Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Amex - off topic

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Second time, I cycled it, first time in fine weather. Never again, the route is shit. I think it took me much longer than 25 minutes (from the Palace Pier) with traffic lights, crossing roads etc. and not being able to go optimum speed because the route was a bit crappy and unknown.

Google Earth said 19 minutes. It took me 35 minutes (camera timing) with traffic lights generally in my favour and no hold-ups.

What are you? A one legged pensioner with half a lung?

Man up!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What are you? A one legged pensioner with half a lung?

Man up!

That's a bit harsh. I think most people would struggle to do Palace Pier to the Amex in under 25 minutes.I live in Coldean and cycle from town regularly and you have to overcome a heap of traffic lights (22 I think, between the pier and the stadium), the traffic and pedestrians frequently walking in front of you, strolling in cycle lanes.

When I commuted to London, I cycle to the station early in the morning and it took me about 17 to 18 minutes, if I left in rush hour, it would take about 22 to 30 - that's a hell of difference.

I would allow 30 minutes to the stadium from the seafront on a match day

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's a bit harsh. I think most people would struggle to do Palace Pier to the Amex in under 25 minutes.I live in Coldean and cycle from town regularly and you have to overcome a heap of traffic lights (22 I think, between the pier and the stadium), the traffic and pedestrians frequently walking in front of you, strolling in cycle lanes.

When I commuted to London, I cycle to the station early in the morning and it took me about 17 to 18 minutes, if I left in rush hour, it would take about 22 to 30 - that's a hell of difference.

I would allow 30 minutes to the stadium from the seafront on a match day

I think it was more a jibe at Perseus's whine fest that he has been on in this and recent other threads.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Second time, I cycled it, first time in fine weather. Never again, the route is shit. I think it took me much longer than 25 minutes (from the Palace Pier) with traffic lights, crossing roads etc. and not being able to go optimum speed because the route was a bit crappy and unknown.

Google Earth said 19 minutes. It took me 35 minutes (camera timing) with traffic lights generally in my favour and no hold-ups.

It is a bit crap from the pier to the vogue gyratory. Once clear of the gyratory, plain sailing though. If you've only gone from the pier up to the Amex only twice, then you are a route novice, a mere beginner in the learning experience to discover the golden route of the right cycle lanes to road usage required for optimum navigation of this short stretch of cycling nightmare. After 4 years of various attempts, I still probably don't use the same route twice.

I often use the road past the Pavilion and Ye Olde King & Queen, but the road surface is so appalling it makes Paris Roubaix look like cycling over a silk smooth polished road (perhaps...). I then join the cycling lane past St Peters, however this is dependent on traffic lights. Of course the road is wide here so my choice doesn't effect drivers either way. Once at the end of the Level, you know you have the gyratory in sight and the promised land of the Lewes Road cycle lane, more than enough reward for the Old Steine-Level slog. :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone give me a rough idea please as to how long it's likely to take me to cycle from the Old Steine in Brighton to the Amex, travelling at a gentle speed? Just wondering how much time I need to leave myself for the journey today.

Thanks in advance...

How was it?

theboybilly

It is a bit crap from the pier to the vogue gyratory. Once clear of the gyratory, plain sailing though. If you've only gone from the pier up to the Amex only twice, then you are a route novice, a mere beginner in the learning experience to discover the golden route of the right cycle lanes to road usage required for optimum navigation of this short stretch of cycling nightmare. After 4 years of various attempts, I still probably don't use the same route twice.

I often use the road past the Pavilion and Ye Olde King & Queen, but the road surface is so appalling it makes Paris Roubaix look like cycling over a silk smooth polished road (perhaps...). I then join the cycling lane past St Peters, however this is dependent on traffic lights. Of course the road is wide here so my choice doesn't effect drivers either way. Once at the end of the Level, you know you have the gyratory in sight and the promised land of the Lewes Road cycle lane, more than enough reward for the Old Steine-Level slog. :thumbsup:

I was going to write pretty much all of this. The stretch from the pier to St.Peters is not very nice for a novice as the road surface is so poor and people insisting on parking on the cycle lane. Care needs to be taken around the gyratory (I could even suggest walking for 2 minutes before picking up the new bit of cycle lane) After that it really is so easy I'm surprised so many more don't cycle from central Brighton. Forget timings given by apps etc. I'd add 10% to any estimate

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

This is the route I took. On an unfamiliar route I don't know the hazards so I tend to go a bit slower than optimum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here