Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Chris Hughton do the right thing with his Walsall team selection?

Did Chris Hughton do the right thing with his Walsall team selection?

• Yes he did.

Votes: 111 59.7%
  • No he didn't.

Votes: 75 40.3%

• Total voters

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Team selection also includes when to make substitutions and they were woefully late.

As for the penalties, it seemed that the team decided whoever was brought down, took the penalty, so we can't really blame the manager for that.

CH does seem to leave his subs late. On Saturday Hemed should have come off ten minutes earlier than he did. But I'd disagree that team selection includes when to make substitutions though, that's game management. Team selection is what you pick for the whistle blows, game management is how you react to the changing conditions. For me Hughton could have made the subs earlier, but that, and his selection, were not the reason we lost. Our striker missed a penalty at a crucial time and we were caught on the break by a team that's high on confidence.

If that second penalty had gone in, we'd more than likely have won the match, it was a bit of bad luck. The team we put out were capable of beating Walsall, it just transpired that on this occasion we didn't.

The toys being thrown out of the pram by many on here is cringeworthy to be honest.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
CH does seem to leave his subs late. On Saturday Hemed should have come off ten minutes earlier than he did. But I'd disagree that team selection includes when to make substitutions though, that's game management. Team selection is what you pick for the whistle blows, game management is how you react to the changing conditions. For me Hughton could have made the subs earlier, but that, and his selection, were not the reason we lost. Our striker missed a penalty at a crucial time and we were caught on the break by a team that's high on confidence.

If that second penalty had gone in, we'd more than likely have won the match, it was a bit of bad luck. The team we put out were capable of beating Walsall, it just transpired that on this occasion we didn't.

The toys being thrown out of the pram by many on here is cringeworthy to be honest.

I think subs should be on at 66 minutes in League games to change the game.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its saddens me to say but yes. One focus this year. And it was a chance for others in the squad to show where they are

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We lost, so he got in wrong. Simple. We should be looking to win every game.

By this theory, every time we lose - regardless of the opposition - it's because the team selection was wrong. The surface, conditions, individuals form, refereeing decisions etc play no part in the outcome?

You're basically saying if COG had scored his penalty, and we had won, then CH "got it right". Yet, because COG missed his penalty (something CH can go nothing about) CH got it wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree, Hughton is often late with his subs.Surely though they should be able to designate the best penalty taker for each match to take them if they come up. FWIW both penalties were dives anyway IMO

I'll disagree with you about the penalties. COG's was right in front of me.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
By this theory, every time we lose - regardless of the opposition - it's because the team selection was wrong. The surface, conditions, individuals form, refereeing decisions etc play no part in the outcome?

You're basically saying if COG had scored his penalty, and we had won, then CH "got it right". Yet, because COG missed his penalty (something CH can go nothing about) CH got it wrong.

If we hadn't been awarded penalties, we wouldn't have scored anything. Walsall's keeper didn't have to make a save all evening.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If we hadn't been awarded penalties, we wouldn't have scored anything. Walsall's keeper didn't have to make a save all evening.

And what's to say when we were fouled in the penalty area we weren't about to score? Surely by the very fact we were in the penalty area we had created (or were about to create) a goalscoring opportunity?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And what's to say when we were fouled in the penalty area we weren't about to score? Surely by the very fact we were in the penalty area we had created (or were about to create) a goalscoring opportunity?

Both players were brought down in the penalty area but they weren't in goal scoring positions at the time. I was there to see it for myself.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Fatuous thing to say when there are those that do. Some of us even on here.

It`s true though.
I used to love the League Cup but nowadays I pray we get an away draw as it saves me the decision of whether to bother buying a home ticket.
If we had gone through to play Chelsea I wouldn`t have gone , when I was younger I never missed home games.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think absolutely.

All the players that started want to prove they're good enough to start in a Championship game, therefore a team at the top end of League One is a very good test for them.

The only thing I would've done differently is getting the 3 first teamers from the bench on at 60-odd minutes, and not waiting so late. 30 mins game time is not going tire them out, and obvious less chance of injury with them not being on for too long.

Because 10 changes were made I don't see this affecting our league momentum whatsoever.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
To those that do care then great, each to their own.
Can`t be bothered to check the stats but how many clubs played a full strength side in round 2 ?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

If CH makes wholesale changes to the team, against a team that we could/should be beating, and we lose, then yes, CH has got it wrong. Regardless if this is a league or cup game.

"If COG had scored" is just nonsense. 'IF' Hemed/Baldock were on the pitch, they (probably) would have scored.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
By this theory, every time we lose - regardless of the opposition - it's because the team selection was wrong.

No. Only when we all have a collective sigh of resignation when we hear the team selection, and think "we'll be lucky to win now." That's BEFORE the game kicked off, and NOT (as suggested earlier in this thread) the benefit of hindsight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

And if we lost every game for the next 3 years, we'd end up in the Conference. Top logic!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Because 10 changes were made I don't see this affecting our league momentum whatsoever.

I thought the same when we changed half the team in the League Cup against Liverpool a few years ago, and lost 2-1. No disgrace in that result at all, or the performance, but momentum is a tricky little companion who can vanish in a moment and then be rather elusive. I think we took nearly 2 months to win another game after that Liverpool defeat.

Btw, my memory is not what it was, so I now half expect you to say "you idiot, we won again 3 weeks later". It certainly felt like the air had been taken out of our sails and it seemed to last for ages.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Easy decision for me -YES

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here