Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WORST holiday destination you've ever had the misfortune to visit

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Orlando. Felt obliged to spend some theme-park time with the kids as part of a Florida trip. Seaworld was fun, but Orlando itself grim, traffic, concrete. Great Florida trip otherwise, kayaking in the everglades; Sanibel island etc.

Stoke. Believe it or not, spent a night moored up in Stoke as part of a canal boat holiday. Actually, the post-industrial archaeology was really interesting, but the aggressive locals on SuperStrength at 10 in the morning less so.

Can't understand Dubai either, sounds grim. If you want an interesting Middle East holiday then I recommend Jordan. Red Sea snorkelling , Dead Sea spas, Petra, Camel rides in the desert, loads of Roman stuff, great people.

PG

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Come off it, I know from your many rants on here that you're stubborn and won't change your mind about anything if you've already decided it's shit. And don't be so patronising :facepalm:

You can google any town in the world and you'll have an idea of what it's like in about 5 minutes.

Yes, and I did google, and I did decide it was not going to be my kind of place but sometimes you go to places for someone else. I founds some okay things to do in the desert. The city was hideous. There are literally thousands of places to visit in the world. You go to enough of them, some of them aren't going to be to your liking. It doesn't make someone a cultural heathen or only after KFC for God's sakes! Stick to places like Malta if you want a holiday you know you'll love. If you get a bit more adventurous , throw the dice on a location you will sometimes be pleasantly surprised, sometimes not like it.
That may make me a cultural deadbeat in your books. You would be wrong.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, and I did google, and I did decide it was not going to be my kind of place but sometimes you go to places for someone else. I founds some okay things to do in the desert. The city was hideous. There are literally thousands of places to visit in the world. You go to enough of them, some of them aren't going to be to your liking. It doesn't make someone a cultural heathen or only after KFC for God's sakes! Stick to places like Malta if you want a holiday you know you'll love. If you get a bit more adventurous , throw the dice on a location you will sometimes be pleasantly surprised, sometimes not like it.
That may make me a cultural deadbeat in your books. You would be wrong.

I don't think you're a cultural deadbeat! I've never had much interest in Dubai for most of the reasons you've stated, although I'd be interested to see some of the crazy stuff they've built just to experience the place so might do a couple of days at some point as a stop over.

To be honest I wasn't even really talking about you, it was more the stuff like "I went to magaluf for 2 weeks and didn't like all the pissheads and english breakfasts" or " My flight was delayed so I now hate a whole country"

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with my Malta comments, Malta is nothing like the Costa Del Sol. There's 2000 years of history to explore on the island and you can do it for 1.5 euros a day on their bus system which is great - that's what I meant with the culturally braindead thing. One of the reasons I loved it is because there are normal people going about their business everywhere and there's not that many tourist traps that the locals would avoid (if any). There's two threads on here and about half the people thought it was a shithole, which I can't get my head around having been there.

I've got Marrakech next month and Australia next year. India, Cambodia and South America on the to do list. Quite fancy the Azores islands as well.

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Gibraltar. Fortunately it was only a weekend

Get your point, it IS a shithole, but i always love going there or passing by. There's something fascinating about our weird rock sticking out of Spains arse with its own cloud and nuclear submarines

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Get your point, it IS a shithole, but i always love going there or passing by. There's something fascinating about our weird rock sticking out of Spains arse with its own cloud and nuclear submarines

It's Gibraltar! What are you expecting? A safari? BTW it must be bad if you keep going back there.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think you're a cultural deadbeat! I've never had much interest in Dubai for most of the reasons you've stated, although I'd be interested to see some of the crazy stuff they've built just to experience the place so might do a couple of days at some point as a stop over.

To be honest I wasn't even really talking about you, it was more the stuff like "I went to magaluf for 2 weeks and didn't like all the pissheads and english breakfasts" or " My flight was delayed so I now hate a whole country"

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with my Malta comments, Malta is nothing like the Costa Del Sol. There's 2000 years of history to explore on the island and you can do it for 1.5 euros a day on their bus system which is great - that's what I meant with the culturally braindead thing. One of the reasons I loved it is because there are normal people going about their business everywhere and there's not that many tourist traps that the locals would avoid (if any). There's two threads on here and about half the people thought it was a shithole, which I can't get my head around having been there.

I've got Marrakech next month and Australia next year. India, Cambodia and South America on the to do list. Quite fancy the Azores islands as well.

Malta would be better without quite so many iffy looking expats looking for someone to button hole or rip off. No problem with the reserved Maltese. It does seem polluted, The smaller Gomez is nicer, albeit hardly party paradise [GOOD] and easily/cheaply accessible.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can genuinely say I've never had a 'bad' holiday anywhere.

Seems that most people's judgements on a place come after a bad experience and they fail to see through that. *shrug*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here