Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

DerbyMatt

Aug 24, 2015
Don't think you need Stephens if you have Thorne. A straight swap would be fair though [emoji6]

Yeah I was a little unsure as to why we're after Stephens,Thorne is quite creative too though which is what we need. Maybe Stephens would be able to do Thorne's current job to give Thorne a bit of freedom.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Don't think you need Stephens if you have Thorne. A straight swap would be fair though [emoji6]

Or better still keep Stephens buy Thorne and Butterfield.

Can you imagine that midfield along with kayal. Be like playing championship manager so many good players and you can't put them all in same team.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Derby fan here, thanks to the guys in the other thread for directing me to this thread.

So I'll be honest, I was a bit concerned we were after this guy as I didn't know much about him. The fact it has started a 29 page thread must mean you guys rate him very highly though.

My understanding is we definitely are very keen. Some of you have said we're looking a bit desperate due to Hughes getting injured, we were already in the market for a midfielder before that, his injury (and the other 2 midfielder injuries) have simply made it more urgent.

This guy wouldn't be a Hughes replacement, totally different player and Hughes is irreplaceable for what we can spend. However, signing this guy would allow us a bit of flexibility to move players around in midfield.

A few comments I wanted to make about things I've read:

Okay so firstly, we have spent a good number of years taking very good care of our finances, keeping a low wage budget and not splashing out on players.

This season is the first time we're going for it, can you blame us? We've come very close the past 2 seasons and bottled it, if there was ever a time to go for it, it's now.

The "without any success" part is inaccurate, unless you mean the first 4 games are without success which is fair enough. We'll see at the end of the season (I personally think playoffs, then it's a lottery - which means chances are we'll fail again).

Apparently our FFP figures are okay with how we've structured the deals (monthly installments).

Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick, Thorne - if he's better than any of those, I want this guy signed ASAP. If he's better than Thorne I will rob a bank and stump up the cash needed myself.

I was looking at this forum with the Bayern quote, you have taken practically everything out of context, apart from some of the "never heard of him" comments.

A slight concern but it's not too bad, we'll see in a month's time.

Thanks for your post.

I heard about this rumour last week but I didn't make much of it, especially after our management then goes on to say he's not going anywhere, but every player has a price. Stump up 4 million, and I'd say that's a deal I'd do! (But in my opinion, I don't see him moving unless Derby up their offer)

If you do sign Dale, don't expect brilliance. He's the 'silent' box-to-box type player who keeps the midfield ticking and does a lot defensively, AND he likes to push up at times too. So he's quite versatile in that respect. He's surprisingly controversial at Brighton, some hate him with a passion, and some like him. Although I'd say he's very important in our midfield especially since our new 442 formation means we have 1 less in the centre, so the versatility is handy.

With your squad this year, I don't know if it's possible for Derby to not get promoted with the squad you have. It's insane considering the attacking talent you've got to play with. If you want, we'll swap Dale Stephens for Johnny Russell. That seems fair. :)

Good luck for the season, and may we never meet in the play-offs, god forbid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We ought to nickname Stephens '3 touch'.

1 to control the ball coming in.
1 to steady himself.
1 to pass the ball 6 yards back to the player it came from.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If you do sign Dale, don't expect brilliance. He's the 'silent' box-to-box type player who keeps the midfield ticking and does a lot defensively, AND he likes to push up at times too. So he's quite versatile in that respect. He's surprisingly controversial at Brighton, some hate him with a passion, and some like him. Although I'd say he's very important in our midfield especially since our new 442 formation means we have 1 less in the centre, so the versatility is handy.

Is Stephens that controversial? Do people really hate him with a passion? I've seen some people maybe don't rate him as highly as others but hate is a strong word.

DerbyMatt

Aug 24, 2015
Thanks for your post.

I heard about this rumour last week but I didn't make much of it, especially after our management then goes on to say he's not going anywhere, but every player has a price. Stump up 4 million, and I'd say that's a deal I'd do! (But in my opinion, I don't see him moving unless Derby up their offer)

With your squad this year, I don't know if it's possible for Derby to not get promoted with the squad you have. It's insane considering the attacking talent you've got to play with. If you want, we'll swap Dale Stephens for Johnny Russell. That seems fair. :)

Good luck for the season, and may we never meet in the play-offs, god forbid.

Haha, it does feel like we HAVE to go up this season or it will all come tumbling down.

Good luck to you guys too, not a bad start at all!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Is Stephens that controversial? Do people really hate him with a passion? I've seen some people maybe don't rate him as highly as others but hate is a strong word.

Don't underestimate NSC. It may be a minority, but it's a vocal one. Perhaps "Hate with a passion" was too strong, but some people just don't like him. On the way back from Fulham 2 weeks ago, I was talking to a Brighton fan on the coach who kept saying how awful Stephens was. I thought he had a decent game, especially in the first half. People just want targets to moan at sometimes, I wouldn't think much into it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

1 to steady himself.

Same as Dean Hammond then.

At least his first touch doesn't bounce of out play like CMS

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

1 to steady himself.

Do you ever have anything positive to say, like ever? Unless I've missed the sarcasm here.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Don't underestimate NSC. It may be a minority, but it's a vocal one. Perhaps "Hate with a passion" was too strong, but some people just don't like him. On the way back from Fulham 2 weeks ago, I was talking to a Brighton fan on the coach who kept saying how awful Stephens was. I thought he had a decent game, especially in the first half. People just want targets to moan at sometimes, I wouldn't think much into it.

It always amazes how differently people see things. For me midfielders like Stephens - who are proper box to box players (for the second goal in a row he was the furthest player forward), who is also an aerial threat, who can tackle, pass, who will score a goal, a player who demands the ball are bloomin' difficult to replace. We have a player who together with Kayal allows us to play two wide players in a 4-4-2 and still people are not satisfied.

Look at the career Hammond has had after leaving us for the first time. And there were plenty happy to drive him to the station.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same as Dean Hammond then.

At least his first touch doesn't bounce of out play like CMS

He's lucky to have someone 6 yards away to pass too!! but enough of that.

Yeah I very much see him as Dean Hammond II
I have no idea how he can be 'brilliant, 8.5/10, MotM etc' on the player rating threads.

He's clearly the second best central midfielder, and certainly isn't a dud.
I appreciate it's the start of the season plus the fact he had such a long injury lay off.
I hope there's more to come, I'm just not seeing the 'box to box', 'incisive passing' & 'easily contributing 10 goals from midfield' that Team Dale does.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Fair enough. I know there are some fans who don't rate him, I was just a bit surprised by the suggestion people hate him.

I'm sure there are a few fans that would have taken the £2.5 million from Derby. They would have been wrong though as Stephens and Kayal are forming a fantastic partnership in midfield in my opinion and are key to the new system.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It always amazes how differently people see things. For me midfielders like Stephens - who are proper box to box players (for the second goal in a row he was the furthest player forward), who is also an aerial threat, who can tackle, pass, who will score a goal, a player who demands the ball are bloomin' difficult to replace. We have a player who together with Kayal allows us to play two wide players in a 4-4-2 and still people are not satisfied.

Look at the career Hammond has had after leaving us for the first time. And there were plenty happy to drive him to the station.

Excellent post. That is all.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He's lucky to have someone 6 yards away to pass too!! but enough of that.

Yeah I very much see him as Dean Hammond II
I have no idea how he can be 'brilliant, 8.5/10, MotM etc' on the player rating threads.

He's clearly the second best central midfielder, and certainly isn't a dud.
I appreciate it's the start of the season plus the fact he had such a long injury lay off.
I hope there's more to come, I'm just not seeing the 'box to box', 'incisive passing' & 'easily contributing 10 goals from midfield' that Team Dale does.

Others make a fair point. The fact you rated CMS so highly shows how much we should respect your opinion on Stephens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey anyone would think I suggested we 'put him out of his misery'.

I just don't get the love in.
He's clearly better (by virtue of the market) than Derby's £2.5m offer.
It'll certainly take more than that to replace him, all good news.

Assuming we're all saying Kayal is out best CM.
I think the drop off to Stephens is a decent margin, which says more about Kayal than Stephens.
Although there's still a drop in ability etc from Stephens to the other 4 squad players looking at the first team, I don't think it's quite such a gulf in class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here