Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More expense from virgin

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just got another letter from Virgin telling me how fecking wonderful they are oh and
BTW, we are banging on another £3 to your monthly bill for BT Europe so I can watch the champions league. Woopy doo

Now with broadband, XL TV, sky and BT Sports, phone and TiVo, I extra box so we can watch TV in the dining room, I pay £130+ a month!

Has anyone else got Virgin and paying as much as this?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Quite ironic, we have been with Virgin for years and ditched them today for BT and found I've saved money.

Did a bit of research as had a bad experience with Sky but fed up with our crap broadband especially when gaming and also fed up with them continually putting up their prices.

Oh and final reason is that the new AMC channel exclusively launches on BT in September which includes the premier of Fear the Walking Dead[emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you do know you dont have to have it?

scooter1

How soon is now?
We have Virgin XL with TiVo and broadband. It's just gone up to £55 per month. I don't need sky sports, there are decent enough streams of any PL games or F1 races I want to watch. We also have a tv in the dining room, but use a loops box to split the HD signal to two tellies. Ok, youhave to watch the same channel on both sets, but we can cope with that

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We just ditched sky for BT. Was paying £55pm for sky on the entertainment package + sky sports and an extra £12 for BT sport. Broadband was £18pm from plusnet including line rental.

Now we have the entertainment plus TV from BT so all the channels we used to watch on sky plus Discovery and NatGeo etc. 38mb unlimited fibre broadband, BT sport free thrown in for £40pm. So a saving of £50 a MONTH.

Seemed a no brainer to me as sky have lost the champions league rights.

The intention is to stream prem matches over the Internet as we now have unlimited fibre broadband to cope with it.

Apr 12, 2011
Been reconsidering recently. Sky have just offered me half price off their top bundle for 12 months. Might use it as a bargaining tool with Virgin's retention team.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Quite ironic, we have been with Virgin for years and ditched them today for BT and found I've saved money.

Did a bit of research as had a bad experience with Sky but fed up with our crap broadband especially when gaming and also fed up with them continually putting up their prices.

Oh and final reason is that the new AMC channel exclusively launches on BT in September which includes the premier of Fear the Walking Dead[emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]

Due to ditch Virgin in November mate. .What package did you go for with BT?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Been reconsidering recently. Sky have just offered me half price off their top bundle for 12 months. Might use it as a bargaining tool with Virgin's retention team.
Virgin didn't want to know when I threatened them with this sky package, folk must be telling porkies when they reckon all you have to do is threaten to leave and they half your subscription.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Virgin didn't want to know when I threatened them with this sky package, folk must be telling porkies when they reckon all you have to do is threaten to leave and they half your subscription.

You have to actually leave, ie giving the required 30 days notice, it during this 30 day period they then phone you giving the option of a discount to stay.
They are now used to the verbal " I'm going to leave" bargaining knowing only a small percentage do. You now have to follow it through.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Geez £130 a month thats serious dosh...no thanks i just have the broadband at a decent speed...L TV and a call plan for my tenant...pay the line rental up front to save some dosh and pay £33 a month ...i might subscribe to sports for the odd month but normally strike a deal with this....personally i wouldn't want the hassle of moving around...i've had cable since it was shoved in the roads...Nynex/Cable & Wireless/NTL/Virgin

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

porkies or you just hear the good results. when i threaten to leave Tmobile while back, they offered a better deal they more or less said suit your self and hung up. kept expecting a call from retentions team that never came.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I ditched Virgin tv and went with Sky. Saved £30 per month

I pay £25 for Virgin broadband

£15 Sky for tv

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And some people think it would be a good idea to get rid of the license fee for the BBC and make it subscription.

Quite

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just got another letter from Virgin telling me how fecking wonderful they are oh and
BTW, we are banging on another £3 to your monthly bill for BT Europe so I can watch the champions league. Woopy doo

Now with broadband, XL TV, sky and BT Sports, phone and TiVo, I extra box so we can watch TV in the dining room, I pay £130+ a month!

Has anyone else got Virgin and paying as much as this?

That sounds a lot of money - I pay £70 ( soon to be £73 ) for 100Mb internet, XL TV, unlimited phone and three TIVO boxes. Does Sky Sports really cost an extra £60 a month ? I'd be speaking to them about what deals they can do you to stop you leaving.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
porkies or you just hear the good results. when i threaten to leave Tmobile while back, they offered a better deal they more or less said suit your self and hung up. kept expecting a call from retentions team that never came.

I think it depends on the supplier and who you actually speak to. I cancelled my Orange contract earlier in the year and they bent over backwards to try and keep me ( a customer of over 20 years ).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ironic in this case that the company in question is Virgin, because I can't help but feel you're being thoroughly screwed.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
We pay 55 quid,xl package tivo box mega fastbroadband,unlimited calls etc etc,been with ntl/ virgin for life,ring up every year to change loyality pakage,oh also have tivo box in lads room,cant complain

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Due to ditch Virgin in November mate. .What package did you go for with BT?

With Virgin we have XL TV but without sky sports and sky movies. 50mb broadband and telephone with weekend and evening calls and it was costing us around £83 per month

Our BT Package is a two year contract with their full TV bundle, plus sky movies, 76mb broadband and evening and weekend calls and its £76 per month. That includes a 1TB you view box.

The key thing for me was the broadband tho as the connection with Virgin, with 3 ps4s, tablets and laptops. I found that after an hour the access was throttled and speeds were being restricted. If you go for the unlimited package for BT the review say it never happens and also the infinity hub never receives any interference, unlike the Virgin equivalent.

I could have gone for the Netflix addition package but I already get than through the PS4.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Ring them up and they'll do you a deal.

We went from XL to L and removed sports and they took some more of cause I quoted a matching sky deal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here