Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
As an aside the Frau's fee-paying International school are taking on refugee students for free.

Fair play to them!

It's hard not to be overwhelmed with admiration for the Icelanders; I know nothing about Iceland but it must be a great place with such people living there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play to them!

It's hard not to be overwhelmed with admiration for the Icelanders; I know nothing about Iceland but it must be a great place with such people living there.

Agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The European "shirkers"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 107

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Really, are you that naive really.

From what I have heard it was a facebook petition thing, which has no real consequence of ever having an unknown Syrian or any other refugee or person ever coming to stay.

Its not a bad sentiment, but for you to take it with anything other than a massive pinch of salt shows an absolute blindspot.

Some perspective, here in the UK a similar petition had over 700 000 signature to save Jeremy Clarkson from leaving Top Gear.

These petitions do not represent a nations goodwill, political will or any real level of compassion, its a campaign that takes a click of a mouse without any real consequence.

Lighten up, your not more compassionate, the Icelanders have not earned anyones admiration, it was facebook, bloody facebook.

D

Deleted member 22389

From what I have heard it was a facebook petition thing, which has no real consequence of ever having an unknown Syrian or any other refugee or person ever coming to stay.

Its not a bad sentiment, but for you to take it with anything other than a massive pinch of salt shows an absolute blindspot.

Some perspective, here in the UK a similar petition had over 700 000 signature to save Jeremy Clarkson from leaving Top Gear.

These petitions do not represent a nations goodwill, political will or any real level of compassion, its a campaign that takes a click of a mouse without any real consequence.

Lighten up, your not more compassionate, the Icelanders have not earned anyones admiration, it was facebook, bloody facebook.

I think AM has bitten off more than she can chew on this one, what is she expecting every single country in the EU to rollover and accept people. We are about to witness the biggest migration of people to the EU in our lifetime, things we have spoken about for years. 800,000 people to Germany, will be more like 2,000,000 and so the numbers will keep rising. If the EU can't even work out the difference between a genuine Asylum Seeker or Economic Migrant or control the borders effectively, then I fear for the EU and it's future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11836310/EU-migration-crisis-live.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fair play to them!

Smashing in summer (I went there a few weeks ago) but cold and dark all winter (all day). And a burger costs about 20 quid. Peopla are very nice though.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The European "shirkers"

Don't give me that. I am sure that as a chap who writes very articulately, you do not read Bild. It is a rag and you know it, so don't lecture us when it just happens to show something that appeals to you. Under other circumstances you would not doubt urge caution, if I ever quoted from Bild to you.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I must admit that I had missed that. My initial thoughts that their altruism was to be commended and that all those numbers had genuinely signed up at their local council, all ready to receive immigrants with open arms in the next few weeks. Doubtless some will mean it, but it is all too easy to make yourself sound good when you have the anonymity of the internet to protect you. In any community when the chips are down, folk will always say that they will help, but often it is the willing minority willing to inconvenience themselves. Lets assume that some will indeed go ahead and house immigrants, and then compare their altruism with the nauseating spectacle of our usual experts from abroad using the Icelander's generosity to heap all sorts of hypocritical praise in a dig at British people reluctant to follow suit, when they themselves have no intention either.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think AM has bitten off more than she can chew on this one, what is she expecting every single country in the EU to rollover and accept people. We are about to witness the biggest migration of people to the EU in our lifetime, things we have spoken about for years. 800,000 people to Germany, will be more like 2,000,000 and so the numbers will keep rising. If the EU can't even work out the difference between a genuine Asylum Seeker or Economic Migrant or control the borders effectively, then I fear for the EU and it's future.

Much as I love going to Germany and much that I enjoyed my time over there, they do tend to put their big size twelve in things, and, whilst her sentiments and sincerity are to be applauded, other countries are not so keen, or wealthy. The Germans do tend to go "head down and lets go for it" whereas at times they could be rather more patient. Yes, I fully understand that kids are drowning etc etc, and they are trying to help, but going it alone like this, boasting about a certain figure, and then looking round implying that others are shirking, and how morally superior they are, is hardly likely to encourage European co-operation. It also plays into the hands of those eager for the UK to leave the EU.
Last night I flicked through the German channels and it was far from a bed of roses, with local Gemeinde (parishes) swamped, local Government pleading for cash, and migrants complaining about German bureaucracy being so slow. How dare they be so slow! German TV concentrates on the good work done by individuals - fair enough - but rarely do you hear of dissent, other than to report on right-wing extremists. That your average Joe, or rather Hans, might feel uneasy -well you rarely hear this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The European "shirkers"

i wonder did they also cover the story about a european leader suggesting the suspension of Schengen agreement? which leader was that now?

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Smashing in summer (I went there a few weeks ago) but cold and dark all winter (all day). And a burger costs about 20 quid. Peopla are very nice though.

I don't mind darkness and cold--winter is my favourite season, but if everything is as expensive there as the burgers then I'd rather go some place cheaper (like Monaco for example). :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't give me that. I am sure that as a chap who writes very articulately, you do not read Bild. It is a rag and you know it, so don't lecture us when it just happens to show something that appeals to you. Under other circumstances you would not doubt urge caution, if I ever quoted from Bild to you.

It's a fair cop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i wonder did they also cover the story about a european leader suggesting the suspension of Schengen agreement? which leader was that now?

I only saw the cover. I don't read that trash.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Immigrants walking on the roof of Eurostar, one lady says they were tapping the window to be let in
your fence ain't a lot of good Dave, and when you said the immigrants would be down to tens of thousands did you mean the illegal ones.
if you cut the Border Force down thats what you get

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and the UAE, i believe these countries are virtually 100% Muslim yet to my knowledge they have a zero intake of refugees...and these countries are stinking rich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here