Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't think that's really possible at shoreham is it?
They'd take off from Shoreham and have to designate a shoreline for spectators, really can't see it going ahead again

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Don't think that's really possible at shoreham is it?

My feeling is move it to Worthing with the airport supporting....you got a prom for the public and will be able to deliver a safe airshow ovef the sea like Bournemouth, Blackpool and Southport do very successfully

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Thing is with Airshows, they are great recruitment events for the British Forces...Shoreham supports Rafa which for an ex serviceman myself I'm all for

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Its hard to put into words the sheer horror of this terrible incident. Its more poignant as it happened so close to home with many local people having suffered losses through this awful tragedy. As the full horror unfolded, the football and other trivia seemed so unimportant. My rail journey home last evening was a nightmare. I had the double whammy of signalling problems at Lewes causing chaos plus a train from Victoria that arrived on platform one and decided to breakdown. Usually I would be spitting blood. Last evening I was totally 'meh' about it. It just didn't matter. Compared to those poor souls on the A27, it was trivia.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this awful tragedy.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Far too many accidents at airshows now, no way should they ever be held anywhere near a town, major road or railway again

Or harbour? Saw the Red Arrows display at Falmouth inner harbour a couple of weeks ago, and it made me think of the 1980 (?) accident at Brighton, when one clipped a yacht mast. I know they're not as close as these photos suggest, but there's no margin for error, and only a confined area for ditching. Last year, the display was at sea and we all watched happily from the beach.

EOS70D-20150812-2339.jpg EOS70D-20150812-2416.jpg

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Far too many accidents at airshows now, no way should they ever be held anywhere near a town, major road or railway again

I don't think you can justify this statement.

I have been attending Airshows since the 1960's all over the UK and never even seen an incident.

In that time I have driven by many (what I later found to be) fatal road accidents.

I would have thought there is more chance of a lightning strike than to be killed at an Airshow.

Sorry but google 'deaths at airshows' and then click in the Wikipedia link to see how many people die around the world at airshows.

Comparing to car accidents is absurd.

The last time I watched an 'air show' type of event in the area, I watched two red arrows collide and eject. Luckily they had the sense to do it over the sea rather than a major A road.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tragically it would appear there will be more fatalities once the wreckage of the jet is moved.

I suspect the figure has come around from people reported missing.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I know it,s of little comfort,but when is heard the news yesterday (just back from Llandudno) all i hope it is the situation that to those who have died 'they simply did not know what hit them'. R-i-P.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Tragically it would appear there will be more fatalities once the wreckage of the jet is moved.

I suspect the figure has come around from people reported missing.

I hope I'm wrong, but I felt from the news conference that they were sure about 11 but couldn't confirm as they hadn't been identified, but were pretty sure the number was going to go up from there. Really hope not this is bad enough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That would be the only logical way to do it now, but the desire to watch these events will be overshadowed by this for many years to come. I don't think the taste for it will be here locally in the short term.

Swiss air show accident today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/23/two-planes-crash-at-swiss-airshow-basel

i understand why you say that, but even next weekend you have the show just up the road at Dunsfold (I believe the Hunter was due to fly there), I'll be going, as will many more who accept that the risk is always there. Had Shoreham gone ahead today, it would have been packed, despite what's happened. People have an amazing ability to categorise things and get on with their own lives - You should have seen Shoreham pubs yesterday afternoon, it seems that many chose getting on it as an alternative to the airshow...... Not saying what's right and wrong, just reflecting on how people may respond.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
This event could easily be done next year with proceeds going to victims families but redone in a safe environment. Worthing could be done on a 2 day bigger scale with airshow held over the sea....maybe too early to be discussing this

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This event could easily be done next year with proceeds going to victims families but redone in a safe environment. Worthing could be done on a 2 day bigger scale with airshow held over the sea....maybe too early to be discussing this

The Adur Valley is safe enough for the large planes. With hindsight the jet should have been further north.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Far too early, let the people in charge try and establish at least how many poor people were caught up in it and at some later point try and establish what went wrong before we all pass judgment on what should happen in the future. At the moment it's a tragic accident that is still going to take many stressful hours for the people involved to try and identify victims and clear wreckage and that's where it should be left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here