Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anybody else finding this dick swinging competition between NSC and Naylor #Cringe?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Naylor rarely seems to have anything positive to say about the club, I'm not really sure what his angle is does anyone else?
His angle is that he claims to know lots, and that others that say they know things (NSC) don't and are wrong, and that it's an exclusive in his paper. He then turns out to be wrong, or late with the news.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have found that his opinion pieces are heavily influenced by how he gets along personally with the manager of the day, that he has a low opinion of us as fans and uses the dullest and most tenuous analogies in his writing. Brian Owen pieces are better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't see where the animosity towards Andy Naylor has any grounds as he is just a journo doing his job almost certainly with his hands tied behind his back.;

Quite. If it wasn't Andy Naylor being targeted, it'd be Brian Owen - who is another decent journalist by the way. Guess it just goes with the Albion reporting turf. Doubtless the equivalent journo / messageboard animosity exists at just about every other club. Same as every club has to have a rival club to hate, however drummed-up and patently fake that rivalry may be. It's all part and parcel of the pantomime.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Argus is no longer my first port of call when it comes to Albion news. NSC has blown them out of the water.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite. If it wasn't Andy Naylor being targeted, it'd be Brian Owen - who is another decent journalist by the way. Guess it just goes with the Albion reporting turf. Doubtless the equivalent journo / messageboard animosity exists at just about every other club. Same as every club has to have a rival club to hate, however drummed-up and patently fake that rivalry may be. It's all part and parcel of the pantomime.
On the contrary, I haven't seen any complaints about Brian Owen, when he covers the Albion stories. He doesn't have a pop at fans on Twitter either.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Compare and contrast with John Vinnicombe who was a nasty drunk but who was fortunate to live in an age when the printed word was All there was and as a result he is still held in some respect.
Naylor & Owen on the other hand do as well as most given the modern competition for breaking news but he doesn't help himself by openly disrespecting the biggest fans forum and disparaging everyone using social media who isn't a "professional"
The failure in his relationship with the club can't be truly laid at his door as it almost certainly emanates from Barber. Whilst we are not a Chelsea in the way we try to control the media we do keep our business operations quite private. It's why I frankly disbelieve all the "I know someone in the club who says.........." reports on here. Unless they have been "briefed in" then no-one has an inside track these days. The best source of news about our transfer dealings is almost always going to be from the other end. Who breaks it will depend on who reads it first at source and there are more of us than just Naylor & Owen to do the looking.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The Argus is no longer my first port of call when it comes to Albion news. NSC has blown them out of the water.

I tend to use NSC for pretty much most news, have done for many years now, someone on here nearly always breaks new news about most stuff with links etc, footy related or just general news, I would be surprised if many others dont do the same.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I tend to use NSC for pretty much most news, have done for many years now, someone on here nearly always breaks new news about most stuff with links etc, footy related or just general news, I would be surprised if many others dont do the same.

Quite. Like for example the Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank link today :lol:. Recent example of NSC Breaking News that springs to mind was when that Virgin plane a couple of months back hit a bit of mechanical trouble and had to start dumping fuel and return to Gatwick. NSC provided a flightradar24 link for the flight. Went to the BBC news website and there was nothing whatsoever on there for quite some time. In the end I phoned up their duty officer, got put through to their newsroom, talked them through the flightradar24 link and hey presto within ten minutes it flashed up as Breaking News complete with flightradar24 graphics.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

If you post a false rumour as fact on NSC, in an articulate way and believable way, it will be lifted and placed on to wider forums such as Twitter. If it gets far enough the papers will follow it.

That's why I ignore all transfer speculation unless it comes from a credible source. I regard Bozza as one, and I have another who I think has access to the same source. Peter O'Rourke rarely seems to get anything wrong. The funniest account in Twitter is Soccer Sauce, who has many devoted followers, even those all his accomplished posts are re-prints, and everything he has forecast about Albion has been wrong, unless it was copied from.... here.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I assumed Naylor was a Palarse troll? He certainly appears to know very little about the goings on at our club and seems to have a distinct dislike for many of its fans. I find it easiest to completely ignore his bulls**t.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nothing more cringeworthy than hash tags outside of Twitter
#TotesAgree [emoji38]

Andy Naylor REPORTS on what is happening at the club, when it happens - i.e. when it's confirmed by the club. Clearly that approach doesn't wash with some people but there are others that rely on The Argus, rather than use NSC.

I don't get the slagging he gets, nor the character assassinations or constant picking at him for every little thing he gets wrong.

He's doing a job; I personally think he does it pretty well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I don't get the Naylorbashing to be honest. Tough jobthat's only going to get harder with more media fragmentation in the future. He does pretty well. I'm not sure what people expect to be honest.

As said, for any real scoops you'd want to be on here anyway

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Think most understand that Naylor doesn't do a bad job bearing in mind what he can and can't report on.

Think the problem with most is his attitude, thinks everyone else on Twitter or on NSC is a pleb and does seem to have had a chip on his shoulder with the club ever since his mate McGhee was sacked and he is firmly on the outside looking in rather than his position with McGhee at the helm.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Honestly it seems like every single day one of the two twitter accounts are making some thinly veiled or obnoxious comment to one another. You know if you spent less time swinging your dicks in each others faces and more time on supplying the actual rumours instead of throwing out shit riddles every once in a while everyone would be much better off for it. Except for your dicks of course, but maybe they deserve a rest.

:thumbsup:

You do know you can just unfollow them, right?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What willy waving is this then?

To give him his due, AN was the one that reported that the 5m offer for LD had been rejected yesterday and he put some flesh on the bones of the Dale Stephens rumour. That's his job - to find rumours and wheedle information out of the club, which is a difficult thing to do.these days. NSC is a fine source of rumours, so if he gets them from here, so what? Most newsrooms get stories and videos from social media nowadays anyway, so why shouldn't the local footie reporter? There are only 2 of them monitoring the same sites as people on here so I am not surprised that NSC finds things first, but he follows things up and gains some clarity, which is something very few on NSC can do. He has his job to do and he does it reasonably well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor makes mistakes like building up Dean Hammond as 'the returning player we'd all been waiting for', and more recently rubbishing the Zamora and Murphy transfers on twitter.

However, if you can accept he is sometimes wrong, then he does a pretty decent job overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here