Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering tonight

It would appear that there is only ONE member of staff in Dick's Bar who can work the coffee machine (the excellent Debs). But she is rushed off her feet with supervisory duties and sorting out other service problems. So the outcome of a request for a coffee is a response of "Not at the moment, there's no-one here who knows how to make one".

Hopeless.

Didn't Ray Bloom make part of his fortune running a chain of coffee shops? Can't he help out on the training side?

Haven't eaten in the stadium for years, judging by the quizzical looks many were giving their food after biting in to it that won't be changing any time soon either.

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
Bought a steak pie in a bag. Took it to my seat and rested it on my leg and it was extremely hot. The old containers did not have a burning risk. Potential problem and HR risk. Oh, and the pie was rock hard.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I had a steak pie and pint before the game in WSL which was fine but the friend who tried to pay with his card had problems. The machine kept saying it could not connect but the printout said payment declined. He tried to explain what it had said and the problem was with the machine but the server could not comprehend. Eventually they tried contactless payment and it worked. However after the game I ordered 2 pints of Fosters and 1 pint of Kronenburg and said I had one more to order for someone when they got there and he should be there by the time he had got my drinks. So he stood there looking at me quizzically (he was not a local) so I repeated it. Still no movement from him so in the end I offered the money and he went to get the beers. He came back with the Fosters but said they had no Kronenburg so I ordered another Fosters and asked for the price difference to be refunded. Although it was only 10p it was the principle. He went to the till and handed me £1-20 so after the problems I did not offer a refund.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
My moan last night was the lack of staff. I was in the 1901 (Wynne Baxter Whatever lounge) and the excellent Karen was on her own, (usually there are 2 or 3) and the poor girl was rushed off her feet. I got there at 7pm, and she was down to one pie and a pasty which went before I could be served and nothing was replenished at half time. Although Karen got a helper at half time to pour the beers he looked like he had never done it before so the service hardly improved.

Why can't they get the staffing levels and supplies right. They have had 3 months to plan for last night and still its a shambles. So instead of my usual 2 or 3 pints and a pie I had one pint which in the grand scheme of things is hardly going to bankrupt the club, but multiply it by many thousands of punters in the same boat then it does start to have an effect.

Please sort this out for the next game. It really shouldn't be that hard.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
WSU even worse than usual. Halftime queues never moved, full time ran out of beer other than Guinness - but somehow managed to have dozens of burgers left.

Risible effort marking a new low - some going for catering in WSU!! A team of drunkards and blind mice could organise a better showing. It really is the poorest operation that I have ever had the misfortune to be at the mercy of.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
East Upper, first kiosk in from south end. Arrived early, 6:45, and was ready for the usual Harveys & burger but only two tills open and training the staff. Long queues. Having downed the first I was going to get a second pint but the queues put me off.
Meanwhile why no scratch cards? Was the 97 day break not long enough to a/ train new staff & b/ print scratch cards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
what happened to the catering tonight?
I knew there'd be a thread on catering, it was awful. I wouldn't have been surprised if there were some new staff members, but I can only assume there were none left from last season.

On the stroke of half time I was heading to the queue, which was big already. 5 minutes later and the queue hadn't moved forward 1 foot. WTF were they doing? The pies had sold out long before we got to the front. There's just no ****ing excuse for it, they knew how many of us were coming. I was desperate for food, so I tried my first cheeseburger. Sweet baby Jesus, how the **** can a place that sells those lovely pies also sell the shittest burgers in the world. For 4.60!

Very unimpressed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely baffling that the club still can't get this right.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sausage rolls were very good. Not sure £4.10 worth but one of the best things I've eaten up inside the AMEX.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I got to the bar in WSU at 6.45 and asked for a Harvey's - but they didn't have any. First game of the season, hour before kick-off and they'd already "run out". Is this a record.

After the game, they'd run out of all beer except the worst poured pint of Guinness the world has ever soon.

And I want veggie pies back.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I got to the bar in WSU at 6.45 and asked for a Harvey's - but they didn't have any. First game of the season, hour before kick-off and they'd already "run out". Is this a record.

After the game, they'd run out of all beer except the worst poured pint of Guinness the world has ever soon.

And I want veggie pies back.

Run out of Harvey's at 1845- absolute joke!

I got in late to WSU late due to train chaos and grabbed a pie, at half time I joined a queue for a beer and pie stand being staffed by one person (it needs two), after being stood in said queue for 5 mins and having barely moved forward the message fed down the queue that there was no Harveys. At this point all concession queues about 15 deep and not moving, so gave up.

You have to conclude that there is literally no-one involved at the club or the catering company who give a @#@# about how much money they take, or about the 'customer experience'. It could be sorted out with minimal work. Just set up some beer only stands- lots of staff, lots of pre poured beers, contactless payments. Staff it properly and you could serve everyone without silly queues. After it being so bad for so long I can only think no one cares. If you do that, and you still have big queues, it just needs more stands, more staff.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
No Harveys before game in WSU and then middle kiosk ran out of 'gas' straight after game so no beer on sale. So frustrating seeing revenue being lost like this every season.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I love my club and the AMEX.

I am a veggie, came straight from work and looking forward to a C&O pastie.

Got one - it's hot - don't mind the bag - shockingly bad, dry hard like something made in a poor home economics class. What is the options for us veggies - terrible and disappointed.

Price is ridiculous if they want to charge premium prices they must deliver good quality food.

Where is the budget options as well. Two people with us are family's with 5 kids in total. £4 pound plus for food and £2 for drinks with no cheaper options.

In WSL they had a jacket potato option with chilli (no veggie option - how easy would that be) £5. No Qs no customers - why have this facility if your not getting the options right - what thought goes into this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The C&O pasty was very big and heavy. It felt like a lot of food for the money, but that's where the good news ends.

I want to be constructive and suggest why it was so bad, but I'm struggling. It was simply like no other C&O pasty I've ever had. It didn't seem to be short on seasoning but, despite that, it seemed bland and flavourless. Not enough cheese perhaps? The filling was a beige brown and not the creamy/yellow colour I think most C&O pasties are.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try one again next time, in the hope the recipe is improved but if it's the same, and there are no veggie pies any more, then that will be me done for Amex food until something changes again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here