Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Those people trapped in Hungary want to go to Germany. Hungary is wanting to put them into camps.

Notwithstanding the personal tragedy of having to flee to camps in the first instance to flee war and deprivation, how else could you consider assessing status of an applying refugee.

How else do you feel Europe should deal with over 20 million refugees and umpteenth million economic migrants, you cannot just give free passage to anyone claiming to be one, it is unstabilising, dangerous and unsustainable.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Whilst not wanting to push the issue away from the UK [I do agree we need to do more to help] there are plenty of Cities in Spain that were built during the building boom that has plenty of scope to accommodate large numbers of people.

An example being Ciudad Valdeluz, a town with 30,000 properties and infrastructure already there, however currently sitting unoccupied. Surely with the help of European nations we would be able to accommodate some refugees there. They would be able to remain within their communities and have schooling run by their teachers, surgeries run by their doctors etc. this is as opposed to being split up and sent to towns all across Europe.

N.B I know this is not a perfect solution and not one which would solve the whole issue.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
refugees_welcome.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Notwithstanding the personal tragedy of having to flee to camps in the first instance to flee war and deprivation, how else could you consider assessing status of an applying refugee.

How else do you feel Europe should deal with over 20 million refugees and umpteenth million economic migrants, you cannot just give free passage to anyone claiming to be one, it is unstabilising, dangerous and unsustainable.

I think the leaders of Europe should get together and discuss how the refugees can be processed quickly and distributed fairly according to each countries' ability.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Not just on here, but everywhere. I pointed out that fact earlier, you only have to look at this thread title. Point is that yes our borders need tightening especially to illegal non EU migrants and also correct measured Asylum granted, but not to those illegally crossing into Europe but those too poor and to weak to escape further than Turkey.
But Turkey is a wealthy stable country... why would they need to go further....Turkey is huge,it has a mature secular system. .... surely they have what they want, plus are living close to their home country for when/if it becomes viable to return.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the leaders of Europe should get together and discuss how the refugees can be processed quickly and distributed fairly according to each countries' ability.

But there is over 20 million probably 30 million refugees and probably another 10 million wishing to come here as economic migrants..................... Europe cannot absorb that much.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Some of those people already had train tickets paid for, but were refused permission to get on the train. One train set off and has been halted. There is a lot more to this than just sticking people in a camp and processing them.

Yes, I wonder what is at stake here. The Hungarians say they are sticking to the rules, and they need to be processed. They will know that heart-breaking scenes in front of the world's media will rebound on them, so why are they doing it? Afterall, it would be so much easier for them simply to turn a blind eye and let them all through - presumably this is what other countries have done for them to be in Hungary in the first place! Perhaps they are just making a point to her ladyship who must be obeyed, who decided to throw open the doors with what looks like precious little consultation and thought as to what she has created. I am in no way an expert on the ins and outs of the EU rules, but it does seem as if the Hungarians are being very principled. Can anyone advise on this?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Ok, fair point and I assume that realistically we have no choice but to take those currently in Europe. With a continent the size of Europe, I imagine that they probably could be absorbed of sorts if there is a will. The question of course is whether they should be absorbed. For this year, that is probably academic. And this meeting will of course be an annual event - there cannot be anyone so naïve to assume that this one meeting will be the end of it. Once the message gets through in the Arab/Third World and the numbers become overwhelming -and would you bet against that - then those lovely kind people will not be waving their placards.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No I'm not....I was attempting to illustrate the hypocrisy that often exists on here....one minute captivating the authorities for not doing enough at the borders, the next calling them out for taking a hardline approach...

for whats its worth I agree with dave take those who have already been processed in Turkey and the middle east.
some checks really must be made on those spilling into Europe, mostly young men.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Yes, I wonder what is at stake here. The Hungarians say they are sticking to the rules, and they need to be processed. They will know that heart-breaking scenes in front of the world's media will rebound on them, so why are they doing it? Afterall, it would be so much easier for them simply to turn a blind eye and let them all through - presumably this is what other countries have done for them to be in Hungary in the first place! Perhaps they are just making a point to her ladyship who must be obeyed, who decided to throw open the doors with what looks like precious little consultation and thought as to what she has created. I am in no way an expert on the ins and outs of the EU rules, but it does seem as if the Hungarians are being very principled. Can anyone advise on this?

I agree with you , thank god for the Hungarians else there would be carnage in Europe before long , a lot worse than it is now . I would be pissed off if I was German to be honest and I am sure many are ! We are European with law's and authority , the refugee's have to respect that and I am sure the genuine ones do .

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Some of those people already had train tickets paid for, but were refused permission to get on the train. One train set off and has been halted. There is a lot more to this than just sticking people in a camp and processing them.

Most hadn't paid and they stormed the train and didn't even know the destination. Mostly young men.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most hadn't paid and they stormed the train and didn't even know the destination. Mostly young men.

The ones I saw on tv were families with tickets in their hands. I don't know the full situation, but can only comment on the news report that I had seen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree with you , thank god for the Hungarians else there would be carnage in Europe before long , a lot worse than it is now . I would be pissed off if I was German to be honest and I am sure many are ! We are European with law's and authority , the refugee's have to respect that and I am sure the genuine ones do .

Far from it. The Germans are doing all they can to welcome them.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-for-refugees-arriving-by-train-10481522.html
Police in a German city have been forced to ask the public to stop bringing donations for arriving refugees after being inundated with food, clothes and toys in an overwhelming show of support.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The ones I saw on tv were families with tickets in their hands. I don't know the full situation, but can only comment on the news report that I had seen.

The BBC report where the police cordons were removed and there was a huge scramble for the train which they falsely thought was going to Germany. There was a stampede. Again mostly young men, hardly any families. but this isn't about who bought a ticket. It's about if you are a geniune asylum seeker you will go to a camp from now on to be processed legally.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Let these people in. They need help fleeing from war and conflict.

If you are saying let these people into the UK, are you doing a Merkel and saying if you can get yourself all the way from Syria to our borders we will automatically grant Asylum or do you have another plan.?

The people smugglers are anxiously awaiting your decision.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

So when the democratically elected PMs of Slovakia and Hungary say they dont want any muslims, how will this "fairness" work?

Like it or not, they are acting with an eye on their domestic political position.

Maybe Merkel should send in the German Army to occupy those countries and force them to understand what tolerance means..........what do you think?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So when the democratically elected PMs of Slovakia and Hungary say they dont want any muslims, how will this "fairness" work?

Like it or not, they are acting with an eye on their domestic political position.

Maybe Merkel should send in the German Army to occupy those countries and force them to understand what tolerance means..........what do you think?
they have done that once before have they not ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here