Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we really be upsett if Dunk leaves?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But if you are honest with them upfront, they shouldn't have the expectation to leave, and shouldn't be demotivated. If the player knows that the club won't stand in their way if a specific bid is made by a PL club by the end of July, then that's that. No need to be demotivated, if a PL clubs wants you, that's ok. But not if they don't want you enough to bid before August (or some other specific date). Then it's too late for us to replace you, so we simply can't sell.

If the player knows that's the situation, they shouldn't get upset when the club say no.

Not going to ever be the way it works unfortunately. The club has at least sold well (in selling to above the market value for the players that left). We're certainly not getting mugged off anymore at least.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It will save us a load of yellow cards.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Teams with ambitions do not sell there best players...
We should be offering Dunk an improved contract if we have turned down £4m already.
And that contract would know doubt have a premiership buy out clause.
If we sell to a Championship side we clearly have no interest in promotion.

If Mings is worth £8m, then Dunk is worth more than that.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Ok, so lots of comments on the forum thread about the likelyhood of Dunk leaving for Fulham (possibly) or Newcastle (More likely).

For a moment, forget the issue of when / how well we replace him, including common criticisms that most of us agree on (that we did not replace leo, Barnes, Bridcutt or Buckley well enough for example...)

Should we really be upset if Dunk goes for around £5m as looks likely....

Well, firstly, if he has a £5m release clause as many have speculated then there's nothing we can do other than offer him a better deal (might repel Fulham but not Newcastle). Tony, Barber and CH would know this and would therefore be reluctant to give any assurances (so on tonight's evidence we can assume its true).

Secondly, he had a good season just gone but in a poor team and, goals aside (which do matter I accept), he got sent off stupidly, got caught out of position quite a lot, made some terrible passes and had only just recovered from the court case that had a negative impact on our best season at the Amex. He also has a few other flaws in common with all young players and, like all other young players, you can never be sure whether they will overcome these or plateau. Bridcutt and Buckley have hardly set the Prem alight, even under the mighty Gus!

When at Uni in Bradford in the nineties, there was a very similar player at Bradford City in Andy O'Brien. Looked every bit the hot young prospect from Harrogate (so local too). He was bought by Newcastle and had 3/4 steady if unremarkable seasons. He always seemed to me to be the type of centre half who worked best with a more experienced, senior player. Essentially, Bradford got the right money and the player got to reach his optimum level for about 3 seasons. Who could moan at either party for that?

In short, that's where I think Dunk is...and £5m for a player at that stage of his career is a good price. We all thought £8m+ for Leo was an excellent price and I think that a £5m fee would be in line with that. Replacing the player is a different issue and one I agree we have failed on, but we cant stop players having ambition.

After one of the depressing home games late last season (I forget which one tbh), I met Dunk in the Pycombe Services. We had a brief 2-3 min chat and I got the feeling that he felt loyalty to his hometown club but that the court case had given him a much more acute sense of the fragility of his career and how easily a player can lose all of the opportunity that comes with the talent that they are lucky enough to have.

Based on that, if Newcastle or another Prem club came in I think he would take the opportunity without hesitation.

From our perspective it would be a shame but with hindsight we probably lost more when we sold Elphick and Cook and there was less fuss.

If he goes, I hope the fans and NSC refrain from the usual Barber, Bloom, CH, Recruitment and Player slating and realise that there is probably nothing they can do to prevent it if certain clauses are met. If I was his agent, I would have insisted upon such clauses during the last contract negotiations. Furthermore, I would have been doing my job well....ensuring that I created the most flexible opportunities for my client.

Right I think that's it....first post in ages/partly drunken stream of consciousness over.
if we want to challenge this season we need to keep our best players

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
for 5million and too a Premier League side, I would sell, it would be unfair to the player not to let him go if thats the case.

I trust Mr Hughton and the team to know a decent centre back and get 2 in, I would however want 1 in before I let Dunk go.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Dunk is class but a bit casual.

Kayal & Stephens got booked because of him trying to play it too cool. That said, he tries to play it the way we should play, so yes we would miss him lots, but we wouldn't miss the moments of stupidity (red card last yr) & trying to overplay it, when sometimes he needs to learn to just get rid (it looks good when it comes off)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here