Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Calleri

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, none, but Maradona was bloody brilliant.

If there had been no Falklands War, if that handball had been against anyone else, nobody in England would remember it. He would simply be remembered as the fantastic, pretty much incomparable footballer that he was.

Cristiano Ronaldo is disliked by many (for that wink, for his diving over the years) but nobody questions that he is one of the greatest players ever to grace the planet. How anyone can deny that Maradona was also this defies belief.

We agree. Again.
Too much agreement is not a good thing in my book...
... perhaps we can disagree over some jazz in 12 days time?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure if this has beenentioned elsewhere but was news to me (from the Argus article pre Rotherham, 6 days ago:

'When, approaching the close of the transfer window, Barber travelled to Buenos Aires in pursuit of Jonathan Calleri and it became clear completing a deal for the Boca Juniors striker was bogged down by complications, the club was already in a position to swoop for Elvis Manu.'

I seem to remember we were still linked with this fella even after Manu had signed... Chances of us getting him in Jan? Must've been a real possibility of Barber did indeed fly out there..!?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure if this has beenentioned elsewhere but was news to me (from the Argus article pre Rotherham, 6 days ago:

'When, approaching the close of the transfer window, Barber travelled to Buenos Aires in pursuit of Jonathan Calleri and it became clear completing a deal for the Boca Juniors striker was bogged down by complications, the club was already in a position to swoop for Elvis Manu.'

I seem to remember we were still linked with this fella even after Manu had signed... Chances of us getting him in Jan? Must've been a real possibility of Barber did indeed fly out there..!?

Only problem being other clubs may be sniffing around. I've written this one off, although it would be a great bonus.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we keep the league position we're in through to January, we could still have a very good chance of getting him.

It's not just Calleri who'd find us an attractive proposition in January. I think we'd have the choice of a number of top class loans or permanent signings as players & their agents eye the possibility of joining a seemingly Premier League bound club. Exciting times.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We must improve our striking options in Jan otherwise i fear that will be our downfall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Some snivelly little bedwetting nimrod got all titsy with me when I asked 'Where's Barber'? when this story broke.

"oh do you think PB does all the transfers personally ... wah wah wah" or words to that effect.

PB was the only man to make such a massive deal happen, plus it's a statement of intent.
Is 'bogged down by complications' a roundabout way of saying 'it's batshite crazy out here, there are 57 people who say they 'own' JC'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Can't see how this can happen, but we do need more options to score goals if promotion is to happen

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only problem being other clubs may be sniffing around. I've written this one off, although it would be a great bonus.

Fair play, and there was talk of him going to Milan in January, but if we're in the top few then, we might force him to reconsider.
Decent strikers are few and far between these days, so this looks like an amazing signing. Given that, I suspect he'll be off to a bigger club, or he's not quite as good as we hope/expect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair play, and there was talk of him going to Milan in January, but if we're in the top few then, we might force him to reconsider.
Decent strikers are few and far between these days, so this looks like an amazing signing. Given that, I suspect he'll be off to a bigger club, or he's not quite as good as we hope/expect.

It all depends on how desperate he is to get to Europe.
I'd hazard a guess the answer to that is very.
Therefore being the only club standing their with a cheque book & pen (one for the kidz) and able to wade through the 'complications' could be very advantageous.

It's hard not to think though, if IF he did arrive in January, he'll be gone by June.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

According to someone at the club, the deal with Inter has already been agreed. I did take it that he was going to sign for them in August though so not sure if that means they've agreed a deal for January or maybe it fell through at the last minute...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
According to someone at the club, the deal with Inter has already been agreed. I did take it that he was going to sign for them in August though so not sure if that means they've agreed a deal for January or maybe it fell through at the last minute...

The Inter deal fell through at the last minute.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here