Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia is the new boss at.......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I liked what he was trying to do. To change us from a cautious side into an attacking one was a mighty task using a patched up squad full of strangers, but I think he would have kept us up in the end. It always seemed to be individual errors that cost us points, not the tactics.

On a level I probably agree, although it's hard to see him as anything other than a beaten man.
It's not as if the team cruised clear of relegation under the guidance of a new manager, so not a huge margin for error.

Plus, assuming I'm right in thinking CH bought in Kayal, then that's all the justification needed to finally make the change.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Almost agree with that, his tactics would of worked with right players. Far too many mistakes cost us games when we was the better side( made it even more frustrating ). It was his refusal to change tactics when clearly it wasn't working

I don't think changing tactics would have helped. The players would have still made errors. Stockdale throwing staight to the opposition, coming off his line in a free kick he had no chance of claiming, Ince jumping out of the way in a free kick etc etc was nothing to do with tactics, it was the players poor judgment.

On a level I probably agree, although it's hard to see him as anything other than a beaten man.
It's not as if the team cruised clear of relegation under the guidance of a new manager, so not a huge margin for error.

Plus, assuming I'm right in thinking CH bought in Kayal, then that's all the justification needed to finally make the change.

He was beaten by the fans. Many wanted him gone after a month. I wouldn't change anything now with Kayal and the recent signings, but at the end of last season it was probably the worst football in years. With all the signings recently and the ones let go it helps me understand how crap a squad we had under both managers last season. I don't think either manager outshone the other.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I don't think changing tactics would have helped. The players would have still made errors. Stockdale throwing staight to the opposition, coming off his line in a free kick he had no chance of claiming, Ince jumping out of the way in a free kick etc etc was nothing to do with tactics, it was the players poor judgment.

He was beaten by the fans. Many wanted him gone after a month. I wouldn't change anything now with Kayal and the recent signings, but at the end of last season it was probably the worst football in years. With all the signings recently and the ones let go it helps me understand how crap a squad we had under both managers last season. I don't think either manager outshone the other.

He was beaten by winning one game in something like 20 games, instilling about as much confidence in the players as a rat pack in a trap factory and showing all the passion of sexy time between John Major and Edwina Currie. Sorry to break it to you.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
One of the worst managers we have had in recent years.
If we would've stayed with him, we would've been relegated.
Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He was beaten by winning one game in something like 20 games, instilling about as much confidence in the players as a rat pack in a trap factory and showing all the passion of sexy time between John Major and Edwina Currie. Sorry to break it to you.

The truth is he was dealt a dud hand with a ramshackle squad with six loanees, but don’t let that get in the way of your thought process.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Nice bloke but he took tactical ineptness to new levels. Totally clueless and zero ability to change shape to react to what was happening on the pitch. I feel tragically sorry for any fan who has him at the helm of their club,

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I liked what he was trying to do. To change us from a cautious side into an attacking one was a mighty task using a patched up squad full of strangers, but I think he would have kept us up in the end. It always seemed to be individual errors that cost us points, not the tactics.

And for here was the problem what were the tactics left back and right back so far up the field with no one dropping into cover time and time again we only had two at the back opersition wingers had huge open spaces to run into

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But his tactics were completely flawed given the personnel at his disposal. The idea of a slower central midfield player covering a full-back who has gone forward is, and remains ridiculous. I can still see Crofts getting outpaced at Brentford whilst Calderon was on the halfway line. JFC trying desperately to cover Bennett at home against Charlton utter nonsense.

Whilst there were unfortunate individual mistakes, his inability to recognise things weren't working, were taking us in one direction - relegation.

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
Just reading up on the FCZ forum, they are happy to have him but have reservations about his tactical ability, the fans aren't quite as enthusiastic as the media. In fact one of the fans on the forum invested 3 hours of time in researching Hyypia on NSC. Needless to say the threads weren't a glowing report. http://www.fczforum.ch/forum/topic16994-3806.html

Good Morning everyone.

I was that soldier! TBH it has traumatized me, and I even had a dream ( nightmare ) last night about Hyypia deciding to play with 9 outfield players, only 2 of which were allowed to defend.

There were a couple of more positive posters, symyjym being one of them. Haven't had time to check through all his posts to see if he is the forum nutter, but with my positive hat on I'm hoping that he is a highly intelligent individual, not blinded by minor details like 1 win in 18.

Sadly there were a few comments that hit the mark. I had to listen to a few youtube clips of Sami talking about Brighton games before the announcement that he was to be our new Manager, and it was like swallowing valium. A lot of valium. Although again with my positive hat on, I knew what to expect when he was revealed as our new Manager, and so didn't really listen to anything he was saying at the Press Conference.

Also, this pre-season FCZ have sold a lot of their best players already, and our owner has already said there will be no new signings, so no worries there that Sami will be blamed for what essentially the Board did ( like with your team ).

We have Luzern at home tonight, 8PM, and they are our current bogey team. Next up is a trip to FC Basel, who I guess you all have heard of. This does not bode well for his start here, although Sami doesn't officially take charge of the Club until the 31st August, after those two games, so if we get hammered twice it won't be Sami's fault, and if we win then it will be the positive influence that Sami's arrival has had on the team.

So, anything positive, apart from the fact that he is a top bloke, with a good character?

Oh, and Good Luck against Blackburn today.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Good luck to him as it just didn't work out here...At times it looked like we were making progress as we created a fair few chances,but just didn't work out.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Good Morning everyone.

I was that soldier! TBH it has traumatized me, and I even had a dream ( nightmare ) last night about Hyypia deciding to play with 9 outfield players, only 2 of which were allowed to defend.

There were a couple of more positive posters, symyjym being one of them. Haven't had time to check through all his posts to see if he is the forum nutter, but with my positive hat on I'm hoping that he is a highly intelligent individual, not blinded by minor details like 1 win in 18.

Sadly there were a few comments that hit the mark. I had to listen to a few youtube clips of Sami talking about Brighton games before the announcement that he was to be our new Manager, and it was like swallowing valium. A lot of valium. Although again with my positive hat on, I knew what to expect when he was revealed as our new Manager, and so didn't really listen to anything he was saying at the Press Conference.

Also, this pre-season FCZ have sold a lot of their best players already, and our owner has already said there will be no new signings, so no worries there that Sami will be blamed for what essentially the Board did ( like with your team ).

We have Luzern at home tonight, 8PM, and they are our current bogey team. Next up is a trip to FC Basel, who I guess you all have heard of. This does not bode well for his start here, although Sami doesn't officially take charge of the Club until the 31st August, after those two games, so if we get hammered twice it won't be Sami's fault, and if we win then it will be the positive influence that Sami's arrival has had on the team.

So, anything positive, apart from the fact that he is a top bloke, with a good character?

Oh, and Good Luck against Blackburn today.
He'll do a good job I'm sure....Our manager merry go round was relentless and to be fair hyypia never actually had a saying in getting players in and was just a puppet here.

Best of luck :)

albionite

May 20, 2009
He may of learnt his lesson from here and mix it up a little. He was single minded and the other teams worked us out pretty quick . Hopefully you have a good assistant manager

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
He'll do a good job I'm sure....Our manager merry go round was relentless and to be fair hyypia never actually had a saying in getting players in and was just a puppet here.

Best of luck :)

Yes, but that's the same scenario as with us at the moment.

Our Chairman and Owner controls the Club, has stated that there'll be no new transfers this summer, and we have a revolving-door policy as regards managers.

We're doomed!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think he'll do well for some reason and all you can do is see what happens...The pressure was very high here and doubt the pressure will be as high at fc Zurich :)
no need to panic me old mucker as he'll do well.

I'll be keeping an eye on your results :)

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
He may of learnt his lesson from here and mix it up a little. He was single minded and the other teams worked us out pretty quick . Hopefully you have a good assistant manager

OMG! We ( imho ) don't have a good assistant manager, and one of the criteria of Sami coming was that he had to come alone, and have to work with our training staff.
Also every team here in Switzerland has a sport chef, ( Director of Football, something like that ), but our Owner won't have that any more, after a disagreement with our last one, Freddie Bickel, who was shown the door and went to Young Boys.
Our Owner now does this job as well, but talks of this job in the 3rd person. His wife ( who has the money ) is the only one ( allegedly ) who has any sort of input other than him.

Just to give you an impression of them two.
He is a Napoleon-esque Character, she is a Witch!

Canepas and Hyypia.jpg

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
I think he'll do well for some reason and all you can do is see what happens...The pressure was very high here and doubt the pressure will be as high at fc Zurich :)
no need to panic me old mucker as he'll do well.

I'll be keeping an eye on your results :)
Well, the pressure is pretty high, actually.

Biggest city in Switzerland, FIFA HQ here, so some football interest, and of course all the money, so expectations are quite big.

Plus we have a rival in Grasshopper Club who we have to stay ahead of, and then there is the monster that is FC Basel, who everyone is extremely jealous of.

But yes, all we can do is wait and see.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well, the pressure is pretty high, actually.

Biggest city in Switzerland, FIFA HQ here, so some football interest, and of course all the money, so expectations are quite big.

Plus we have a rival in Grasshopper Club who we have to stay ahead of, and then there is the monster that is FC Basel, who everyone is extremely jealous of.

But yes, all we can do is wait and see.

Hoi! Wii gahts?
I can only say that about Hyppia what we witnessed here in those 6 months. That is the complete denial of any other tactics other than his attacking system which he believes in. Be prepared for players playing out of position and strange team selections. Also that the opposition breaks through the Sami System with a counter attack, quite often outnumbering your defenders and ending up with a goal! Our Board, did have a different recruitment team that seemed to be playing championship manager game to find players rather than actual scouting, but some of those signed last year are playing much better under our current manager Hughton. As mentioned above by others, I think he needs a good assistant, someone to help him implement his ideas. The danger is, it didn't work out at Leverkusen or here at Brighton and if he comes with the same ideas, then it might not work out at FCZ.
But I do wish him well and the best of luck at FCZ, although as a kid I was taken to see GC on a few occasions and I've always looked out for their results. But even so, best of luck and if ever Hyppia gets it right at a club, he will be successful.
Macheds guet gägä Luzern!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good luck to him as it just didn't work out here...At times it looked like we were making progress as we created a fair few chances,but just didn't work out.

We got through to the 4th round of the League cup for the first time in twenty odd years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, but that's the same scenario as with us at the moment.

Our Chairman and Owner controls the Club, has stated that there'll be no new transfers this summer, and we have a revolving-door policy as regards managers.

We're doomed!

Good luck - but I'm afraid he is dreadful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here