Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering - no water on the hottest day of the year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
so you've down voted this comment Guinness Boy, but essentially you're saying that Sodexo should check the weather forecast and prepare, so that you dont have to. you're defering responsibility for your subsistance to a catering company.

if you'd asked for tap water and been refused, you'd have a good point. as you didnt ask it makes this rant a bit of an odd one.

Have a read of post #33. When you've taken your head out of your ar$e that is.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I know after yesterdays air crash that this is just minor moans but I got charged £9.30 for a pint, hot food & crisps. I questioned this and the server had to come around to see the huge sign showing pint, hot food & crisps £9. He then asked a supervisor who came around to look at the sign. The supervisor told a manager who came around to look at the sign and after 5 minutes I got a refund. Only 30p but 1000 customers is £300 overcharge.

el punal

I understand your concern, but as stated it was common knowledge that it was going to be hot, why didn't you stock up with a bottle of water each before the game? Having said that it did get a bit steamy in WSU in the last half hour. Felt for the poor sods in the East stand.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
GB had every right to assume that the Amex would be selling water yesterday. They have every time i have been their, its in their commercial interest. Crazy they werent, even at kick off. And as a parent he sorted it out for his kid as he says.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I queued in the sauna that is WSU concourse at half time for a couple of bottles of water. Got to the front of the queue only to discover they had sold out. However, before I even had a chance to get into rant mode (and I was about to..), the very smiley young woman serving me immediately said "would you like some free tapwater instead?" and got me a couple of acceptably cold pints of tapwater.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I queued in the sauna that is WSU concourse at half time for a couple of bottles of water. Got to the front of the queue only to discover they had sold out. However, before I even had a chance to get into rant mode (and I was about to..), the very smiley young woman serving me immediately said "would you like some free tapwater instead?" and got me a couple of acceptably cold pints of tapwater.

Just before the match they didnt say this to my son. They said they had no water. Full stop. He ended up with two Osasi. But post match we were given tap water. Depends on the coaching managers have given the staff

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think this is no becoming the norm again, after the marketeers persuaded the masses to buy water

Yep, any non drinking mates or family when in restaurants or curry houses etc, ask for tap water, never a problem.
Basically if you do not take enough liquid to an event that is held on a scorching hot day........then ask for tap water........good enough for me as a child long before fancy "water".

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just before the match they didnt say this to my son. They said they had no water. Full stop. He ended up with two Osasi. But post match we were given tap water. Depends on the coaching managers have given the staff

Yes, I get the impression that Sodexho's business model is predicated on a fairly minimalist approach to staff training, which means that a lot depends on the common-sense and/or prior experience of the individual staff members themselves.

D

Deleted User X18H

This is sensational thread indeed . Of course yesterday's tragic events relating to people invloved in the Albion , this should pale into insignificance . My lad is 7 no way would leave the house on a day even 3 degrees lower than yesterday without sufficient fluid.
Can't help thinking how much of this is ammo for some sort of blog .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately the general public have been duped into buying water which is wrong on 2 fronts

1. It is not as pure as uk tap water.
2 It is very over priced.

It is usually a condition of most on licences that tap water is available. People should buycott buying water in pubs and restaurants and take up that option.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have a read of post #33. When you've taken your head out of your ar$e that is.

i certainly have after i posted, and dont see it changes your position much, still trying to defer responsibility to others. i accept you got caught short so to speak, but as you didnt even ask for tap water i cant see how you justify the rant.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Yes, I get the impression that Sodexho's business model is predicated on a fairly minimalist approach to staff training, which means that a lot depends on the common-sense and/or prior experience of the individual staff members themselves.

Kind of agree with this but also should bear in mind that it must be difficult to ensure training is consistent when the business is generally only open once every two weeks.

What about the 'common sense' of the customer. Why didn't the OP ask for tap water.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is sensational thread indeed . Of course yesterday's tragic events relating to people invloved in the Albion , this should pale into insignificance . My lad is 7 no way would leave the house on a day even 3 degrees lower than yesterday without sufficient fluid.
Can't help thinking how much of this is ammo for some sort of blog .

You no doubt mean 'sensationalist' Timmy, you illiterate goon. Your post is below the belt. OP already stated that he left home with water for his lad for the train journey. Perfectly reasonable to query the availability of drinking water at the stadium IMHO. As for your 'blog' comment, that's just weird. You really need to get out more, preferably somewhere far from a keyboard.

D

Deleted User X18H

You no doubt mean 'sensationalist' Timmy, you illiterate goon. Your post is below the belt. OP already posted that he left home with water for his lad for the train journey. Perfectly reasonable to query the availability of drinking water at the stadium IMHO. As for your 'blog' comment, that's just weird.
No I mean sensational. It's not at all sensationalist.
So you attend a football match with 20,000 other people on a very very very hot day.
You arrive at venue around 45 minutes of so prior to kick off . Along with these 20,000 or so others on this very very very hot day.

Which commodity will sell out first do you think?

1 Chips?
2 Scarves?
3 Water?

Choose the most likely before you leave home and take extra supplies of your choice with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here