Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale today

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
And for me was it three or four one on ones he saved.

He had 2 one on ones to save , the first the Blackburn player touched the ball straight at Stockdale , the second was a good save with his legs . He had a good game today but Lua Lua was man of the match by a mile

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Stockdale man of the match definitely, kept us in with some great saves & good positional awareness to make blocks & catches. Thought Bruno had a pretty good game too.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
In the programme p40 Stockdale says "I've lost a lot of weight and I'm still trying to lose more". He's eating less, going out less & cut out the chocolate! Seems to have had a positive effect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it 'it's like having a new player' is just code for:-

'I gave him dogs abuse last season, because he didn't stop every single guilt edge chance the rest of the team offered up to the opposition'.

Stockdale was never as bad as NSC would have you believe. (now there's a phrase that I should copyright)
Sure he had some pretty desperate moments, but there's only so much any goalie can do when the rest of the team refuse to score.

His understudy who 'should have taken his jersey' has now let in 7 in his last 2 games.

As for being critical about DS not instantly returning possession to Blackburn when the Albion are 1-0 up, I guess that says it all.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Total agreement.
Why did the sponsors not give it to him? Clueless wine-drinking toffs!

You have to wonder if Jordan Rhodes had been on the end of one of those one-on-ones...

They always go or the scorers and yes Rhodes would probably have scored today so pleased he didn't play

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, best I've seen him for us. Delicate flowers, some players. Confidence issues . . . . .

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not been a real fan. But today was superb. Keep it up. Probably helps there is genuine competition and not some 18yr old and Casper.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Very impressed with him today. His two one on one saves enabled us to get the win. Well done Dave.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Just over a week ago a Fulham fan came on here with a list of questions for their website one of which included our thoughts on their former 'keeper, Stockdale. I eventually decided not to bother contributing to the thread however, I did have some thoughts.

These were based on last year performance and were thus: He is a very good goalie who although is prone to some stupid errors also makes some cracking saves...Especially one-on-ones. There were many times last season when a striker went through and I resigned myself to the chance being slotted away but for Stockdale to make a great block.

It has now got to the point where one-on-ones are easily the strongest part of his game and when a striker goes through I am pretty confident that Stockdale will come out on top.

However, despite how good he was today I would be reluctant to give him the "man-of-the-match" allocade. This is because giving any 'keeper that reward suggests he kept us in it due to being completely dominated. That was far from the case here and although they carved out a few chances which Stockdale dealt with their one dimensional football barely troubled us. This was a 1-0 win we saw out pretty comfortably.

After last season when Stockdale took a lot of stick I am genuinely pleased he is being recognised for the quality goalie he clearly is. I just wish the Ulloa style song he posted on Twitter just after he signed actually got used.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Having played in goal (hockey) to a reasonable level (nothing spectacular ) and my son is a youth goalkeeper - football. It did frustrate me last season when Stockdale was getting so much abuse. Yes he made some howlers at crucial times but the whole team were pretty dire. The pressure on the defence was immense last season due in part to our hopeless attempts in front of goal. Goalkeeping is generally misunderstood and not properly represented by commentators both in the media and inter net forums. The classic analysis of a keeper which annoys me is when "routine saves" are brushed over or fantastic positioning of the goalie that makes the striker miss is totally over looked. I am delighted that Stockdale is finally getting recognised. Yes he is also playing better so far this season and is also benefitting from the whole team improving.
Long may it continue!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thought that he was very good today the only critisicm was the times that their keepr took free kicks on the halfway line and a couple of times the bal went straight to DS when a long kick may have caught their keeper out and scored a goal. His punches were briliant and I amsure that working with Ben Roberst has had a great influence on him.

Just so I know: are you criticising our goalkeeper for not scoring enough goals?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think a lot of the views on Stockdale are quite narrow, both the positive and the negative (they'll be back!). What most people seem to agree on is that when he's good, he's very good but even when he's good, there's a risk he's going to do something stupid and cost us a goal. He gets beaten too easily at times (Tuesday night), but then will be fantastic in other games, like he was today. It's that lack of consistency which frustrates people, myself included.

It's not his fault, I'll always blame Michel Kuipers. Nobody will live up to that standard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here