Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk to join Fulham this week?

Feb 14, 2010
If the money is the be all and end all in every case then why is WIll Hughes still playing for Derby County, or Demarai Gray still playing for Birmingham City?

No idea mate, but I assume you go to work and if someone else offered you more money to do the same job, but in London and with more money then wouldn't you do it? I would. Very nice place Fulham also.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shame for the club. We lost a centre back to Bournemouth and he then promptly helped them get to the Premier League. Twice now that we lose players to clubs who get crowds far less than the Albion.
But other players have left their clubs to join us - it can't be all one way, we can't have everyone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No idea mate, but I assume you go to work and if someone else offered you more money to do the same job, but in London and with more money then wouldn't you do it? I would. Very nice place Fulham also.

But millions of people don't watch me on TV every week being good at my job. Dunk is a good player, but he is a fool if he goes to Fulham. They have no chance of promotion and - pound for pound - he is a better player than all of his former Albion teammates that have graced the Prem over the past 5 years. He should have held out til January - either he gets promoted with us or joins a Prem side then.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Rumours Fulham could be signing James Tarkowski from Brentford. A centre back, for a fair chunk of money.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A decent source suggested to me that the story that Fulham had offered £5m was "absolute bollocks". That's not to say...

1. They've offered something close to £5m.
2. They might offer £5m in the future.

Who knows? Not me, that's for sure.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think he is by far our best CB, but so do Fulham! If (and let's face it he is) he is going then we need a new very good CB and we need to strengthen elsewhere to - another winger, forward, midfield creative player ..... Just have to hope that we have the new players lined up already with the deals done to spend the £5m well.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I think he is by far our best CB, but so do Fulham! If (and let's face it he is) he is going then we need a new very good CB and we need to strengthen elsewhere to - another winger, forward, midfield creative player ..... Just have to hope that we have the new players lined up already with the deals done to spend the £5m well.

& our top goalscorer. He had 5 or 6 before Xmas last year.
He should be told to play & get on with it, whatever the outcome

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But millions of people don't watch me on TV every week being good at my job. Dunk is a good player, but he is a fool if he goes to Fulham. They have no chance of promotion and - pound for pound - he is a better player than all of his former Albion teammates that have graced the Prem over the past 5 years. He should have held out til January - either he gets promoted with us or joins a Prem side then.
Why would they have no chance of promotion? Looks like they will have a strong side by the end of the window.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A decent source suggested to me that the story that Fulham had offered £5m was "absolute bollocks". That's not to say...

Can you shed any more light on the refusal to play thing please? And whether you feel he'll be off...?

I'd hate him to leave tarnished with the Bridcutt brush - he's a Sussex lad after all... :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you shed any more light on the refusal to play thing please? And whether you feel he'll be off...?

I'd hate him to leave tarnished with the Bridcutt brush - he's a Sussex lad after all... :(

I'm told he didn't refuse to play against Fulham. I have no idea about Southend as I didn't ask.

I reckon it's 50/50 right now.

If I was 23, and knew I could triple my pay taking me up to c£1m per year then I certainly wouldn't think twice and I'd be off.

But if Fulham have resorted to other targets and no one else is in for Dunk (I have no idea if anyone is, but the transfer window has a way to go still) then he won't have any choice but to stay. I'm sure he'll get a decent pay rise out of that if so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My hope is that we keep him until January, and that he goes then if he still feels the need. Somebody needs to have a quiet word in his ear about this, and you can bet that is what has happened which is why he hasn't gone already.

We all know it's a short career, we all know he could triple his wages elsewhere. But let's be fair to everyone, including the club. Let's give the local club that gave him his break the chance to get into a position to launch a promotion bid, and if he still wants to go, he can go to a Premier league club in the January window. Or possibly stay with us on renegotiated heftier wages if we look a good bet for promotion.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
According to the Fulham rumour mill we're still after him. You saw the inadequacies of our defence on Saturday and if he shores it up it might be worth shelling out £5m.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm told he didn't refuse to play against Fulham. I have no idea about Southend as I didn't ask.

I reckon it's 50/50 right now.

If I was 23, and knew I could triple my pay taking me up to c£1m per year then I certainly wouldn't think twice and I'd be off.

But if Fulham have resorted to other targets and no one else is in for Dunk (I have no idea if anyone is, but the transfer window has a way to go still) then he won't have any choice but to stay. I'm sure he'll get a decent pay rise out of that if so.

My hope is that we keep him until January, and that he goes then if he still feels the need. Somebody needs to have a quiet word in his ear about this, and you can bet that is what has happened which is why he hasn't gone already.

We all know it's a short career, we all know he could triple his wages elsewhere. But let's be fair to everyone, including the club. Let's give the local club that gave him his break the chance to get into a position to launch a promotion bid, and if he still wants to go, he can go to a Premier league club in the January window. Or possibly stay with us on renegotiated heftier wages if we look a good bet for promotion.

Completely agree Simster. It's a short career, but Bennett accepted our decision that time and gave his all for the team. A class act. I feel Dunky would be the same - he doesn't strike me as the type to sulk. If he's offered an improved contract, even double what he's on now, it would surely tempt him to stay with his home club and our great facilities. I just hope he can remain focused. There's no doubt in my mind Dunk and the German would be the partnership going forward, and it's bad to chop and change CB partnerships. I really hope he stays as I feel his departure could turn a strong area of our team into a weak one. Fingers are crossed on this one - Give him a new deal BHA, even if it takes a chunk out of our budget...

If COG and Colunga are on the wages that many have reported, the sooner we get them off our books, the better...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Completely agree Simster. It's a short career, but Bennett accepted our decision that time and gave his all for the team. A class act. I feel Dunky would be the same - he doesn't strike me as the type to sulk. If he's offered an improved contract, even double what he's on now, it would surely tempt him to stay with his home club and our great facilities. I just hope he can remain focused. There's no doubt in my mind Dunk and the German would be the partnership going forward, and it's bad to chop and change CB partnerships. I really hope he stays as I feel his departure could turn a strong area of our team into a weak one. Fingers are crossed on this one - Give him a new deal BHA, even if it takes a chunk out of our budget...

If COG and Colunga are on the wages that many have reported, the sooner we get them off our books, the better...
You can't just say "we should double his wages" at this point, as that could well break the wage structure and store problems for the future.

Ultimately none of us really know why he hasn't played in the last 2 games. It could be because he's sulking, it could be because his head isn't right so Hughton has taken the decision for him not to start. We really don't know.

All I'll say is that for some reason, personally I do actually trust the club to handle this situation properly and what is happening doesn't appear detrimental to performances on the pitch. Hünemeier seems like a fantastic acquisition, arguably the most important signing yet. It's almost as if the club were planning in case this situation ever arose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Looks like Fulham have now put in their first serious bid. http://www.onemk.co.uk/sport/footba...ighton-defender-lewis-dunk-190820150027.html?

I think (a Fulham source) that the bid before was expected to be accepted, but was (to their surprise) turned down. Now it maybe more as to whether Dunk wants to go to Fulham or not?

What do I think. I actually think Shaun Hutchinson is just as good (if not better) as Dunk and that Fulham will do well out of the deal. Whether Dunk and Hutchinson are too similar players and not the right player for Fulham? Both can make rash fouls, although cynically chopping down Lualua just outside the penalty area could be said to be well timed?

My view is not to sell our better players under normal circumstances, if they are really that good better offers will come in later. And then have a ready made younger replacement, so the Prussian does not count.

Other than that it is sometime best to sell players when they are on form as you get more dosh for them then. The trick to getting a good player is to sign someone off form as he is then cheaper. Depends if they are really quality or not? I think £5 milion is a fair value, but it will weaken our squad selling him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here