Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Sport

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

They said it was free, then decide to charge everyone 5 pounds for the basic package. It might be a good deal, but its the principal for me. I have been a BT customer for 36 years, I might actually cancel everything now. BT have lost my trust. I bet I'm not the only one either. I didn't receive any emails or written confirmation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They said it was free, then decide to charge everyone 5 pounds for the basic package. It might be a good deal, but its the principal for me. I have been a BT customer for 36 years, I might actually cancel everything now. BT have lost my trust. I bet I'm not the only one either. I didn't receive any emails or written confirmation.

You could cause them some real pain if you like. Assuming you pay via direct debit, when the payment goes out dispute it via your bank saying that you never authorised the extra £5 and so want the DD refunded under the DD guarantee. That will cost BT money and they won't be able to prove you signed up to the extra cost because you didn't. Watch how quick they phone you.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
A sneaky business policy - opt out should always be the default, not opt in. Thankfully I'm not with BT but if I'd been charged I'd be demanding the money back - a business can't automatically opt you into a new contract without you agreeing.

I'd love you to be right WS but currently having said argument with the RAC who do a rolling contract (which this also maybe) on their breakdown service. Like you suggest I've told them to stick it as I never agreed but reading up on money expert etc it seems they may have a claim.
As you say a sneaky business policy but one that is used on many sign ups these days.

D

Deleted member 22389

You could cause them some real pain if you like. Assuming you pay via direct debit, when the payment goes out dispute it via your bank saying that you never authorised the extra £5 and so want the DD refunded under the DD guarantee. That will cost BT money and they won't be able to prove you signed up to the extra cost because you didn't. Watch how quick they phone you.

I already cancelled it first thing this morning.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was pissed off when I saw my bill for this month, decided to downgrade to the 'lite' pack as I don't tend to use BT Sport that much as I don't have their TV package so it's only on the iPad.
Thankfully you can downgrade online, though it's not immediately clear how to. Sticking with the 'free' BT Sport 1...until they decide to charge for that too.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not a very shrewd move to opt customers in automatically but they did make this known a while back. I had a letter about it saying that it would be £5 a month for the European football or free if I took out a new contract. As I've been happy with service overall since ditching Sky, I did that. Just pay per view for Sky games now as I'm usually working when they're on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd love you to be right WS but currently having said argument with the RAC who do a rolling contract (which this also maybe) on their breakdown service. Like you suggest I've told them to stick it as I never agreed but reading up on money expert etc it seems they may have a claim.
As you say a sneaky business policy but one that is used on many sign ups these days.

Your example of the RAC rolling contract is a little different - you've agreed to a rolling contract for a particular service. The RAC can't automatically add something to your contract, let's say European cover, and then charge you at rollover time without your authorisation. They have changed the contract and under UK law you have to be able to 'consider' the new contract and then accept it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
That sounds logical WS - trouble is all these sign ups know that in a year you will forget you have to cancel and can take your money before you realise it!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On the subject of such things, does anyone know if Sky Sports News is still available free if I cancel Sky Sports? I'm with Virgin at the moment and am seriously considering cancelling Sky Sports, but would still like to keep hold of SSN,

albionite

May 20, 2009
On the subject of such things, does anyone know if Sky Sports News is still available free if I cancel Sky Sports? I'm with Virgin at the moment and am seriously considering cancelling Sky Sports, but would still like to keep hold of SSN,

Yep still get it.

albionite

May 20, 2009
That's weird. I only have the entertainment pack from sky and sky sports news is unavailable.

I have entertainment plus and still get sky sports news. Not sure why any one still gets sky sports plenty of aps and Internet boxes like the mx8 where you can watch it for free :whistle:

Correction didn't notice he said Virgin. Think they removed that a few years ago for free

Edit. Reading up on it you should still get on Virgin unless you're on their lowest package.

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They have Premier League, Champions League, the odd PBC boxing card from Al Haymon plus you get ESPN and the American sports if your interested in that.

I think its great value if like me you get it with your BT Broadban, all that for £5 if OK with me.
This.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Correction didn't notice he said Virgin. Think they removed that a few years ago for free

Edit. Reading up on it you should still get on Virgin unless you're on their lowest package.
Nope, you get it on the lowest package too (at least I do).

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

albionite

May 20, 2009
Just noticed I've been charged for Bt Sport when previously free.

I did manage to find this:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/bt-sport-customer-advice/

It says you can downgrade to BT lite sport for free if you have BT Broadband ( premier league games )

Rather than phoning to cancel/ downgrade you can downgrade to bt sport lite for free online:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...-sport/od-hub.html?s_cid=con_FURL_btsportlite

Yes but down grading starts the 12 month contract again. Such a sly underhanded company. So much for it being free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here