as Ben johnson was a runner, A-Rod a baseball player, Marion Jones, Marco Pantani and so on, and on, and on.

Would they have achieved everything they did clean? doubtful.
Would they have achieved a level of success? Quite probably.

But I think you're quite right to distinguish between PED's and recreational drug use.
The entire contents of Columbia isn't going to help you kick a ball straight!!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If an England player had scored the same goal, it would have been that was a bit cheeky, but we got away with it. Get in, who cares about those Argie whingers.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As with all PED drugs cheat, nothing has ever been made that can turn an average athlete into a world beater.

Lancey-poohs was a very talented young cyclist, as Ben johnson was a runner, A-Rod a baseball player, Marion Jones, Marco Pantani and so on, and on, and on.

Would they have achieved everything they did clean? doubtful.
Would they have achieved a level of success? Quite probably.

But I think you're quite right to distinguish between PED's and recreational drug use.
The entire contents of Columbia isn't going to help you kick a ball straight!!

do you want to tell me what maradonna was on in the game he played in the USA world cup (when he ran up to the TV camera with eyes like dinner plates) and was immediately sent home by the Argentinian FA

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
do you want to tell me what maradonna was on in the game he played in the USA world cup (when he ran up to the TV camera with eyes like dinner plates) and was immediately sent home by the Argentinian FA

Does it matter? He just scored an absolute screemer that no drug can help you score. Just pure talent.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
In USA 94 the "drug" was ephedrine. Was a common weight loss tablet up until about 10 years ago. No performance enhancing properties unless you think being on Speed is performance enhancing, which it isn't.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It was ephedrine, which is found in cold remedies. It's a stimulant and bidybuilders use it to help with rapid weight loss. Side effects include the aggression that Maradonna showed that game; although it's never been know to turn an average player into one of the most gifted players to have ever kicked a ball.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I really hope we can pull off one top draw striker tomorrow before the window closes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here