Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the message getting through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
What's your view on being a little bit pissed if you know the drive is undemanding (just a little bit) ???
The evidence for drink/drugs influence is much stronger. I support the current UK limit but oppose proposals to adopt the European limit.

To answer the question in another way. If hypothetically there was a journey on an open quiet straight road and you were only slightly pissed and aware of your state and of a risk averse disposition such that your danger to any other road user was negligible, then I wouldn't object.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
As a works van driver, I can suggest that one of the reasons you may see more van drivers doing this is the volume of road noise within a van. I have a hands free, but unless I am going fairly slowly, it is difficult to hear and be heard due to road noise.
I usually don't take the call if I am driving, but will call my voicemail soon after as the call may be related to what I am doing, could be a customer has cancelled or another change in the plans and the two hour drive ahead of me is a waste of time, and I will confess, that if I am on the motorway, I will be driving and not using the hands free.

If you're on a motorway you can't do anything until the next turn-off anyway, so why not wait until you reach that then pull in and check?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I dont understand people who ignore the evidence that using a mobile while driving is dangerous. There have been too many court cases where the death of another person has been caused by a sriving using their mobile whether talking texting or facebooking. Rather than a small penalty if caught while driving I would impose a similar mandatory ban as drink driving. That shouls see a huge rexuction in mobile use while driving immediately.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
As a works van driver, I can suggest that one of the reasons you may see more van drivers doing this is the volume of road noise within a van. I have a hands free, but unless I am going fairly slowly, it is difficult to hear and be heard due to road noise.
I usually don't take the call if I am driving, but will call my voicemail soon after as the call may be related to what I am doing, could be a customer has cancelled or another change in the plans and the two hour drive ahead of me is a waste of time, and I will confess, that if I am on the motorway, I will be driving and not using the hands free.

One of my handsfree kits is an ear piece, its actually better than all the others for hearing the caller / other person, not a good argument, in my opinion, I to drive a van and in the recent past lorries......

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You can ban as many things as you want I guess, the main issue is policing it, reality has to kick in.

Policing a 'law' is only one part - the vast majority of people are law abiding and would comply with a ban.

France has banned the use of hands free phones which use an 'ear bud' or other form of headphone.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you're on a motorway you can't do anything until the next turn-off anyway, so why not wait until you reach that then pull in and check?

It is not usually possible to pull over safely anywhere near the motorway junction, I don't feel that a thumb swipe down tap on voicemail and pressing the phone to my ear is a difficult or dangerous thing to do if the road is reasonably clear, I do know that it is illegal.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Having blazed through a red light at Fiveways, cutting me off as I was cycling across on green, a brand new BMW estate proceeded down Stamford Avenue yesterday (a 20mph road) doing 30-40 and rising. What idiotic motorists like this don't realise is that they're not getting anywhere faster by driving like this because they just get stuck in traffic anyway. Approaching Preston Circus I passed the BMW, looked over and the woman in the driver's seat was happily driving along on her mobile phone to put the icing on the cake. 3 traffic violations in the space of a minute or so, just an unbelievable disregard for everyone else on the road and because Edna wasn't there due to swingeing cutbacks at RPU, she got away with all three.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I often wonder how people managed to cope with life before there were mobile phones?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Policing a 'law' is only one part - the vast majority of people are law abiding and would comply with a ban.

France has banned the use of hands free phones which use an 'ear bud' or other form of headphone.

Every day when going to work I see many people breaking the hand held use of using a mobile phone while driving, I am not pointing my side of the debate towards builders or white van drivers, many people i see are in suits and are above the 50 year old age range, I would say from their look and car they have responsible jobs, but they are breaking the law on a regular basis.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of my handsfree kits is an ear piece, its actually better than all the others for hearing the caller / other person, not a good argument, in my opinion, I to drive a van and in the recent past lorries......

mine is an in ear, third one I have tried. I can hear better on the motorway if I take one hand off the wheel, and either jam it against my free ear or press the ear piece in, rather defeats the object. Other end will still struggle to hear me though due to road noise.
Not making an argument, just telling you what I do and why, the original post asked why do people still do this.
Out of interest, what is the model you use?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes but if the police were to sit incognito in one place for 10 minutes they would catch literally dozens of mobile users, in fact they would be swamped. We need more cameras but not necessarily speed ones.

They much prefer this tactic in Eastbourne to detect those dumb enough not to wear their seatbelt. Accordingly, their priority is wrong as surely statistically the seatbelt injury will be inflicted on the individual but misuse of the nobile could involve numerous people and/ or vehicles. In defence of the copper on the street I daresay the policy is driven by a faceless accountant and statistician are only concerned with costs and achieving service level agreements.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
mine is an in ear, third one I have tried. I can hear better on the motorway if I take one hand off the wheel, and either jam it against my free ear or press the ear piece in, rather defeats the object. Other end will still struggle to hear me though due to road noise.
Not making an argument, just telling you what I do and why, the original post asked why do people still do this.
Out of interest, what is the model you use?

Samsung WEP 570 (I do have an iphone but it works with all brands as long as it has bluetooth) I think my model has been upgraded, it is a very good one, worth looking up on ebay or the like.

Sorry my use of the word "Argument" was not meant as it sounded, I should have used the word debate, my apologies :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Samsung WEP 570 (I do have an iphone but it works with all brands as long as it has bluetooth) I think my model has been upgraded, it is a very good one, worth looking up on ebay or the like.

Sorry my use of the word "Argument" was not meant as it sounded, I should have used the word debate, my apologies :thumbsup:

Thanks, will look into that. No offence was taken but thank you for the apology anyway.:thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

Attachments

• can string.jpg
    can string.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 191

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I find white van men and women on the school run to be the worst offenders in terms of how often I spot them. Recently saw a woman coming towards me on the wrong side of the road with phone cradled in her neck and applying lipstick. She actually laughed when I hooted my horn to warn her she was about to hit me! Delivery drivers and workmen seemingly constantly checking their next call are the worst though

Strange isn't it i find car drivers to be the worst offenders (silver van holder myself)....and why are we just concentrating on mobile phones ...the number of times i have sat in the drive thru at the Macdonalds at shoreham and seen people in CARS driving out one handed munching on there big mac beggars belief

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here