Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton: Judge us after the transfer window

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't read too much into his quotes. They're trying to bring in quality players for sure.

Is it not a case though, that the players we're after are some of the most in demand and therefore the most likely to hold out as long as they can to get a good deal? Creative players, wingers and strikers seem to hold all of the cards when it comes to these negotiations...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
. If Bloom does think we can get promotion on the cheap

He's been pretty clear on this. He won't jeapordise the club with a spending level that threatens FFP breaches (see Blackburn, Leeds and Forest for how that turns out). These are being loosened anyway.
But he will fund a healthy top 10 playing budget , he will invest heavily in youth and the academy and he will look to buy effectively which has meant the club reaching the top 6 in 2 seasons out of the last 3.
And sometimes this will fail. As it did last year but he says he's in it for "many years yet" so its a long term approach.
If that's trying to do it "on the cheap" then we'll have to disagree. But i can see that its not the same as a QPR or a Leicester in terms of wages and fees.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's been pretty clear on this. He won't jeapordise the club with a spending level that threatens FFP breaches (see Blackburn, Leeds and Forest for how that turns out). These are being loosened anyway.
But he will fund a healthy top 10 playing budget , he will invest heavily in youth and the academy and he will look to buy effectively which has meant the club reaching the top 6 in 2 seasons out of the last 3.
And sometimes this will fail. As it did last year but he says he's in it for "many years yet" so its a long term approach.
If that's trying to do it "on the cheap" then we'll have to disagree. But i can see that its not the same as a QPR or a Leicester in terms of wages and fees.

Hence the IF at the start of the post you quoted. [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] isn't a regular bedwetter and has a fair amount of business experience. He's picked up on something I didn't and it's worth at least considering.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you're reading any differences in TB saying "our aim this year is to be getting back to the level you had become accustomed to " or Hughton says " want to be doing is challenging, in or close to that top six.
We’ll certainly be giving everything we can to be there but we certainly need to make sure we have a good end to the transfer window.” then i simply can't see it.

They're not saying they expect it, they're not saying it will happen. They're both saying its their aim or what they want. Of course they are. Hughton has delivered on this before at his previous clubs and Bloom has funded a squad who has done this twice in 3 years. Of course they think its an aim , an achievable aim and want they want. And Bloom isn't blind. He sat through enough of our performances last year to realise that he's got a tough job on his hands. Now i think its currently unlikely given the squad is mostly the same as that that finished 20th and the rebuilding isn't complete but so what ? . Perplexed as to what else you actually expect them to say at this stage?

Im saying what I said previously, which is that TB has been both consistent and clear in his objectives: promotion, most likely through the playoffs. That has been his stated position for at least the last three seasons and is again for 15/16. Chris clearly understands that's his Chairman's goal. No doubt that's his goal too. However, by using the clause "...close to it...", I believe he is trying gently and subtlely to adjust TB's expectations. I don't read into what he said an interpretation of "we have no chance", but I do read considerable uncertainty.

You see no difference between their positions? Fair enough. I do.

I have experience of listening very carefully to what managers in my businesses say when we're budgeting or when they are forecasting. Chris's words are, to me, deliberate and setting the scene for a reasonable chance of failure.

do I think Chris wants to fail? No, of course not. Do I think that he thinks there's an above average chance that he will and he's starting the process of expectation management, or negotiation for a (further) increase in his budget. Yep, I do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh dear Chris!
Better to say nothing than to trot out almost verbatim the "promises" from last year? Poorly judged & poorly timed IMO :(

It would be, "Oh dear Chris" - IF he'd said it.

But he didn't - 'Judge us at the end of the transfer window' was the headline made up by the Argus.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I am not too concerned, while the number of signings is low the quality has been far superior to last seasons Burke led shambles. If we can bring in similar level of signings in the offensive positions we should improve drasticly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
do I think Chris wants to fail? No, of course not. Do I think that he thinks there's an above average chance that he will and he's starting the process of expectation management, or negotiation for a (further) increase in his budget. Yep, I do.

Agreed. Its a interesting and very subtle way of interpreting the quotes that i hadn't picked up on. As for Hughton being aware of communicating both to Bloom and to fans that top 6 isn't nailed on and will be a challenge then of course its something any sensible manager in Hughton's position (wanting to rebuild, working with a squad who were 20th) would want to be clear about. So again worth noting. ta.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hence the IF at the start of the post you quoted. [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] isn't a regular bedwetter and has a fair amount of business experience. He's picked up on something I didn't and it's worth at least considering.

agreed.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ anyone would think we're Barcelona reading this drivel

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Im saying what I said previously, which is that TB has been both consistent and clear in his objectives: promotion, most likely through the playoffs. That has been his stated position for at least the last three seasons and is again for 15/16. Chris clearly understands that's his Chairman's goal. No doubt that's his goal too. However, by using the clause "...close to it...", I believe he is trying gently and subtlely to adjust TB's expectations. I don't read into what he said an interpretation of "we have no chance", but I do read considerable uncertainty.

I have experience of listening very carefully to what managers in my businesses say when we're budgeting or when they are forecasting. Chris's words are, to me, deliberate and setting the scene for a reasonable chance of failure.

You have raised some very good points. However, I would say that TB's statement of his expectations this season is deliberately more vague than previous years. I do not see that they are that far apart (TB and CH), but I see where you are coming from.

The other thing that CH said at this press conference is that he reiterated that he is still very confident regarding player acquisition. That position (very confident) has not changed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Exactly he is experienced enough and given his 'ways' ..he gives the impression of being quite measured with his words

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Monumental own goal to use the same language as last year.

Please, please say nothing at all if all you can do is repeat last year's message.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No surprise, and as predicted, the 'we'll be ready' BS has been shown to be just that, BS, once again...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Unfortunately the players and their agents have the power at the moment, unless they get exactly what they want now then they will hang on to the last moments of the window. See link: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30923145

This is where the league should stipulate that the window should close 24 hours before a season starts, that way a lot of this nonsense would stop. At present you could play for two different teams before August has even finished.I know a lot of players nowadays come from overseas and their leagues start and finish at various time but they could start by introducing it to UK based players at first. I share your disappointment, i thought the club would of made a "landmark signing" of a striker by now if not only to shut up all the doubters and boost season ticket sales.But at the end of the day we have no choice but to have our hopes and expectations firmly in the hands of the club. Overall I'm still quite optimistic, as i don't think CH is here to make up the numbers and like you i just wish we could close some of these deals and go against the current transfer trend.

Suspect EU legislation makes it illegal to have different transfer windows in different countries, and it would anyway be practically very difficult, strengthening the hand of agents who would have two bites at the 'greed cherry' for their pampered clients.

The problem for Championship sides is that we play a lot of matches in August yet are fishing in the same player pond as many clubs (prem in England, any division in Europe) who play fewer. We have a flurry of games and then a week off as soon as the window closes for internationals. Part of the problem is having 24 teams in Championship; 46 games is too many IMO when we have to finish early May to squeeze in POs. Reduce to 22 teams and we could start later with no Aug mid weeks except Mickey cup when weakened team plays anyway. Then the transfer deadline being 31 Aug becomes less important

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
One thing i don't get though is most of us know it's PR BS but still get suckered into believing it. PB and TB poker faces are strong.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Im certain that the club are trying to get players in, it obvious to all what positions we've got to fill, but I think it's the players/agents hanging on until the last minute rather than the club. It's entirely in the players/agents best interest to wait for the best deal possible.

Us supporters aren't really part of the equation.

So does that make all the agents of players already signed, seen to be not acting in their players best interests?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Suspect EU legislation makes it illegal to have different transfer windows in different countries, and it would anyway be practically very difficult, strengthening the hand of agents who would have two bites at the 'greed cherry' for their pampered clients.

The problem for Championship sides is that we play a lot of matches in August yet are fishing in the same player pond as many clubs (prem in England, any division in Europe) who play fewer. We have a flurry of games and then a week off as soon as the window closes for internationals. Part of the problem is having 24 teams in Championship; 46 games is too many IMO when we have to finish early May to squeeze in POs. Reduce to 22 teams and we could start later with no Aug mid weeks except Mickey cup when weakened team plays anyway. Then the transfer deadline being 31 Aug becomes less important

Yikes we'd have to finish 6th from bottom ..that ups the target (tongue in cheek)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So does that make all the agents of players already signed, seen to be not acting in their players best interests?
Possibly, maybe their lads could have got more if they'd have hung on.

Money is the main driving force for transfers, but I guess it's not the only one. Things like location, facilities, crowd numbers, whether they've got a mate at that team, the presentation given by the buying team, cost/ease of relocation and numerous other factors play a part too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here