Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It would have been home to Chelsea

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think it would have been a big pay day, when you take into account the extra travel costs, stewards, policing etc. The big pay days are away to the big four where they get really large crowds. It would also be a mid week match thereby limiting a lot of our own fans who don't live in Sussex having difficulties getting there.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I don't hold with this I know we would have been given the same number but maybe the balls are thrown in slightly differently with Brighton in the draw and we get Stoke away...

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Its a shame we took the club took the attitude that it is a lesser game . this competition represents one of our best chances of getting to a final and a good day out for the fans , not to mention a pay day .

Hey ho :wozza:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's not the consequences of a game or whether the League/Carling/CocaCola/Tin Pot Cup is important - I do not like to see Brighton and Hove Albion lose ANY game..........although I have got used to it over 40 years.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
But they didn't win. CH got it wrong. The only hissy fit on here is those saying, "Oh, it doesn't matter, stop moaning, it's a good thing that we can concentrate on the league".
Trying to put a positive spin on last night ....... I don't like to say it, but it is distinctly licker-like.

I just think it's a massive overreaction, we've had an excellent start to the league campaign which I don't think even our most optimistic fans could have predicted... Most people seemed to concur with playing our 'reserve team' last night, presumably because they agree that first teamers could do with a break and this competition is far less important than the league. Now Hughton seems to be getting criticized solely because we would have drawn Chelsea, which is quite frankly ridiculous.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I genuinely don't care, the league is all I care about, not John Terry and the local Chelsea mongs who would have turned up

Would they have turned up? They're more used to watching "their" team on Sky than actually attending matches. Walking around in Sussex in a shirt which (probably wrongly) implies you're from West London is simply saying "Look at me, I'm a winner" rather than the "Look at you, you're a w*nker" which the rest of us are actually thinking.......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I love cup football. This year the Carling Cup has been dire.

2 terrible away ties drawn.

2 woeful performances.

I hope for better in FA Cup round 3.

It's not the consequences of a game or whether the League/Carling/CocaCola/Tin Pot Cup is important - I do not like to see Brighton and Hove Albion lose ANY game..........although I have got used to it over 40 years.

This! Burgess Hill managed to compete in a few cup competitions last season and nearly getting through the season undefeated in the league,probably on a smaller squad than the Albion and with the inconvenience of the players all having full time jobs! I know its difficult to compare but a winning mentality is the foundation of any great side/club.:wink:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Missing out on Chelsea, is it such a big deal?

To the club I suppose, you get prize money for winning last night, and the extra revenue from Chelsea at home would be a good thing, but as a fan have I missed out? I used to LOVE the cups, both of them, whether it was sunny FA Cup days, or under floodlights in midweek for the League Cup. But this modern knee jerk reaction of "resting players" regardless of whether they need a rest or not. 2nd game of the season, or 1 game away from an International Break, we still need the majority of the side "rested" do we?.

So seeing as it would have been absolutely no different vs Chelsea, what have I missed out on? A chance to see our reserves, and bench warmers get played off the park by Chelsea, and not even their stars, as they too would have been rested. Honestly, I'd have been no more than 50/50 about going to that game anyway.

It pains me to say it, as I've always been so excited by the cups, but the automatic resting of players has turned it into a Cup version of the old Combination League, and I rarely went to that, even when I could walk in for FREE.

The Cup competitions, while the media try to convince us otherwise, are a casualty of the modern game.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I don't hold with this I know we would have been given the same number but maybe the balls are thrown in slightly differently with Brighton in the draw and we get Stoke away...

Exactly, it's an utterly pointless thread. If we'd been in the hat we could have got absolutely any one of the teams in the draw and it probably wouldn't have been Chelsea, but how often do you hear it from fans of teams knocked out, looking at who their conquerors pulled out of the hat in the next round and saying "That could have been us" it's just fantasy, the only time you can say for sure that you would have drawn the team that your conquerors went on to get is if they had beaten your team in the semi final.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Meh, at least we won't have a stadium full of plastic wankers now
How many did Withdean hold ? How many times was it sold out ? Brighton are no different to Chelsea , just on a smaller scale.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Exactly, it's an utterly pointless thread. If we'd been in the hat we could have got absolutely any one of the teams in the draw and it probably wouldn't have been Chelsea, but how often do you hear it from fans of teams knocked out, looking at who their conquerors pulled out of the hat in the next round and saying "That could have been us" it's just fantasy, the only time you can say for sure that you would have drawn the team that your conquerors went on to get is if they had beaten your team in the semi final.

But Walsall/Brighton was ball 2 so how on earth does the result affect the draw? It doesn't. Had we won we would have played Chelsea.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
But Walsall/Brighton was ball 2 so how on earth does the result affect the draw? It doesn't. Had we won we would have played Chelsea.

As said before, by suggesting we got through (we didn't) you're rewriting history/changing history so by the same token the outcome of the draw would also be subject to change wouldn't it? COG scores the penalty and we go through and whoever was pulling the balls draws out Hull City for us in the next round.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Missing out on Chelsea, is it such a big deal?

To the club I suppose, you get prize money for winning last night, and the extra revenue from Chelsea at home would be a good thing, but as a fan have I missed out? I used to LOVE the cups, both of them, whether it was sunny FA Cup days, or under floodlights in midweek for the League Cup. But this modern knee jerk reaction of "resting players" regardless of whether they need a rest or not. 2nd game of the season, or 1 game away from an International Break, we still need the majority of the side "rested" do we?.

So seeing as it would have been absolutely no different vs Chelsea, what have I missed out on? A chance to see our reserves, and bench warmers get played off the park by Chelsea, and not even their stars, as they too would have been rested. Honestly, I'd have been no more than 50/50 about going to that game anyway.

It pains me to say it, as I've always been so excited by the cups, but the automatic resting of players has turned it into a Cup version of the old Combination League, and I rarely went to that, even when I could walk in for FREE.

The Cup competitions, while the media try to convince us otherwise, are a casualty of the modern game.

Personally, I would like to see the League Cup scrapped. What is the point of it when most of the bigger teams only play their reserves? Shocks are not even shocks, because everyone knows that the better team would have rested most of their best players.

All it does is add to fixture congestion. If it was scrapped, then hopefully the FA Cup would benefit as it would be the sole cup competition so maybe teams would take it a bit more seriously.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Also the time difference in announcing Walsall to announcing Brighton and Hove Albion would have marginally delayed the second ball being pulled, meaning in all likelihood it would have been a different ball anyway. Crazy how it actually works, think about the lottery.

End the thread.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
As said before, by suggesting we got through (we didn't) you're rewriting history/changing history so by the same token the outcome of the draw would also be subject to change wouldn't it? COG scores the penalty and we go through and whoever was pulling the balls draws out Hull City for us in the next round.

But how could our result have affected the draw? We were both going to be the same ball whoever won and ball 2 was going to play Chelsea.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All it does is add to fixture congestion.

Fight it Kevo, don't let them brainwash you. This is the nonsense spouted by the teams at the top of the Prem, the same teams who vanish off to tour Asia or Australia or America the moment the season ends. "Fixture congestion" is just some made-up rubbish by the managers who want an excuse to play the stiffs in a Cup competition. They will happily stick two fingers up to the FA and claim everyone is tired from too much football, but they fall into line and fly halfway round the World when their marketing men announce "we need more sales in Melbourne, so you are playing 3 games there at the end of May."

Strangely, the further down the leagues you go, the more fixtures pile up in the second half of the season (due to poorer pitches meaning more winter postponements) and the less they moan about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here