Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering - no water on the hottest day of the year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes a moan. It might seem trivial given what happened at Shoreham and the fact that we are going from strength to strength on the pitch, but as far as I'm concerend the catering is far worse that it has been in the past. However, yesterday it caused me a genuine issue.

If I have to live without a half time pint or queue for five minutes to get my first one that's fine. I can go from 2pm to 6pm without eating as well, just as I do every other day of the week. However, when my eight year old son asks for a bottle of water because he's overheating I expect to be able to get one and yesterday I couldn't.

I queued at the North end of the WSU at half time to get a hot dog and water for him and they had neither. Missing out on the hot dog just meant the club had lost our on a very small amount of income but missing out on the water meant I couldn't cool him down, The middle kiosk didn't have any either, nor could I get some in the West Lower after the game (though there was plenty of left over food down there, the very opposite to the WSU).

Did no one at Sodexo check the weather forecast? Hmm, it's going to be a bit warm, maybe we should get some extra water in? It's not f***ing difficult, the same eight year old that couldn't be rehydrated can check it up on my smartphone. Not having water available in such heat is, to me, a serious breach of the club's health and safety responsibilities. If tap water is available in the kiosks then they most certainly didn't offer it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Surprised they didnt offer you tap water, bad form. My 15 yr old was given it in a plastic cup. I suspect they have to as you indicate

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Free tap water in pint pots were being handed out in the family stand yesterday as they said they had run out of bottled water. The system worked very well there I have to say.

Boring Goring

Jul 15, 2009
Goring
Service was good in the East Stand upper. Got a bottle of water for my wife prior to the game, and a couple of lads in front of me, asked for, and got served tap water at half time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It does pose the question if you ask for tap water even when they bottled water are they obliged to give it to you (as restaurants are)?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This may sound like an obvious question, but did you ask for tap water?
I saw someone near me drinking water from a plastic pint cup, this was in the WSU north end.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Loads of free water in plastic pint cups in the East Stand.

The elderly couple in front of me complained to a steward that they were too hot sat in the sun in the east stand. They got moved to a couple of seats in the shade at the back of the stand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I should add, because I know what NSC's like, that he doesn't like fizzy or sweet drinks (weird I know) and that, when I got back empty handed a friend shared out the remainder of his.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I thought a pint of foster's was close to being water.......

Joking aside I agree with you. Water should be readily available at all venues. Yesterday's temperatures made it a prerequisite. At the Test venues this summer very few had readily available water except the Oval that had a fountain tapped to London's finest water supply.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It does pose the question if you ask for tap water even when they bottled water are they obliged to give it to you (as restaurants are)?

During my brief spell as a barman, I seem to remember that this is the case for licensed premises - [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] may be able to confirm this. However, the chances are that the casual labour that serve the kiosks may not have been fully aware of their obligations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
This may sound like an obvious question, but did you ask for tap water?
I saw someone near me drinking water from a plastic pint cup, this was in the WSU north end.

Loads of free water in plastic pint cups in the East Stand.

The elderly couple in front of me complained to a steward that they were too hot sat in the sun in the east stand. They got moved to a couple of seats in the shade at the back of the stand.

No and I'm feeling like a plank because of it but I should have been offered it. It sounds like this was specific to my stand and server. In addition to not having any bottled water the kiosk I went to had no food. That's really poor stock management.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Yes a moan. It might seem trivial given what happened at Shoreham and the fact that we are going from strength to strength on the pitch, but as far as I'm concerend the catering is far worse that it has been in the past. However, yesterday it caused me a genuine issue.

If I have to live without a half time pint or queue for five minutes to get my first one that's fine. I can go from 2pm to 6pm without eating as well, just as I do every other day of the week. However, when my eight year old son asks for a bottle of water because he's overheating I expect to be able to get one and yesterday I couldn't.

I queued at the North end of the WSU at half time to get a hot dog and water for him and they had neither. Missing out on the hot dog just meant the club had lost our on a very small amount of income but missing out on the water meant I couldn't cool him down, The middle kiosk didn't have any either, nor could I get some in the West Lower after the game (though there was plenty of left over food down there, the very opposite to the WSU).

Did no one at Sodexo check the weather forecast? Hmm, it's going to be a bit warm, maybe we should get some extra water in? It's not f***ing difficult, the same eight year old that couldn't be rehydrated can check it up on my smartphone. Not having water available in such heat is, to me, a serious breach of the club's health and safety responsibilities. If tap water is available in the kiosks then they most certainly didn't offer it.

TAKE YOUR OWN, you are responsible for your nipper and you knew it was going to be hot.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Asked for a water, told they'd run out. Asked for a fanta, sorry none of that either. Oasis? Nope.

Still no offer of tap water but they did serve it when requested.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012

Yes. The government updated rules requiring establishments to have free tap water available wherever alcohol is sold, in an attempt to combat binge drinking. It comes with having a license to sell alcohol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The ESL have always had pints of tap on the go through August and early Sept.

That said I still too 3 litres of squash with me.
Amazingly at kick off there was still loads of available seats in the shaded corner area.
We sat there until our seats were no longer hotter than the sun, in the second half.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Asked for a water, told they'd run out. Asked for a fanta, sorry none of that either. Oasis? Nope.

Still no offer of tap water but they did serve it when requested.

How do you ask for 2 Oasis', 2 Oasis's, 2 Oasises or 2 Oasi?

I got caught in a 'loop of drivel', and didn't know what to say, as usual :lolol:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

I ask for tap water regularly. Not a problem most of the time. Strangely, you cannot take it back to your seat because of "litter" as a steward claimed, but you can take bottles of food to seat

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here