Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - Brighton vs Sevilla

Im no big fan of Baldock as I think we overpaid for him, but he did OK today, showed some decent movement at times and was always looking to deliver a dangerous cross, jury out but he'll get his chance under Hughton. Stephens is the same as that for me, he has to prove his passing is good enough to play alongside the excellent Kayal. Too early to tell if Hemed is the answer to losing Ulloa/Murray. Kaz did OK today and Solly was decent. Bong looks a great signing already. Bruno very good and the centre pairing showing good understanding together and why we've been right to rebuff Fulham. Stockdale Ok with some minor untidy handling not causing us problems.

Overall this team repeated their good showing at Crawley - it is good enough for midtable for me but will need convincing it is good enough for a serious play-off bid. The back-up on the bench is not strong, Holla and O'Grady below par for what we need.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I wasn't there, but just watched the highlights on Player - Stockdale featured in most of what they showed, and whilst the commentary was full of praise for him he seemed to let rather easy shots spill out into danger areas when he should have held on to them. Clearly better than letting them in, but I fear Forest would have had a follow up on those for a tap in. Hopefully he was better in real life than the highlights suggest.

Accidental thumbs down - soz - have since corrected it

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Would be fascinated to know where each poster in this thread was sitting today. I find myself thinking completely the opposite to some of you. Perhaps it looks different depending on whether you were east or west?

The problem with these threads when it comes down to the marking is everyone has a different way of doing a review

For example if I was to give players a rating out of 10, I would start at 5 and work up/down from there. However posters like @one hot tub, one ambition seem to give players who were "just average" a 7. Even if we saw the game in the exact same light his reviews would range from 7-9 whilst mine would range from 5-7/8. We could say the exact same stuff word-for-word, but somebody who skimmed a post would only see the numbers and would therefore see our reviews as entirely different.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The problem with these threads when it comes down to the marking is everyone has a different way of doing a review

For example if I was to give players a rating out of 10, I would start at 5 and work up/down from there. However posters like @one hot tub, one ambition seem to give players who were "just average" a 7. Even if we saw the game in the exact same light his reviews would range from 7-9 whilst mine would range from 5-7/8. We could say the exact same stuff word-for-word, but somebody who skimmed a post would only see the numbers and would therefore see our reviews as entirely different.

Who Scored starts at 7 and then goes up and down. Thats what I do.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Would be fascinated to know where each poster in this thread was sitting today. I find myself thinking completely the opposite to some of you. Perhaps it looks different depending on whether you were east or west?

I agree with you I thought the North was very quiet and couldn't hear the south either.! No atmosphere from the WSU can't wait for Friday to see real game.:facepalm:
glad to get my seat back on the west side couldn't see a thing on the sunny side .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Wasn't overly convinced re Stockdale, spilt a couple and a poor pass out in 2nd half. Decent coming for crosses but it only needs one slip as per last year we're likely to concede.

Yes, fully agree ref Stockdale -good saves and then that pass in the second half! CH was probably right in that the team was resilient and one must always bear in mind the quality of the opposition. Defence looked not at all bad, but then that was the case last year, by and large, but I really didn't see much, yet again, from our strikers. Liked the look of Bong, but Hemed did not seem to have the mobility of Leo. KLL inconsistent as ever. A long way to go decent winger might bring the best out of the strikers?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Kayal was excellent as usual - leader and with Stephens makes an excellent partnership. I like the look of the Baldock/Hemed pairing. Hemed looked furious and selfish most of the time- exactly what you want in a striker. KLL just isn't a very intelligent footballer. Excellent defensively and bruno looked like a hairy walnut. Not looking bad at all

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale - 7 - Solid. Claimed some crosses, commanded his area. A couple of spills but nothing major
Bruno - 7 - Looked Lively
Dunk - 8 - Looked completely at ease
Greer - 7.5 - Solid. Made no mistakes and partnered well with Dunk
Bong - 7.5 - God forward well and tracked back really well
Kayal - 8 - Plays as if in a constant rage. I like this. Commanded the midfield very well Man of the Match
Stephens - 7 - Makes a real difference when he played well
March - 6 - Lively but until he learns how to deliver a ball, will struggle to make much impact
Lua Lua - 6 - Also lively but his run in the second half where he completely froze and tripped over the ball kinda sums up his impact.
Baldock - 7 - Set up Hemed for the pen, looked good, showed for the ball and was a willing runner
Hemed - 7 - Nice to see a player demand to take a penalty, strive to get in the box, run at defenders and win headers

Subs:
Can't be bothered to rate

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stockdale -7 okay shot stopping although a couple refused to stick and his distribution was reasonable until he got cocky and decided to pass straight to an opponent on the edge of the box!
Bruno - 8 shows real class although positionally suspect. Antonio will rape him on Friday! Intelligent breaks from defence but no-one forward in space (ever) so always checked back and passed backwards or sideways
Greer - 7 organised the defence well
Dunk -8 some timely interceptions. We really can't afford to lose him
Bong - 7 a left back who prefers defending to attacking. Whatever next!?
Stephens - 6 mixed bag but never out of the game which bodes well
Kayal - 8 central to everything forward and back
LuaLua -6 ran into defenders too often as always but invariably the nearest we had to a creative spark
March -5 clear potential with a couple of runs that as too often came to nothing but seemed unable to find space. His pass inside when clear early on was too close to their keeper and gave an onrushing Hemed no chance and was very poor.
Baldock - 6 spent most of his time looking for space where March should have been. Not encouraging but we have to give it time
Hemed - 6 confident on the penalty but abysmal service reminiscent of last season won't help him or Baldock
Subs:
Rosenior looked assertive and intelligent. Has to start surely?
Calde offered instant energy but hard to see him getting more than a few minutes to close down games when/if we are winning
COG had no time or chance to impress
Ince is not a good sub. Love his energy but he takes too long to adjust to the pace of the game and that can be dangerous if you are defending a lead. At this stage in his career he is best if he starts
JFC had no chance to make any impact

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
March -5 clear potential with a couple of runs that as too often came to nothing but seemed unable to find space. His pass inside when clear early on was too close to their keeper and gave an onrushing Hemed no chance and was very poor.
Calde offered instant energy but hard to see him getting more than a few minutes to close down games when/if we are winning

This is my issue with March is that Calde still offers more at right wing than March does [Ducks and runs for cover...]

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I thought it was a particularly dull game. However we were playing a very good side and I thought there were some positives in the way we played against them. The truth is they were favourites to win and although they kept possession well, they didn’t find it easy to win it back off of us and we kept them relatively quiet for the whole game.

I thought defensively we looked pretty solid, and didn’t look like conceding. Stockdale parried one shot that he should have held on to, but apart from that looked ok. I thought Bong looked strong at left back, he certainly wasn’t going to get muscled off the ball by anyone.

Midfield could have been better in places, but we were playing a good side and it was obviously going to be tough. Kayal looked solid and probably had our best shots of the game. I thought Lua Lua worked hard, and probably should have done better on a couple of occasions after getting himself into good positions, but overall was fairly consistent. Stephens looked off the pace to be honest, which was a shame. I thought March started brightly but struggled with his final ball, and faded as the match went on. I just wonder whether March is ready to play from the start, whether he can perform for 90 minutes. Personally I think March would be much more effective coming on from the bench and could be a very good impact player later on in a game.

Hemed and Baldock I thought were relatively quiet, but they got quite limited service against a tight defence. On the plus side they didn’t do anything wrong.

I thought Ince looked pretty good when he came on.

The penalty looked soft, but I was up the other end of the ground and my eyes are rubbish, so it was probably clear cut. Overall I thought it was pretty workmen like performance against strong opposition. We struggled a bit up front but looked solid and hard to break down. I think we did a reasonable job against them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This is my issue with March is that Calde still offers more at right wing than March does [Ducks and runs for cover...]

Unfortunately I agree entirely.
Calde is limited in terms of skill but delivers consistently to the maximum. March looks to have skill but has yet to deliver.
A lot is down to experience and "ringcraft" but energy/commitment/enthusiasm are words that only currently apply to one of them. Time will tell.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Unfortunately I agree entirely.
Calde is limited in terms of skill but delivers consistently to the maximum. March looks to have skill but has yet to deliver.
A lot is down to experience and "ringcraft" but energy/commitment/enthusiasm are words that only currently apply to one of them. Time will tell.

I very much hope so. March needs to focus on his delivery first and foremost. I hope he's doing the old Beckham routine of staying behind in training and whipping in crosses all day long until he gets it right. He has undoubted potential though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just had a look through this. Glad that most rated our defence highly, all played well, Stockdale made some good saves, although he needs to parry shots wide, and not back towards the penalty spot. Dunk made some majestic tackles, but was wayward with his passing at times. Greer looked excellent, and really surprised me.

I'm staggered by the ratings March has received on this thread. He looked like our most lively, skilful and creative player comfortably in the first half, and started the second half well, but faded thereafter. I also think the ratings for Kayal (our best player, but not today) have been way too high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here